Pre-Order Thread

Try years. It takes a while for those things to break down. Personally, I've only ever had it be a problem with one (non-picture disc) 7" and it caused some weird fogginess on the (colored) vinyl. It was about a 12-year old 7" and it was like that when I got it so who knows when in that time period it happened. Counter-example, I have two 30+ year old 7" picture discs that were in those type of sleeves and have no issue from when I got them (they've since been separated from the sleeves by poly inners).
I think weather plays into too. Direct sunlight/heat has an effect. I had a couple RSD 7” from about a decade ago that now have shiny splotches on em and while they are playable they now sound like garbage.

Last edited:
I might be in on this....

The track list features the best Korean divas from the period, and some are still active in their mature ages. Many are album tracks because ballads and slow groovers were often chosen to be the radio hits at the time.

FYI, the producers put out a disclaimer that a few of these use needle drops because the masters could not be located.

I'm actually out of town this week and had it re-delivered by UPS to a friend's house nearby. That pic is the pic they sent me. I'm hoping that clear sleeve goes into something a little sturdier though because it looks really flimsy.

I'm not familiar with outgassing though? it sounds like a really clinical term for a fart. In other news, I went to a friends house this weekend and he was saying how his parents wouldn't let him or his siblings say "fart" when they were little, so they had to say "poo smell," as in, "Gregory made a poo smell." He grew up in Australia, so maybe that's more common in Australia? Just seems overly descriptive for my taste.

Anyway so I just googled outgassing and it sounds like it's an issue with a certain type of PVC sleeve - the kind that is usually used with a picture disc (to show off the picture on the disc, I assume)? yeah it could definitely be that from the pic - but I think that outgassing would only be a problem if I left it in there for like, at least a few months, right?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Try years. It takes a while for those things to break down. Personally, I've only ever had it be a problem with one (non-picture disc) 7" and it caused some weird fogginess on the (colored) vinyl. It was about a 12-year old 7" and it was like that when I got it so who knows when in that time period it happened. Counter-example, I have two 30+ year old 7" picture discs that were in those type of sleeves and have no issue from when I got them (they've since been separated from the sleeves by poly inners).

Mine arrived. It seems its in a sleeve between the pvc but I will have to look closer. Counter point my Alive 2007 daft punk was messed up from it out of the package so it does happen

Yep...already set an alarm to remind me.

200 bucks is steep...but I want it.
This is a great set, but ouch! I ordered this a while ago so think I’ll stick

https://www.disneymusicemporium.com/product/XVLP124/baby-yoda-diecut-vinyl?cp=null#

I'm actually out of town this week and had it re-delivered by UPS to a friend's house nearby. That pic is the pic they sent me. I'm hoping that clear sleeve goes into something a little sturdier though because it looks really flimsy.

I'm not familiar with outgassing though? it sounds like a really clinical term for a fart. In other news, I went to a friends house this weekend and he was saying how his parents wouldn't let him or his siblings say "fart" when they were little, so they had to say "poo smell," as in, "Gregory made a poo smell." He grew up in Australia, so maybe that's more common in Australia? Just seems overly descriptive for my taste.

Anyway so I just googled outgassing and it sounds like it's an issue with a certain type of PVC sleeve - the kind that is usually used with a picture disc (to show off the picture on the disc, I assume)? yeah it could definitely be that from the pic - but I think that outgassing would only be a problem if I left it in there for like, at least a few months, right?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
I think weather plays into too. Direct sunlight/heat has an effect. I had a couple RSD 7” from about a decade ago that now have shiny splotches on em and while they are playable they now sound like garbage.
Mine arrived. It seems its in a sleeve between the pvc but I will have to look closer. Counter point my Alive 2007 daft punk was messed up from it out of the package so it does happen

Yeah, be careful with those types of sleeves. They definitely damage vinyl. I experienced it with a RSD Public Enemy picture disc. The picture disc was damaged but also, it ended up damaging the Postishead LP that was stored right next to it. There are shiny white splotches all over the vinyl and it sounded bad. I'm talking about 2 years max here.

Definitely remove those types of sleeves ASAP and think twice before buying anything that may have been sitting at a store for a while with one of those sleeves (or even next to one).

A recent Stereolab reissue I picked up came in a sleeve that looked suspicious to me. Not sure if it was PVC but I removed it immediately.

Yeah, be careful with those types of sleeves. They definitely damage vinyl. I experienced it with a RSD Public Enemy picture disc. The picture disc was damaged but also, it ended up damaging the Postishead LP that was stored right next to it. There are shiny white splotches all over the vinyl and it sounded bad. I'm talking about 2 years max here.

Definitely remove those types of sleeves ASAP and think twice before buying anything that may have been sitting at a store for a while with one of those sleeves (or even next to one).

A recent Stereolab reissue I picked up came in a sleeve that looked suspicious to me. Not sure if it was PVC but I removed it immediately.
I give it the smell test....if it smells like a beach ball then it is suspect. If I am thinking about the same thing, I believe the Stereolab REs are okay,

Out gassing/chemical breakdown from some PVC/plastic sleeves is a real issue for long term storage (years) for sure. Sun and heat speed the breakdown but at what temp this becomes an immediate issue is anyones guess.

You can often feel it on the plastic when it happens as a slightly sticky residue in extreme cases. You can have two albums side by side stored the same of the same age. It may only happen noticeably to one so there are a lot of variables in the process.

When it happens it can leave a noticeable residue on the slick Cardboard outer jacket (feels sticky) and on the actual vinyl record inside. Generally it can be removed from the vinyl (but it is a time consuming mess). If it goes to long it can degrade the vinyl causing permanent noise issues.

Generally:
1) Mostly the thick outer sleeves of pic discs are the worst offenders. They smell like a beach ball when new.

2) Some standard outer plastic sleeves can start to breakdown also so buy good ones.

3) Many years ago there were problems with some all plastic inners also. (NOT to be confused with MoFi type sleeves. They seem to be fine).

Note the chemicals can migrate to albums stored next to them. So for a little extra paranoia picture one bad sleeve recking havoc on multiple albums.

I have seen all this 1st hand:

1) Sticky thick pvc outers. Yuck. I now get them far away from my albums in a storage closet. Not taking any chances.

2) A bad batch/unknown brand of Old outer protective sleeves that have started to breakdown after years in temp controlled and no sun storage. I found these a couple years ago when I was putting all my albums into Discogs. Some of these were 30+ years old and randomly dispersed thru my recs. In the old days we just bought them at the rec store as needed so we used whatever they sold us. There were maybe 50-100 out of a couple thousand old ones where the album cover actually felt slightly stick. Threw out the sleeves. I let covers air out for a couple weeks and it mostly went away. I replaced ALL old sleeves with new top quality ones to be safe. 25 or 30 more years should have me covered.

3) Old/bad plastic inners. I have had to clean this off vinyl record surface both from new old stock records and a # of records from a couple old used collections I got that had been poorly stored in hot unventilated conditions. The worst were some all plastic inners. I also had a bad batch of unbranded Paper with plastic lined inners that I had to sort out. They were starting to degrade. Again to be safe I use new MoFi sleeves if the originals look iffy.

A couple of decades can go by quick. Store your recs well in temp controlled area away from sun. Keep thick PVC outers away from other items in your collection. Avoid off branded Plastic sleeves both inner and outer.

Sorry about the Long Post. This is a complex but real issue. You don’t need to stay up at night worrying about it but keep it in mind as an issue you want to avoid.

Note to moderators: Feel free to move to different thread if you feel it is off subject here.

Last edited:
So, what's everyone going to do this Saturday for the first RSD 2020 drop? My local record stores were doing a 10 dollar reservation time slot and the 10 bucks you put down would go to your order. I think it was going to be 4 people at a time for 10 minutes then they gotta clear out...

I really can't spend time at the record store by myself on a Saturday and convince my wife that I will be a good boy and not spend a lot of money so I'm having to skip. I'll be doing online shopping I guess. I hope the few records that I am really interested in will be available somewhere.

I might need help getting some later on...

My record store usually udnt
So, what's everyone going to do this Saturday for the first RSD 2020 drop? My local record stores were doing a 10 dollar reservation time slot and the 10 bucks you put down would go to your order. I think it was going to be 4 people at a time for 10 minutes then they gotta clear out...

I really can't spend time at the record store by myself on a Saturday and convince my wife that I will be a good boy and not spend a lot of money so I'm having to skip. I'll be doing online shopping I guess. I hope the few records that I am really interested in will be available somewhere.

I might need help getting some later on...
My record store usually isn't super crowded. I'm just going to show up with my mask on, grab what I want and check out. No hanging around or browsing.

Out gassing/chemical breakdown from some PVC/plastic sleeves is a real issue for long term storage (years) for sure. Sun and heat speed the breakdown but at what temp this becomes an immediate issue is anyones guess.

You can often feel it on the plastic when it happens as a slightly sticky residue in extreme cases. You can have two albums side by side stored the same of the same age. It may only happen noticeably to one so there are a lot of variables in the process.

When it happens it can leave a noticeable residue on the slick Cardboard outer jacket (feels sticky) and on the actual vinyl record inside. Generally it can be removed from the vinyl (but it is a time consuming mess). If it goes to long it can degrade the vinyl causing permanent noise issues.

Generally:
1) Mostly the thick outer sleeves of pic discs are the worst offenders. They smell like a beach ball when new.

2) Some standard outer plastic sleeves can start to breakdown also so buy good ones.

3) Many years ago there were problems with some all plastic inners also. (NOT to be confused with MoFi type sleeves. They seem to be fine).

Note the chemicals can migrate to albums stored next to them. So for a little extra paranoia picture one bad sleeve recking havoc on multiple albums.

I have seen all this 1st hand:

1) Sticky thick pvc outers. Yuck. I now get them far away from my albums in a storage closet. Not taking any chances.

2) A bad batch/unknown brand of Old outer protective sleeves that have started to breakdown after years in temp controlled and no sun storage. I found these a couple years ago when I was putting all my albums into Discogs. Some of these were 30+ years old and randomly dispersed thru my recs. In the old days we just bought them at the rec store as needed so we used whatever they sold us. There were maybe 50-100 out of a couple thousand old ones where the album cover actually felt slightly stick. Threw out the sleeves. I let covers air out for a couple weeks and it mostly went away. I replaced ALL old sleeves with new top quality ones to be safe. 25 or 30 more years should have me covered.

3) Old/bad plastic inners. I have had to clean this off vinyl record surface both from new old stock records and a # of records from a couple old used collections I got that had been poorly stored in hot unventilated conditions. The worst were some all plastic inners. I also had a bad batch of unbranded Paper with plastic lined inners that I had to sort out. They were starting to degrade. Again to be safe I use new MoFi sleeves if the originals look iffy.

A couple of decades can go by quick. Store your recs well in temp controlled area away from sun. Keep thick PVC outers away from other items in your collection. Avoid off branded Plastic sleeves both inner and outer.

Sorry about the Long Post. This is a complex but real issue. You don’t need to stay up at night worrying about it but keep it in mind as an issue you want to avoid.

Note to moderators: Feel free to move to different thread if you feel it is off subject here.

Yup. The new National album comes in a thinner pvc outer. Not quite beach ball but close. I have the album in it still but with a sleeve city sleeve holding the album as a barrier. I'm going to do something similar with the glass animals. I'm going to put the album in a MoFi sleeve, and put that as well as the pvc sleeve into a sleeve city outer.

Back