Pre-Order Thread

Jason Isbell & The 400 Unit "Live at Twist & Shout" repress by New west on exclusive green limited to 500

what's your beef with MOV?

Personally my beef is that they don’t necessarily get permission from the artists themselves, we’ve seen Super Furry Animals get stung recently when MOV put out one of their releases while the band had been working on their own reissue themselves, just that MOV beat them to it. Don’t think it’s the first time something like that has happened either (think The Mars Volta also weren’t happy when MOV repressed some of their albums).

Secondly I don’t have many of their releases but I’ve heard a couple of bad reviews about some of their pressings and occasionally low quality artwork, these tend to be the anomaly but just because it’s MOV doesn’t mean it’s always going to be superb quality.

Personally my beef is that they don’t necessarily get permission from the artists themselves, we’ve seen Super Furry Animals get stung recently when MOV put out one of their releases while the band had been working on their own reissue themselves, just that MOV beat them to it. Don’t think it’s the first time something like that has happened either (think The Mars Volta also weren’t happy when MOV repressed some of their albums).

Secondly I don’t have many of their releases but I’ve heard a couple of bad reviews about some of their pressings and occasionally low quality artwork, these tend to be the anomaly but just because it’s MOV doesn’t mean it’s always going to be superb quality.

MOV is not an audiophile label, but they mostly put out good pressing of good records, I never had any duds from them (that doesn't say that they do not exists).

For the first point, I think that MOV does legally all they are required to do, and license the music from their records from the rights owners, but in Europe since they are Netherland based. That's were the conflict with artists might arise, because sometimes they do not own the right to their music in Europe for many reasons (the main one being that the record companies are led by sharks), but we live in a globalised world were merchandise can be bought from all over the world.

Last edited:

Yeah there was miscommunication on that SFA between the band and Sony(?) who authorized the MOV release.

For what it’s worth, MOV cancelled this reissue and now we are just waiting until 2021 for the official band reissue.

MOV is not an audiophile label, but they mostly put out good pressing of good records, I never had any duds from them (that doesn't say that they do not exists).

For the first point, I think that MOV does legally all they are required to do, and license the music from their records from the rights owners, but in Europe since they are Netherland based. That's were the conflict with artists might arise, because sometimes they do not own the right to their music in Europe for many reasons (the main one being that the record companies are led by sharks), but we live in a globalised world were merchandise can be bought from all over the world.

Yeah, sorry I was never accusing them of being illegitimate, I just always feel a bit of a disconnect between MOV releases and the actual artists themselves, usually releases get hyped up by the artists, they're stocked on their own webstore, etc, so when the majority of MOV releases are just sent out to stores across the globe it always feels like the artist didn't really have any sort of involvement (and worse case scenario actively is against them being pressed).

Still, I don't turn my nose up at any of their releases if they're the only ones putting it out there. They've managed to unearth some gems of albums that desperately needed repressing.

Maybe I'm just still bitter that the UK distributor for blue copies of Call Me By Your Name overestimated their allocation and I ended up with nada.

what's your beef with MOV?

MOV is perfectly adequate. But that's the problem imo, they are just perfectly adequate.

For example: I purchased an unopened copy of MOV pressing of Mathew Sweet's 100% Fun. I love that record and the purchase was fine...until the Intervention Records pressings were released. The IR pressing was superior in quality, sound and packaging.

A 1st Press of God Fodder has long been a White Whale of mine. I have yet to see any vinyl in the wild here in the US. So if I'm going to own 2 Copies and have to go in on a NON-OG press of God Fodder until I can come upon one in the wild - I'd like it to be a definitive reissue. My experience with MOV is that this will not be that. Still, I don't know how many people are clamoring for this release....like I am.

Soul Step Records proudly announces, SSR-049 with Fort Defiance! After collaborating on the sold out 7” single earlier with Soul Step, the partnership brings their landmark album, “The Haunts of Youth” on vinyl.

This has been one of the biggest requests from fans of the label, to release this album on vinyl. Soul Step is excited to have another sure-fire sold out release on their hands.

Fort Defiance are probably one of the hardest working bands in the business. Playing over 250 shows a year and covering countless miles on their van. They continue to capture new fans at each stop with their high-energy and intimate show.

This album is for fans of Shovels & Rope, Brandi Carlile, and The Civil Wars. Their brand of sincere Country music broods with energy as their Two voices seemingly blend into One. From the first chord to the last, this album is full of heartbreaking and gorgeous tunes.

Limited to 100 "FIST FIGHT VINYL" will go on sale on Saturday, July 6th to Soul Step Subscribers.

If you want to know more about what we do - you can jump in the Soul Step thread in Vinyl Clubs.

Attachments

• IMG_5639.jpg
    IMG_5639.jpg
    494.7 KB · Views: 8
  • IMG_5640.jpg
    IMG_5640.jpg
    382.3 KB · Views: 7
Back