Pre-Order Thread

Thad Cockrell takes exception to this characterization.

But yeah, like I don't need to rehash the Amazon Record Club discussion too much but $25 for London Calling or The Wall vs. $43 for a special color of Word of Mouf by Ludacris and we're slagging the first one feels weird to me*. Like the Amazon thing is low effort and lowest common denominator but I bet for a lot of people it'd be better than most other subs for their usage.

*I love Luda, just picking the most recent thing I saw. I could say $28 for a jacked up pressing of Dolly Parton's Christmas album that arrives in January or $40 for a mystery album from Rough Trade (to pick two companies I have given money to) or pick whatever club really etc.

Please, stop giving this asshat your money.

1625148178616.png

You don't need a $25 Copy of London Calling THAT bad.

Please, stop giving this asshat your money.

View attachment 104355

You don't need a $25 Copy of London Calling THAT bad.

Space is undefeated.

But no, they're not getting my money for this club, not what I want out of a record club personally, I just don't think as a club it's a bad one. I totally respect anyone who doesn't want to go for it because they don't want to support the Amazon behemoth regardless of any club qualities.

1625149965413.png

1625150062684.png

1625150452685.png

Which "asshat" would you prefer we give our money to? Name a retailer or media company that doesn't have an "asshat" at the top.
I'm not ignorant of the way commerce works.
I mean I am the the guy posting "Hooker with a Penis" lyrics here.

I'm just advocating for the concept that in this 1st world hobby where we are spending $$ on pieces of colored polyvinyl chloride, pressed into discs and then marked with little grooves so we can drag a tiny piece of a gemstone through the groove to produce the sound - maybe you can afford to NOT go with the most obviously convenient method of purchasing those products in the commercial pipeline so that the money from this particular hobby doesn't line the pockets of someone who really doesn't need your fatass dirty dollar and to prevent it from ALSO being subsumed and maybe give that money, and just a little more, to a local store so shit like this stops happening:

Last edited:
I mean I am the the guy posting "Hooker with Penis" lyrics here.

I'm just advocating for the concept that in this 1st world hobby where we are spending $$ on pieces of colored polyvinyl chloride, pressed into discs and then marked with little grooves so we can drag a tiny piece of a gemstone through the groove to produce the sound - maybe you can afford to NOT go with the most obviously convenient method of purchasing those products in the commercial pipeline so that the money from this particular hobby doesn't line the pockets of someone who really doesn't need your fatass dirty dollar and to prevent it from ALSO being subsumed and maybe give that money, and just a little more, to a local store so shit like this stops happening:

I know a few people who shopped there. One of my closest local friends, who is a long-time record collector, said their used/wall prices are insanely high. Another person I know said the owner was a rip-off buyer. So take those for what they are, anecdotes, but I don't feel that supporting overpriced shops does us all good, either.

Agree! My purchases are typically directly from the artist at shows or independent record stores, similar situation with beer!

I know a few people who shopped there. One of my closest local friends, who is a long-time record collector, said their used/wall prices are insanely high. Another person I know said the owner was a rip-off buyer. So take those for what they are, anecdotes, but I don't feel that supporting overpriced shops does us all good, either.
Woah! Didn’t see this. Used to go there for RSD until I realized they were picking through the releases before letting people in, pretty shitty. But they’re one of the biggest in the state, if not the biggest. Always wondered how they afforded their rent, but their prices were pretty high compared to anything else (almost always above Discogs median on used stuff). Still, what a shame.

In NJ, Revilla Grooves & Gear and PREX are great shops to support.

Rent is certainly a big factor in keeping a B&M store open. I'm sure it varies a lot based on location.
Heard great things about Revilla and PREX. I’m up in Northern NJ and have been going to Tunes in Hoboken which is a great shop. Vintage Vinyl is HUGE and in a strip mall where everything around it has basically shuttered. It was always crowded on RSD but it is massive for a record store these days, especially one that’s not in a heavily trafficked area. I imagine this was a rent issue and that would explain why their prices were always stupid high.

Back