Pre-Order Thread

Problem with FJM is that he thinks the world needs his humor and wit. We do not. Once he figures that out (he maybe already has) his albums won’t feel stale after the 3rd or 4th listen.
I need his humor and wit. I will say I pefer when he focuses more on himself than on the flaws of humanity on a grand scale. His worldly cynicism can be a bit more of a downer (though still hilarious) whereas his more personal albums he balances the self loathing sadness with the gut busting one-liners perfectly.

Pure Comedy is the only one I didn't really like, and got stale quite quick for me other than a couple singles from it. The rest were all brilliant, and can't wait for more of anything from him! Honeybear was a top 5 album of the last decade for me.
Same, I know some people really love Pure Comedy as a written work, but I haven't revisited it much. Honeybear is also one of my favorites from the last decade and GFC was in my top 10 of 2018. He's best when he's writing pop songs IMO

I got this email today....

Hey Folks!

We're writing to you today with exciting news! "John Prine & Friends Live at Newport Folk" has been pressed and is now headed to our fulfillment center with an expected ship date just after the new year. This has been a long and arduous process and we really appreciate your patience and continued support. We think you'll agree that this release really will have been worth the wait!

Happy New Year!

I need his humor and wit. I will say I pefer when he focuses more on himself than on the flaws of humanity on a grand scale. His worldly cynicism can be a bit more of a downer (though still hilarious) whereas his more personal albums he balances the self loathing sadness with the gut busting one-liners perfectly.
Agreed. Honeybear is one of my top all time albums. He lost me at PC but gained me back a bit at GFC. So while I do have high hopes for this one, I feel I’ve got to be hypercritical to try and keep my own expectations at bay.

Father John Misty is just Phoebe Bridgers for dudes.

I'm well aware this statement is nonsense, just wanted to see if I could concoct the perfect music hot take to piss off the most amount of people at one time.

I know Ryan Adams was just a drunken prick, but when he kept referring to him as Elton John Misty... that zinger just stuck too well for me.

He was doing so many broken crooner drops to his knees when I saw him -- like a Paris Is Burning pose-off level of falling back onto his calves -- that I wouldn't be surprised if his rider includes a case of joint juice for each show. If I tried that shit, I'd probably wind up like a Life Alert commercial

I know Ryan Adams was just a drunken prick, but when he kept referring to him as Elton John Misty... that zinger just stuck too well for me.

He was doing so many broken crooner drops to his knees when I saw him -- like a Paris Is Burning pose-off level of falling back onto his calves -- that I wouldn't be surprised if his rider includes a case of joint juice for each show. If I tried that shit, I'd probably wind up like a Life Alert commercial
I've seen him 3 times, once each to promote his last 3 albums, and I felt he was more and more disengaged with each performance.

His first, opening for Alabama Shakes, was very crooner drops to his knees (Honeybear) and that was the most fun performance. Quite a bit of crowd engagement and banter. His second, a Coachella slot, was very pensive and didn't move much from his microphone stand (Pure Comedy). His latest, opening for Jason Isbell, was a more straight forward rock performance. Some light banter, but not of a comedic tone (God's Favorite Customer).

Agreed. I love his humor and wit as well. Most of my all-time favorite songwriters use a lot of humor in their lyrics. Like others, Pure Comedy is my least favorite of his, but it's not bad, and none of the albums have gotten stale IMHO. FJM was my most played/favorite artist of the 10's, and I don't think anyone else even comes close.

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Father John Misty. The lyrics are extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of his melodies will go over a typical listener's head. There's also Tilman's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterization - his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these songs, to realize that they're not just funny - they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence, people who dislike Father John Misty truly ARE idiots - of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humor in Tilman's existential catchphrase "God’s Favorite Customer," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Josh Tillman's genius unfolds itself in their headphones. What fools... how I pity them. 😂 And yes by the way, I DO have a Father John Misty tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- And even they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.

To be fair, you have to have a very high IQ to understand Father John Misty. The lyrics are extremely subtle, and without a solid grasp of theoretical physics most of his melodies will go over a typical listener's head. There's also Tilman's nihilistic outlook, which is deftly woven into his characterization - his personal philosophy draws heavily from Narodnaya Volya literature, for instance. The fans understand this stuff; they have the intellectual capacity to truly appreciate the depths of these songs, to realize that they're not just funny - they say something deep about LIFE. As a consequence, people who dislike Father John Misty truly ARE idiots - of course they wouldn't appreciate, for instance, the humor in Tilman's existential catchphrase "God’s Favorite Customer," which itself is a cryptic reference to Turgenev's Russian epic Fathers and Sons. I'm smirking right now just imagining one of those addlepated simpletons scratching their heads in confusion as Josh Tillman's genius unfolds itself in their headphones. What fools... how I pity them. 😂 And yes by the way, I DO have a Father John Misty tattoo. And no, you cannot see it. It's for the ladies' eyes only- And even they have to demonstrate that they're within 5 IQ points of my own (preferably lower) beforehand.
Bravo! This is why I come here!

Back