Pre-Order Thread

View attachment 100793

View attachment 100794

1622140899476.png

1622140954398.png

View attachment 100793

View attachment 100794

That orange one is probably my favorite one so far.

A few weeks ago, I saw that RecordStore.co.uk had some signed copies of the new Squid album, with the following disclaimer:

"Please note, every copy is different. The Band has had some fun with these ones. This isn't your average album, and this isn't your average signed record. It's thank you notes and drawings, love letters and things to put on your fridge."

This sounded super fun, plus I’m a geek for signed variants. I paid my $40 and waited until it arrived on my doorstep today. This is what I received:

834D7B42-85D8-4370-BAD8-492F14BD37E7.jpeg
In case you can’t read it, it says the following:
“Thanks xx, Squid”.

They must have run out of creative ideas and stopped having fun with signing.

That orange one is probably my favorite one so far.
Smartpunk Exclusive

1622144465507.png

Spotify Exclusive
1622144491543.png

Smartpunk Exclusive

View attachment 100799

Spotify Exclusive
View attachment 100800

I've already cancelled and ordered 3 times on different versions. I'll probably just stick with the orange. Plus it helped me get free shipping in Albatross and Carnavas that I had been eyeing

Mogwai - Happy Songs For Happy People
I really want a record store in US to have a big anniversary and start lining up a series of releases like this. I wanted the last Hval release Norman did, and this Mogwai album, but I still can't bite at that shipping charge. There have been some stellar records released in this series!

Foxing is trying to give Black Pumas a run for their money on release day.

I actually found this chart very helpful. Not even being sarcastic.

This is part of the reason I keep moving further and further away from colored vinyl. It’s tempting when the colored wax is limited in some way (even if it’s still artificially created scarcity) but when there are 13 colored variants, what’s the point? Might as well save some coin and just grab a copy on black wax.

This is part of the reason I keep moving further and further away from colored vinyl. It’s tempting when the colored wax is limited in some way (even if it’s still artificially created scarcity) but when there are 13 colored variants, what’s the point? Might as well save some coin and just grab a copy on black wax.
Unless the black wax is the most limited 😉.

I got the Newbury orange because I think if looks the best and needed something to get to the free shipping threshold.

I hear you...but if I make the decision to go black vinyl only, then my OCD kicks in and I need to get everything I already have on black and I just cant bring myself to take on that project. My wallet also has an strong objection to that plan.

I just try and grab a colorway I like when the release goes full-Black Pumas at the pre-order stage.

I hear you...but if I make the decision to go black vinyl only, then my OCD kicks in and I need to get everything I already have on black and I just cant bring myself to take on that project. My wallet also has an strong objection to that plan.

I just try and grab a colorway I like when the release goes full-Black Pumas at the pre-order stage.
Yeah, I am kinda like that too I suppose though I getting better at fighting that urge.

I feel this. My reaction to the artists who put out a crazy number of variants is slightly different though. Basically it has dramatically decreased my pre-ordering. When I see so many variants drop I just loose interest in all of them, and then I just think, well, I'll wait for the album to drop, stream it, and if I want to own it on wax I'll grab either black, or one of the variants. This has been a positive development because when I get around to buying the vinyl I can check in on reviews of the pressing and see if it has sound issues, making an even more informed decision.

I feel this. My reaction to the artists who put out a crazy number of variants is slightly different though. Basically it has dramatically decreased my pre-ordering. When I see so many variants drop I just loose interest in all of them, and then I just think, well, I'll wait for the album to drop, stream it, and if I want to own it on wax I'll grab either black, or one of the variants. This has been a positive development because when I get around to buying the vinyl I can check in on reviews of the pressing and see if it has sound issues, making an even more informed decision.

All of this, the variant craze definitely has curbed my FOMO for a lot of releases, after I found myself with like 10 different Polygondwanaland variants (not my proudest moment tbh)

Unless the black wax is the most limited 😉.

I got the Newbury orange because I think if looks the best and needed something to get to the free shipping threshold.

I have two on preorder and I need to choose but looking at that chart of all the variants makes me want to just get the black one.

I agree. I’ve bought more plain black vinyl in the past year and a half than I used to because at the end of the day I want to listen to the music. As for the variants, I don’t understand the logic behind why one thing is out of 300, another 700, another 2000, this one exclusive to this retailer another here. It’s a clusterfuck. I’m fine with bands having 1 or 2 exclusive/limited colored pressings along with a standard black. But anything more than that is just excessive.

I am old enough to remember when colored vinyl was actually rare and I still really enjoy it for the added sensory experience.

Back