Pre-Order Thread

Solid Gold is quite great. Doesn’t quite reach the same highs as Entertainment! But it’s good nonetheless. Songs of the Free is solid too but I haven’t listened to anything outside of those three.
I like Solid Gold. The boxset is a bit overpriced for what it is. The live set is good quality and has been bootlegged for years. I think it was professionally recorded as they intended to release it back in the 80s. For me it will come down to where it is pressed, fingers crossed that Matador doesn't cheap out here.

Is it just me or do live albums seem to be making a comeback? War on Drugs, Belle & Sebastian and now Arctic Monkeys. I guess people are craving live music.
I find it weird, as I mostly hate live albums on vinyl. The point of this vice to me is sound fidelity and that's really difficult to master from a live recording. The exception being live small studio recordings where they're actually balanced and well mixed.

I find it weird, as I mostly hate live albums on vinyl. The point of this vice to me is sound fidelity and that's really difficult to master from a live recording. The exception being live small studio recordings where they're actually balanced and well mixed.

Agreed, I'm not generally a fan of live recordings on vinyl...but I'm also okay with everyone making them now, because I need to chill on buying records for a bit :)

I can understand this but there's definitely exceptions. Pulse sounds awesome on vinyl. Also the My Morning Jacket one. But I've definitely got some crummy sounding live albums on vinyl (Looking at you Of Montreal!)

I can understand this but there's definitely exceptions. Pulse sounds awesome on vinyl. Also the My Morning Jacket one. But I've definitely got some crummy sounding live albums on vinyl (Looking at you Of Montreal!)
And it's so sad that the Of Montreal live album sounds like crap because their live show is so amazing! Definitely one of the best shows I've been to. Wilco, Ryan Adams, and Neil Young have some of the better live albums I've listened to on vinyl.

I think it depends on the group, too. Bands/groups that focus on recording live shows with good SBDs for the most part have really stellar live releases. But I can see how a live performance that doesn't always focus on capturing a live show with good sound quality can sound lackluster on vinyl.

I'll probably go with the VMP LNT unless the price is insane. Surprised they're announcing this one so close to the last

Back