Pre-Order Thread

In addition to the Orange Julius, I’ve also never had one of these
It’s pretty simple to make and tasty if you like Peanut butter sandwiches my SO is a vegetarian so she can’t enjoy most marshmallows since they contain gelatin but a jar marshmallow fluff doesn’t contain gelatin so we have it around the house and will occasionally use it to make a fluffer-nutter.

I assume @Yer Ol' Uncle D has similar thoughts to me on this that if it’s just the mercs from 1972, it isn’t really the Crowes. I’ll be keen to listen to it, but have a hard time getting as stoked as I should.

I assume the song isn’t actually up anywhere since it is presaves everywhere? It isn’t up at Qobuz.

Which Crowes are you talking about?

The 1st Demo Crowes including Rich, Chris, Jeff Sullivan?
The Mr. Crowes Garden Quartet?
The first 5-piece: Robinson x2, Gorman, Johnny Colt and Jeff Cease?
The Crowes before Harsch with Chuck Leavell on keys?
The Crowes with Harsch and Cease or with Harsch when Cease was replaced by Marc Ford?
The Crowes with Audley and Pipen?
The Crowes with Greg Rzab?
The Crowes with Ford and Pipen but not Gorman ?
The Crowes with Luther Dickenson?

I mean there have been so many lineup changes over the years.

And since Eddie Harsch died - I'm never getting back what I consider to be the best lineup anyway: Long Haired Super-Beard Jesus Christ Impersonator Chris; Reliable Rich and Steve; Bluesy Marc Ford and Cowboy Johnny Colt.

Personally, I could give a :poop: who they roll out so long as I'm getting some of that Hardest Working Band In Rock N' Roll sound that seems to have gone extinct.

And while we are on the topic - and I know its not the hot takes thread - but Steve Gorman's drums are mid bro. They ain't' dog-water, but they ain't bussin' either.

I agree with parts of both your posts...

@Lee Newman - "It isn’t really the Crowes."

@Viking Dan - "And since Eddie Harsch died - I'm never getting back what I consider to be the best lineup anyway: Long Haired Super-Beard Jesus Christ Impersonator Chris; Reliable Rich and Steve; Bluesy Marc Ford and Cowboy Johnny Colt."

You're both 100% correct.

Whether you think Gorman was essential or not, he was obviously essential enough that the band begged him to come back in 2005. I saw a Bill Dubrow show on that tour and witnessed firsthand the wrath rained down on him from Rich and Chris during the gig. The Crowes could survive changing guitarists and bassists, but they never performed the same way without Steve. Like it or not, he's essential to The Crowes.

As much as Chris and Rich like to think they're The Black Crowes, how could they have been so blind (see what I did there) to realize The Black Crowes was the sum of some perfect parts, not the product of two individuals. If you heard 'The Black Crowes Present Shake Your Moneymaker Live', a live document from the last tour, you know it's 50% ok and 50% lifeless.

This was driven home in all The Southern Harmony And Musical Companion anniversary release videos with George Drakoulias. If you haven't seen any of these, they analyze tracks and talk about the construction, recording and performance of the songs. Other members of the band who created this great record are rarely mentioned. In the rare cases they are, they're mentioned in jest. They tear down the recording of 'Sometimes Salvation' and never mention the name of Marc Ford who lays down arguably the greatest solo in Crowes history in that song. A shining example of the pettiness and self-absorption of the Robinson's that has turned me off in multiple ways.

I've seen The Crowes live more than any other band - around 50 times. My first show was in March 1990. I've been there from the beginning. I love The Black Crowes music, but I abhor the pettiness and greed exhibited by the Robinson brothers over the last few years.

Steve Gorman's book is a great read. I'd recommend the CD version with Steve reading it if you can find one. And yes, I've heard all the comments from the Robinson camp about how it's all bullshit. At the same time, these are the only comments I've heard about it all being bullshit and I'm waiting for their book.

lf

1705931753042.png

Back