10. Oh! The Grandeur
  11. Thrills

The Shins
  1. Wincing the Night Away
  2. Chutes Too Narrow
  3. Oh, Inverted World
  4. Port of Morrow
  5. Heartworms

Big Head Todd And The Monsters (Studio Albums)

• Midnight Radio (1990)
  • Stratagem (1994)
  • Another Mayberry (1989)
  • Beautiful World (1997)
  • Sister Sweetly (1993)
  • Riviera (2002)
  • Crimes of Passion (2004)
  • Rocksteady (2010)
  • All the Love You Need (2007)
  • Black Beehive (2014)
  • New World Arisin' (2017)

The Blood Brothers
March on Electric Children
•Crimes
•Young Machetes
•…Burn, Piano Island, Burn
•This Adultery is Ripe
•Rumors Laid Waste

HORSE the Band
•The Mechanical Hand
•R. Borlax
•Desperate Living
•The Secret Rhythm of the Universe
•Pizza EP
•A Natural Death
•Your Fault

Last edited:
Muse
  1. Origin of Symmetry (8.5/10)
  2. Absolution (7.5/10)
  3. Black Holes and Revelations (6.5/10)
  4. Showbiz (6/10)
  5. The Resistance (6/10)
  6. The 2nd Law (2/10)
  7. Drones (1/10)

I was a massive Muse fan in the late 2000s so I wanted to give their whole discography a listen since I hadn't heard anything since The Resistance. Seems like I wasn't missing anything.... I added scores for context of a pretty significant drop off.

I didn't listen to Simulation Theory since I just can't do it. The 2nd Law and Drones were progressively worse and worse albums. And that album artwork for Simulation Theory doesn't fill me with any hope. It'd probably be last on here.

The Resistance was the beginning of the end. Everything since then is just empty, boring 1984 fan fiction. What happened?

Muse
  1. Origin of Symmetry (8.5/10)
  2. Absolution (7.5/10)
  3. Black Holes and Revelations (6.5/10)
  4. Showbiz (6/10)
  5. The Resistance (6/10)
  6. The 2nd Law (2/10)
  7. Drones (1/10)

I was a massive Muse fan in the late 2000s so I wanted to give their whole discography a listen since I hadn't heard anything since The Resistance. Seems like I wasn't missing anything.... I added scores for context of a pretty significant drop off.

I didn't listen to Simulation Theory since I just can't do it. The 2nd Law and Drones were progressively worse and worse albums. And that album artwork for Simulation Theory doesn't fill me with any hope. It'd probably be last on here.

The Resistance was the beginning of the end. Everything since then is just empty, boring 1984 fan fiction. What happened?

It was always in them. They always had that must write a 27 minute long rock opera that bores the pants off everyone quality. They just completely gave into it. Matt Bellamy is also hella crazy and hella paranoid. You’re much nicer to The Resistance than I would be, for me that’s the first prog wank album.

It was always in them. They always had that must write a 27 minute long rock opera that bores the pants off everyone quality. They just completely gave into it. Matt Bellamy is also hella crazy and hella paranoid. You’re much nicer to The Resistance than I would be, for me that’s the first prog wank album.
I have fond memories of it because it was the first new album of theirs I heard as a fan. That’s probably doing some heavy lifting on my rating. I was torn between a 5 and a 6.

Tbf they’ve done those longish rock opera-esque songs spectacularly with “New Born”, “Citizen Erazed”, “Space Dementia”, “Stockholm Syndrome”, “Butterflies and Hurricanes”, “Knights of Cydonia”, and even “The Globalist” from Drones is probably the only reason that album gets anything other than a zero. It’s just everything else and changing of their styles was a terrible, terrible decision.

I have fond memories of it because it was the first new album of theirs I heard as a fan. That’s probably doing some heavy lifting on my rating. I was torn between a 5 and a 6.

Tbf they’ve done those longish rock opera-esque songs spectacularly with “New Born”, “Citizen Erazed”, “Space Dementia”, “Stockholm Syndrome”, “Butterflies and Hurricanes”, “Knights of Cydonia”, and even “The Globalist” from Drones is probably the only reason that album gets anything other than a zero. It’s just everything else and changing of their styles was a terrible, terrible decision.

Knights of Cydonia is really poor and overlong imo. All the rest of them you listed are songs, they might be over 3 minutes but they also don’t go on for three years of noodling and paranoid warbling, there is a definite tune and melody in there and they some form of a beginning middle and end. It did feel more like a progression towards their worst impulses rather than a change as someone who listened to them since they first emerged.

Knights of Cydonia is really poor and overlong imo. All the rest of them you listed are songs, they might be over 3 minutes but they also don’t go on for three years of noodling and paranoid warbling, there is a definite tune and melody in there and they some form of a beginning middle and end. It did feel more like a progression towards their worst impulses rather than a change as someone who listened to them since they first emerged.
yeah, I guess the point I meant to make is that those songs are rock opera-esque tracks that wrap up several ideas nicely under 8 minutes or less. They don't need to be overly long. The Resistance started that decline with there being a 3 part song at the end for no reason.

i was a huge muse fan for their first three albums... and after that... ehhhhhh; (2nd) law of diminishing returns

in saying that, i thought the last album was a return to form (relatively speaking), as it at least displayed a bit more of a sense of humour

and the metal-adjacent vibe of the new single has me keen to hear more

muse: origin of symmetry > absolution > showbiz > (hullabaloo >) black holes and revelations > simulation theory > the resistance > the 2nd law > drones

Since both have great new albums out:

Big Thief
1. Dragon New Warm Mountain I Believe in You
2. Two Hands
3. Masterpiece
4. Capacity
5. UFOF

Animal Collective
1. Feels
2. Strawberry Jam
3. Sung Tongs
4. Merriweather Post Pavillion
5. Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished
6. Time Skiffs
7. Here Comes The Indian
8. Campfire Songs
9. Danse Manatee
10. Painting With..
11. Centipede HZ
12. Tangerine Reef

Since both have great new albums out:

Big Thief
1. Dragon New Warm Mountain I Believe in You
2. Two Hands
3. Masterpiece
4. Capacity
5. UFOF

Animal Collective
1. Feels
2. Strawberry Jam
3. Sung Tongs
4. Merriweather Post Pavillion
5. Spirit They're Gone, Spirit They've Vanished
6. Time Skiffs
7. Here Comes The Indian
8. Campfire Songs
9. Danse Manatee
10. Painting With..
11. Centipede HZ
12. Tangerine Reef
I think if you moved MPP to the top and swapped Feels and Strawberry Jam this would be my list also.

I would say this is where I am at. I own the top 4 on wax (along with Person Pitch and Tomboy) and am probably gonna buy the new one.
That's definitely the essential stack of wax to have. I'd add in the Fall Be Kind EP too if you come across it as it fits in well with the rest of those. I just really love Spirit They're Gone so much too, even if it's not as melodically pleasant as 1-4. It's such a fun, weird, psychedelic, more modern Syd Barrett era Pink Floyd album, lol.

Back