Pre-Order Thread

This is awesome! I did manage to get one, and if it looks like the mockup, it'll be a gem of a piece - that hopefully sounds good 🤞. These announcements of pressing more are welcome news, but they always strike me as weird, in the sense that did they really not expect a /500 of Michigan to sell out instantly??? I mean, just do an initial run of, dunno, 5k, and then you prob avoid this.

Or do the open preorder initially

This is awesome! I did manage to get one, and if it looks like the mockup, it'll be a gem of a piece - that hopefully sounds good 🤞. These announcements of pressing more are welcome news, but they always strike me as weird, in the sense that did they really not expect a /500 of Michigan to sell out instantly??? I mean, just do an initial run of, dunno, 5k, and then you prob avoid this.
Yeah I honestly don’t get why HUGE artists press anything less than 1000 of a unique edition of an album. BSS announced a repress of YFIIP and I think they did 5,000 copies. Suf could easily sell 5,000 of this album.

Is Sufjan really that huge?
I think a good way to judge this could be venue size when an artist tours. Unfortunately Sufjan hasn't done much (any?) touring in the last 5 years. But way back in 2016, he played the Hollywood Bowl (17.5k capacity), Red Rocks (9.5k capacity). For an indie artist, I think of that as huge.

I think a good way to judge this could be venue size when an artist tours. Unfortunately Sufjan hasn't done much (any?) touring in the last 5 years. But way back in 2016, he played the Hollywood Bowl (17.5k capacity), Red Rocks (9.5k capacity). For an indie artist, I think of that as huge.
He has a gold record to his name as well (Illinois).

Either way, 500 copies of even a medium-sized indie classic is way too low. AKR either planned a second press all along to drive up demand like @avecigrec suggested, or they haven't paid attention to vinyl sales numbers for like 5 years.

If y'all say so. I bet I could ask 3/4 of my staff before someone would know who I was talking about.
Yeah, I guess I was more thinking about popularity within the world of people who follow music, not popularity in terms of general population, where you need to be on the Madonna, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Garth Brooks, etc level. I definitely agree with you that 75% of gen pop (prob 90+% actually) would have no idea who he is.

Yeah, I guess I was more thinking about popularity within the world of people who follow music, not popularity in terms of general population, where you need to be on the Madonna, Lady Gaga, Katy Perry, Garth Brooks, etc level. I definitely agree with you that 75% of gen pop (prob 90+% actually) would have no idea who he is.
I get that... I'm willing to bet his fans skew higher in owning a turntable than the Swifties.... know what I'm saying. Although, I am all for there being a gang of Sufjan fans fucking with the Eletric Mayhem in season two.

sisters_leecheater_Jacket_SHADOW.jpg

sisters_leecheater_Jacket_SHADOW.jpg

The track they've released off this is excellent.

HE GOT TEN WHOLE DOLLERS!!

But seriously, folks...

I realized how big he was when they released the Mystery Of Love 10-inch for record store day in 2018 and saw people scrambling to find it. That was released as a "limited edition of 10,000 copies." Prior to that, I would have had no idea, but that stuck out.

In that respect, reissuing an already popular album from his catalog as a limited edition anniversary pressing with additional songs in a run of 500 clearly isn't going to be enough

there were at least a 1000 to date, fyi. I don't see a number for the Third Man, but the university version was 500 and there are however many HMV on Saturday and however many tomorrow

Back