🤔 I will give this a try.

1. Year of the Snitch
2. The Powers That B
3. Exmilitary
4. The Money Store
5. NO LOVE DEEP WEB
6. Bottomless Pit
7. Government Plates
((I don't really count Fashion Week in their main discography, but if I had to include it, I might put it a smidge above GP))

Although this changes all the time 😅 it's very hard for me to choose between my top 2 choices because I love them equally for different reasons. The Powers That B is a masterpiece that I think will forever stand as their magnum opus, but on a personal level, Year of the Snitch is an album that I find to be near flawless in its execution and one that I never get tired of listening to. So you can kind of flip flop them either way and I think it's still pretty accurate to my opinion overall. The only album of theirs I don't care for much is Government Plates and even it has it's moments.

I can appreciate this take. Stankonia, although it’s considered as the album that brought Outkast into the mainstream discussion, has some of their least accessible material. The beats felt futuristic and Andre turned the weirdness up extra. Even Big Boi adopted an unorthodox flow on some tracks.
This is exactly why I would put it at the top. I remember when it dropped and how B.O.B. was such a departure from other hip hop at the time. Even the roots were naming that song as shit they wanted to do (ie a fast hip hop song that was serious) and that they felt Outkast beat them to it, and this was around the time of things fall apart and roots were untouchable. Speakerbox/ love below is when I felt they started to drift. Real pop stuff like Ms Jackson and hey ya etc

radiohead: ok computer > in rainbows > a moon shaped pool > the bends > kid a > hail to the thief > amnesiac > king of limbs > pablo honey

Amnesiac > OK Computer > Hail to the Thief > The Bends > A Moon Shaped Pool > Kid A > In Rainbows > King of Limbs: Live From the Basement >>> King of Limbs > Pablo Honey

They are my favorite band though

And then because I've been on a Modest Mouse binge:

1) Lonesome Crowded West
2) The Moon and Antarctica
3) Building Something Out of Nothing
4) Good News for People Who Love Bad News
5) Strangers to Ourselves
6) This is A Long Drive For Someone with Nothing to Think About
7) Everywhere and His Nasty Parlour Tricks EP
8) The Golden Casket
9) We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank
10) The Fruit That Ate Itself EP
11) No One's First and Your Next

Ugly Casanova would be @ #4 if we were just doing Issac Brock projects. TBD for A Golden Casket.

And yes, I'm aware that even just yesterday in a different thread I mentioned being disappointed in Stranger to Ourselves when it dropped. It slowly grew on me and then didn't stick.

However-- I listened to it twice through yesterday and suddenly the couple of poppier tracks I didn't like (Ala Wicked Campaign) were clicking for me. And the highs (Shit in Your Cut, Be Brave, The Tourtise and the Hair) are so fucking high.

Edit: I have been listening to Strangers to Ourselves non-stop all week alongside the new one. Adjusted accordingly.

Last edited:
This is the worst album rankings I've ever seen before

I've listened to the new album 4 times so far, so it's ready to rank

The Mountain Goats
  1. All Hail West Texas
  2. Full Force Galesburg
  3. The Coroner's Gambit
  4. Tallahassee
  5. The Sunset Tree
  6. Get Lonely
  7. Sweden
  8. All Eternals Deck
  9. Beat the Champ
  10. Zopilote Machine
  11. The Life of the World to Come
  12. Transcendental Youth
  13. In League With Dragons
  14. Goths
  15. Dark In Here
  16. Nothing For Juice
  17. Songs for Pierre Chauvin
  18. Getting Into Knives
  19. Heretic Pride
  20. We Shall All Be Healed

Ok, this is only after one full listen of Golden Casket, but here's what I got:

1. Lonesome Crowded West
2. Moon and Antarctica
3. This is a Long Drive For Someone with Nothing to Think About
4. Building Something Out of Nothing
5. Everywhere and His Nasty Parlour Tricks
6. Good News for People Who Love Bad News
7. No One's First and You're Next
8. The Fruit that Ate Itself
9. We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank
10. The Golden Casket (possible tie with Ship)
11. Sad Sappy Sucker
12. Strangers to Ourselves

Honestly, the gulf between the top and the bottom isn't exceptionally wide, though Strangers (to me) is quite a bottoming out for the band. I think I just find that as the band refined and expanded its sound, a lot of the bite went away. The lyrics still have strength, but the songwriting is a lot simpler. I know I sound exactly like a "their old stuff was better" snob, but M&A was such a peak and evolution for them, and I'd describe their sound ever since as "coasting." Not declining, just coasting.

And yeah, Ugly Cassanova would be 3rd (or force a three-way tie for first; I tried to force myself away from ties)

Last edited:
Ok, this is only after one full listen of Golden Casket, but here's what I got:

1. Lonesome Crowded West
2. Moon and Antarctica
3. This is a Long Drive For Someone with Nothing to Think About
4. Building Something Out of Nothing
5. Everywhere and His Nasty Parlour Tricks
6. Good News for People Who Love Bad News
7. No One's First and You're Next
8. The Fruit that Ate Itself
9. We Were Dead Before the Ship Even Sank
10. The Golden Casket (possible tie with Ship)
11. Strangers to Ourselves

Honestly, the gulf between the top and the bottom isn't exceptionally wide, though Strangers (to me) is quite a bottoming out for the band. I think I just find that as the band refined and expanded its sound, a lot of the bite went away. The lyrics still have strength, but the songwriting is a lot simpler. I know I sound exactly like a "their old stuff was better" snob, but M&A was such a peak and evolution for them, and I'd describe their sound ever since as "coasting." Not declining, just coasting.

And yeah, Ugly Cassanova would be 3rd (or force a three-way tie for first; I tried to force myself away from ties)

I'm at 4 listens through Golden. I think for me it places after Long Drive but ahead of We Were Dead (which is to me, the clear bottoming out even if a lot of younger fans disagree). First half of the album (Acid-Transistor) is *really* strong to these ears but I'm still gauging my feelings on the 2nd half of the album. That said, it's a sonically dense album that feels like it's destined to be a grower.

You and I have talked Modest Mouse many times over the years, but I'll just say that Strangers started out as my most disappointing album of the 10s but has really clicked for me recently. I think my lukewarm feelings towards parts of Dead caused me to rush-judge Strangers. Anyways, I'd encourage you to re-visit it.

I'm at 4 listens through Golden. I think for me it places after Long Drive but ahead of We Were Dead (which is to me, the clear bottoming out even if a lot of younger fans disagree). First half of the album (Acid-Transistor) is *really* strong to these ears but I'm still gauging my feelings on the 2nd half of the album. That said, it's a sonically dense album that feels like it's destined to be a grower.

You and I have talked Modest Mouse many times over the years, but I'll just say that Strangers started out as my most disappointing album of the 10s but has really clicked for me recently. I think my lukewarm feelings towards parts of Dead caused me to rush-judge Strangers. Anyways, I'd encourage you to re-visit it.
It's been a minute since I listened to We Were Dead and I think I'm giving it a lot of credit for individual standout tracks moreso than the cohesive whole; I was definitely doing a lot of shuffling in 2007/8. I'll give that and Strangers another shot; maybe my ranking will drastically change with some relistens and letting Golden Casket sink in.

Bruce Springsteen

01. Darkness on the Edge of Town
02. Nebraska
03. The River
04. Born in the U.S.A.
05. Born to Run
06. Tunnel of Love
07. Greetings From Asbury Park, N.J.
08. The Ghost of Tom Joad
09. The Rising
10. Wrecking Ball
11. The Wild, the Innocent & the E Street Shuffle
12. Letter To You
13. We Shall Overcome: The Seeger Sessions
14. Devils & Dust
15. Magic
16. High Hopes
17. Working on a Dream
18. Western Stars
19. Human Touch
20. Lucky Town

Radiohead
1. The Bends
2. In Rainbows
3. Kid A
4. OK Computer
5. Amnesiac
6. Pablo Honey
7. Hail to the Thief
8. A Moon Shaped Pool
9. King of Limbs

Figured I'd throw out my hot take that Pablo Honey isn't that bad. I bought it when it came out and it still hits a spot for me.
I’m with you. I’d rather listen to Pablo Honey than anything they’ve put out since In Rainbows.

I’m with you. I’d rather listen to Pablo Honey than anything they’ve put out since In Rainbows.
Alright, this needs to be nipped in the bud. Pablo Honey is not a very good record. The previous lists were much closer to correct then any list that doesn’t have PH in the final spot…

1. OK Computer
2. Kid A
3. In Rainbows
4. The Bends
5. Amnesiac

6. A Moon Shaped Pool
7. Hail To The Thief
8. King Of Limbs

9. Pablo Honey

The top 3 are really interchangeable and there isn’t really a wrong order there. Same for 4 through 7 the order of those won’t matter and more of a personal preference. KOL should always be 8 though it’s not a bad record, it’s is just not up to par with the other in their vaunted catalog. “Creep” is brilliant but one fantastic song doesn’t make Pablo Honey a good album. It belongs at the bottom of the list by a wide margin and I think Radiohead would likely support that sentiment.

Alright, this needs to be nipped in the bud. Pablo Honey is not a very good record. The previous lists were much closer to correct then any list that doesn’t have PH in the final spot…

1. OK Computer
2. Kid A
3. In Rainbows
4. The Bends
5. Amnesiac

6. A Moon Shaped Pool
7. Hail To The Thief
8. King Of Limbs

9. Pablo Honey

The top 3 are really interchangeable and there isn’t really a wrong order there. Same for 4 through 7 the order of those won’t matter and more of a personal preference. KOL should always be 8 though it’s not a bad record, it’s is just not up to par with the other in their vaunted catalog. “Creep” is brilliant but one fantastic song doesn’t make Pablo Honey a good album. It belongs at the bottom of the list by a wide margin and I think Radiohead would likely support that sentiment.

I agree that Pablo Honey is a flawed album, but so are TKOL and AMSP. I know there are a lot of big AMSP fans on this forum, but I find that album to be so, so unexciting. I get that it is far more sophisticated than Pablo Honey, but I'd rather listen to "Prove Yourself" or "Blow Out" over anything on AMSP.

Back