Pre-Order Thread

Normally those are $29 or whatever

But as add-ons for members which these very much could have (and probably should have to avoid the initial anger at it being an open market) been, they're $23. They'd have still sold 1000 within hours to members only, especially at the Classics price point.

Ergo 5000 records cost less per piece than 1000

Marginally, like by pennies and Classics was limited to 1000 at the start if I remember correctly.

this is not a fair comparison

A damn site fairer IMO than MM where the pressings are flawless, the repro art quality is flawless, the information on both sleeves and labels is accurate and there are frequently (maybe always? I admit I don't know, they're too expensive for me) additional rare photographs included in the gatefolds.

Ultimately, people don't like to acknowledge when they've been ripped-off. I get that but, this was a rip-off.

Ultimately, people don't like to acknowledge when they've been ripped-off. I get that but, this was a rip-off.
Generally speaking, I think there's also a distinction that most people will make between something being overpriced and a true rip-off, but that's going to be different for everybody.

But as add-ons for members which these very much could have (and probably should have to avoid the initial anger at it being an open market) been, they're $23. They'd have still sold 1000 within hours to members only, especially at the Classics price point.

Even with the price they went for im still pissed (a little less now seeing the shit show it turned out to be) that I missed out whilst non-vmp members were able to purchase it. How they can call themselves a record 'club' when the members get no benefit is a mystery to me.

They’re the same thing?
So for you those two points aren't very far apart then :)

I guess I'm just saying I think most people have varying levels of "This is more than I want to pay for this product" as opposed to "This is predatory pricing that delivers less than it promises." To me, "rip-off" implies a conscious decision to cheat the consumer, whereas some pricing is just a choice to set a higher price point than some people are willing to pay.

The Placemats have a New Deluxe CD/LP/Cassette for "Don't Tell A Soul"

I fucking love DTAS so I'm hyped for this one.

buy: https://store.rhino.com/dead-man-s-pop-4cd-1lp-deluxe-cassette.html

I'm waiting for it to show up on a different, easier to order from retailer than Rhino.

Andrew W.K. is up on Enjoy the Ride and Bullmoose for interested parties. I went with Bullmoose and snagged Kishi Bashi along with it - man I'd been sleeping on that one.
Kishi Bashi's Omoiyari is amazing, especially in reflecting on the thematic content. Violin Tsunami is my favorite track at the moment. I can not stress this enough - see him and his band perform live if you can. How he flies under the radar 4 albums in is both surprising, and comforting as fan - because I love being able to see him in smaller venues.

Yea I said the music is the one thing they got right, but if all you care about is the music why not save yourself a ton of money and download flac files since that's the best way to listen to music. The whole point of vinyl is that it's something more and Anthology got that part completely wrong.
You could say this about any vinyl purchase ever though...why do any of us buy ANY vinyl when you can almost always get a FLAC for way cheaper? If a FLAC is $10 and the vinyl is $25+ is it worth buying the vinyl? Some would say no, others would say yes. Saying they only pressed and mastered the records very well is a bit disingenuous to me, that's all. That's the main reason why I buy records. Nice album art and quality packaging is awesome too but the main thing for me is that I enjoy sitting down and listening to a record and giving it my undivided attention and flipping it over when a side is done. Yes--it's silly, but so is vinyl collecting in general when looked at through a certain lens. I realize that I am probably in the minority but I'm also the type of person who doesn't mind seam splits or whatnot on used records if the vinyl itself is in good condition. I probably read liner notes once and then the sleeve goes back on my shelf. The Anthology sleeves are not nearly as nice as MM or Tone Poets even, but the mastering and pressings sound better on a lot of them. They are some of the best sounding records I own. That's important to me. I know there shouldn't be a trade off of quality of jackets and vinyl though when you are paying $38 for a record so I do acknowledge that part is disappointing, but I'm just saying it's not the end of the world for me. The Dexter Calling jacket was the only egregiously bad cover for me and they are reprinting those.

It was on the high priced side definitely, but again, I wanted these albums on vinyl (and have for quite some time) and the alternative was to spend way more money on older pressings that are hard to find in used condition, let alone good used condition. And Ambrose has never been on vinyl. Do I think Anthology was a bargain? Not at all. Am I furious that I paid $38 for each of these albums? Not really.

I went into Anthology wanting good pressings of Blue Note albums that I have had trouble tracking down in the wild for years now. I went into it saying I wanted to pay less than $40 shipped per record based on a variety of factors before they announced the price. I didn't go into it expecting to learn about the history of jazz or any of the other vague promises that VMP set up because I knew they wouldn't deliver on those. So for me, I'm not as disappointed as a large variety of other people. If people who got Anthology only like 1 or 2 albums, I could see people thinking it was a rip off. If you went into it not knowing much about jazz and were hoping that this would be a "game-changer", I get the disappointment. Maybe I just had lower expectations going in than most...I got the albums I wanted. They sound fantastic. I'm not happy with the whole roll out or various other parts of the release. VMP dropped the ball on a lot. It ultimately doesn't affect my enjoyment of listening to the music. The other aspects (in addition to other practices from VMP) have changed my opinion on VMP though as a whole.

I don't think VMP consciously went into this project saying "ooh we can rip people off with this!" But I am afraid that after how VMP has acted with other pressings as of late, raising their pricing on exclusives, repressing albums that are widely available (with no remaster or change in pressing plates) and charging $32+, upping the price on old stock, etc. that the profit motives have been pushed more and more lately and they are trying to cash in on the vinyl bubble before it bursts. That's why I'm not buying anything from them lately.

Anywho, don't want to turn this into an Anthology or VMP thread so I'll leave things at that and get back to the preorder links.

67140224_1363480127141400_1548836438970204160_o.jpg
Holy moly! Link please, if up. If not, please link when available! Thank you.

Holy moly! Link please, if up. If not, please link when available! Thank you.
Bloodborne (Original Soundtrack)

Yea but you cant excuse poor execution on promises that dont matter to you personally when talking about value overall.
Sure. I guess value is relative though. I value the sound quality and the record itself over the packaging personally so I guess that's why I didn't consider it a rip off. I do see why others disagree though!

Daptone Releases a sampler of Soul from Helsinkis Timmion records
https://shopdaptonerecords.com/prod...ul-hits-of-timmion-rec?variant=28529571168290

DAP-059-MOCK_WHITE-TRANSPARENT_large.jpg

Album Tracklisting
1. This Is What Love Looks Like! (Carlton Jumel Smith and Cold Diamond & Mink)
2. Tell Me That You Love Me (Jonny Benavidez and Cold Diamond & Mink)
3. Lost Lost Lost (Pratt & Moody)
4. Paint Me In A Corner (Nicole Willis & The Soul Investigators)
5. Scorpio Walk (Ernie Hawks & The Soul Investigators)
6. Until You’re Mine (Wanda Felicia and Cold Diamond & Mink)
7. This Love (Bobby Oroza)
8. Bad Education (Bardo Martinez & The Soul Investigators)
9. Don’t Believe You Like That (Emilia Sisco and Cold Diamond & Mink)
10. I’m Still A Man (Willie West)
Releases a sampler of Soul from Helsinkis Timmion recordssampler of Soul
Gave this a sample on Spotify and it's pretty great, IMO. Went ahead and ordered the vinyl.

Back