Racquets and Balls: The Tennis (the sport, not the band) Discussion Thread

Don't sleep on AA who just took out Zverev today, he's playing some good tennis. Two Canadians in the quarters... wild...

Definitely didn't mean to sleep on AA, he is one of the most entertaining players to watch right now. Loved seeing him and Monfils play each other. Though I was a little bummed he took out Zverev.

Definitely didn't mean to sleep on AA, he is one of the most entertaining players to watch right now. Loved seeing him and Monfils play each other. Though I was a little bummed he took out Zverev.
I'm not gunna lie, I very much assumed after he dropped the third set that he was cooked. It's kinda his M.O. to gas out in long matches and blow leads. But I mean he's super young and still learning how to win so no biggie there... But there was a rain delay going into the fifth and I think that really helped him pull it out.

I'm not gunna lie, I very much assumed after he dropped the third set that he was cooked. It's kinda his M.O. to gas out in long matches and blow leads. But I mean he's super young and still learning how to win so no biggie there... But there was a rain delay going into the fifth and I think that really helped him pull it out.

Yeah... I've watched a lot of AA matches and you are 100% right about his tendency to blow matches which is one reason (not the only reason) I was rooting for Zverev. I think AZ would have been more of a threat moving deeper in the tournament, but fair play to AA because Zverev couldn't close the deal today. The rain delay definitely helped by taking away AZ's momentum.

Yeah... I've watched a lot of AA matches and you are 100% right about his tendency to blow matches which is one reason (not the only reason) I was rooting for Zverev. I think AZ would have been more of a threat moving deeper in the tournament, but fair play to AA because Zverev couldn't close the deal today. The rain delay definitely helped by taking away AZ's momentum.
Agreed on the threat aspect. But not only did he not close it out, he also double faulted something like 13 times which is absolutely bonkers. So yeah, AA definitely had some help. But both he and Shapo are capable of beating their next opponents. Until they run into DJoker and then byeeeeeeee...

Agreed on the threat aspect. But not only did he not close it out, he also double faulted something like 13 times which is absolutely bonkers. So yeah, AA definitely had some help. But both he and Shapo are capable of beating their next opponents. Until they run into DJoker and then byeeeeeeee...

Fingers crossed Shapovalov has the match of his life against Djokovic. And yeah, Zverev had done a better than usual job of protecting his serve this tournament but those doubles bit him hard today.

If Berrettini can keep the consistency on that serve that he showed in the final set against AA, he is going to be very dangerous moving forward. His serve looked untouchable. He was nonchalantly hitting 130MPH right down the T.

I hope Karolina Pliskova can take the same level she showed against Sabalenka into the final. She was moving around the court very well today which is normally her biggest weakness.

I am listening to Nine Inch Nails at an obscene volume while watching US Open Tennis and it's glorious and I credit @Yer Ol' Uncle D for the idea after his Ministry and Olympic Badminton revelation. It just fucking works.
The power of Al Jourgensen compels you.

20210907_004940.jpg

Also I'm not convinced that Andreescu's mother actually knows where she is at any given time.

Either that or she's the most chill motherfucker on the planet. Which... okay good on ya. But... I don't think that's it...

Last edited:
I've been watching it off and on. Just been too busy to watch as much as I would like.

Bummed that Andreescu got knocked out but at least she got knocked out by someone good. There have been some wild upsets.

Oh wow! Emma Raducanu looked like a future champion at Wimbledon but I thought it’d be much further in the future! What a story!

Back