Racquets and Balls: The Tennis (the sport, not the band) Discussion Thread

Well if I can toot my own horn, ALL of the matches I pointed out were pretty exceptional. The Kyrgios-Humbert will probably go down as one of the top 5 matches of the tournament imo.

Struff vs. Medvedev
Verdasco vs Dimitrov
Shapovalov vs Kohlschreiber
Tsitsipas vs Tiafoe
Isner vs Nishioka
Kyrgios vs Humbert
Federer vs Mannarino

Looking forward to Murray later. I hope he can defy his body and go deep. It’d hugely add to the tournament and its atmosphere if he could!

If he can force his way over the line this 5 setter could be the best thing to happen to Murray. He actually is moving really well all things considered but he looks rusty and in need of all the competitive tennis he can get.

If he can force his way over the line this 5 setter could be the best thing to happen to Murray. He actually is moving really well all things considered but he looks rusty and in need of all the competitive tennis he can get.

Agreed. I think struggling through this five setter was probably a good result, all told. He took a couple nasty spills but like you said, he is moving pretty well. He needs to limit the unforced errors a little more but that is all part of shaking off the rust. Shapovalov will be a real test though.

Agreed. I think struggling through this five setter was probably a good result, all told. He took a couple nasty spills but like you said, he is moving pretty well. He needs to limit the unforced errors a little more but that is all part of shaking off the rust. Shapovalov will be a real test though.

Yeah I think with 2 years out the grass is particularly lush. There have been a lot of slips in all the matches. I think come next week once the courts have seen more play they’ll have worn and compacted down and there will be less of that.

Yeah the 5 setter will have done his feel and competitive edge the world of good and there were some glimpses. I loved the two topspin lobs for the last two points. I love a good topspin lob and Murray is right up there with Agassi as one of the best I’ve seen at executing it!

Yeah I think with 2 years out the grass is particularly lush. There have been a lot of slips in all the matches. I think come next week once the courts have seen more play they’ll have worn and compacted down and there will be less of that.

Yeah the 5 setter will have done his feel and competitive edge the world of good and there were some glimpses. I loved the two topspin lobs for the last two points. I love a good topspin lob and Murray is right up there with Agassi as one of the best I’ve seen at executing it!

Duncan's the best of the Murray boys though...

Yeah, he had feel for that lob towards the end of the match which was great to see. As you said, there were some definite glimpses of the Murray of Wimbledons past.

I'm so offended with the title of this thread claims to be about racquets and balls, but excludes the smaller racquet and ball sports. How can this possibly happen in this new era of inclusivity? What about racquetball? Pickleball? Badminton? So insensitive! 🤪😉

In all seriousness, I have never been able to get the hang of tennis, but I love watching the big events on TV. I'm a life long raquetballer, and we just picked up pickleball as well. Just haven't been able to get the hang of the longer tennis racquet without it turning into a baseball swing going over the fence. I give it a try every few years, and it gets a little closer ever time. Maybe by the time I'm in my 40s I can actually get into tennis... just in time for my knees to blow out, haha.

I'm so offended with the title of this thread claims to be about racquets and balls, but excludes the smaller racquet and ball sports. How can this possibly happen in this new era of inclusivity? What about racquetball? Pickleball? Badminton? So insensitive! 🤪😉

In all seriousness, I have never been able to get the hang of tennis, but I love watching the big events on TV. I'm a life long raquetballer, and we just picked up pickleball as well. Just haven't been able to get the hang of the longer tennis racquet without it turning into a baseball swing going over the fence. I give it a try every few years, and it gets a little closer ever time. Maybe by the time I'm in my 40s I can actually get into tennis... just in time for my knees to blow out, haha.

Hahaha. My deepest apologies. Please feel free to discuss as much badminton as you would like in this thread.

I'm the reverse. I grew up playing tennis and was never able to get the hang of racquetball. I've tried several times. I've never tried pickleball or badminton.

This Shapovalov is wild. An absolute traction engine of a backhand but man is it as likely to fly wide as in! Exactly the type of lefty that Murray always used to trouble with and have to grind down even when he was at his best.

Murray looked completely gassed, but if this is his swan song, he can walk out with his held high after a couple wins.

Really sucks for kyrgios this morning. Must have pulled his groin or something. It was looking like a spicy one with Felix too.

Young Emma Raducanu is definitely the story of the finals so far. Up against another unseeded player next so hopefully her story can keep going!

Last edited:
Really stoked for Fucsovics taking down rublev. He's been one of my favorite dark horses for awhile now and the quarterfinals is a great break through. He'll get toasted by Djokovic but still happy for him.

I'm bummed I missed khachanov/korda. That looked like an absolute bloodbath!

Bummed to see Raducanu go out the way she did but I am happy for Tomljanovic. Also happy to see Golubic progressing to the next round.

On the men's side, Federer looked great today which is awesome to see. I don't see Fucsovics putting up much of a fight against Djokovic but I do think Shapovalov (if he keeps playing as well he has been) could pose a challenge if they meet each other in the semis.

Bummed to see Raducanu go out the way she did but I am happy for Tomljanovic. Also happy to see Golubic progressing to the next round.

On the men's side, Federer looked great today which is awesome to see. I don't see Fucsovics putting up much of a fight against Djokovic but I do think Shapovalov (if he keeps playing as well he has been) could pose a challenge if they meet each other in the semis.
Don't sleep on AA who just took out Zverev today, he's playing some good tennis. Two Canadians in the quarters... wild...

Back