Pre-Order Thread

Im with you to a point. Midnights reaffirmed my earlier belief that she is pretty self absorbed and vapid as a general rule

Vapid is a harsh and pretty nasty adjective. Especially for someone who, whatever the merit of the story, is a pretty damn good storyteller. In fact that ability to tell a convincing story through lyrics is probably her main songwriting gift.

Vapid is a harsh and pretty nasty adjective. Especially for someone who, whatever the merit of the story, is a pretty damn good storyteller. In fact that ability to tell a convincing story through lyrics is probably her main songwriting gift.
Vapid
adjective
  1. offering nothing that is stimulating or challenging.
I stand by it. Red through Evermore notwithstanding

My wife's top streamed song on her Spotify a couple of years ago was "Molly" by Sponge and we still have a good laugh about it.

I could see if it was in the 90's but her most played track in 2021? 😂

K. I think its use in this unnecessarily harsh and lacks substance but you do you. I’d consider it to be a word that’s more loaded than its bare meaning.
I find the fact that people decide a word is offensive means the word is offensive super frustrating.

We’re all reasonably intelligent people here who should be able to understand what we’re all saying. As a general rule I’m not harsh towards any artist so maybe I just mean that until Red I found her music a bit boring and her subject matter seemed pretty empty then too. The word vapid says all that without me spending a paragraph doing it and by term seeming more critical than if I just used the word.

I find the fact that people decide a word is offensive means the word is offensive super frustrating.

We’re all reasonably intelligent people here who should be able to understand what we’re all saying. As a general rule I’m not harsh towards any artist so maybe I just mean that until Red I found her music a bit boring and her subject matter seemed pretty empty then too. The word vapid says all that without me spending a paragraph doing it and by term seeming more critical than if I just used the word.

It’s a loaded word because of the way it’s used not because it’s offensive per se. It’s generally always used to dismiss a subject matter that is either alien and often of a younger generation than the user. It is also often used with the connotation of the writer/spreader having much superior taste/intelect. Not that I’m saying you are doing that but that is way too often the case.

On the opposite I actually think that genuinely offensive bad language gets a bad wrap, unless you’re using it literally it’s fun, harmless and adds a certain emphasis to a point.

It’s a loaded word because of the way it’s used not because it’s offensive per se. It’s generally always used to dismiss a subject matter that is either alien and often of a younger generation than the user. It is also often used with the connotation of the writer/spreader having much superior taste/intelect. Not that I’m saying you are doing that but that is way too often the case.

On the opposite I actually think that genuinely offensive bad language gets a bad wrap, unless you’re using it literally it’s fun, harmless and adds a certain emphasis to a point.
I mean fuck is an awesome word in its literal meaning. But what do I know, I’m an ass. 🤣

Back