Pre-Order Thread

1619730654081.png

Apologies if someone else posted and I missed it, but it's now up at Bullmoose as well. $33.97, but free shipping over $35 if you are looking to grab something else. I added on a 12" copy of Mandolin Orange's Golden Embers b/w John Hess for $1.97.
Did anyone end up getting a copy of this? I ordered it from Bull Moose on February 8th and it still hasn’t arrived. It had a release date of 3/26/21 on their site but I hadn’t seen a shipping notice, so I emailed them this week about it and they responded that the item is listed on the site (now) as “out of stock rare item - we will try to get it for you” so they’re currently trying to get it for me but there’s no ETA or guarantee.

However, when I go on the website, I’m not, even now, seeing anything that says “out of stock”:
- Orchestre Poly-Rythmo De Cotonou Dahomey - Orchestre Poly-Rythmo De Cotonou Dahomey
95C85A0A-37DC-4AF4-9A3E-5EF678DF1A6B.jpeg

Anyway - I’m going to cancel with them but wondering if anyone had any luck with another seller for this album.

For the spiritualized pure phase reissue, I just noticed that it has a different tracklisting than the plain recordings pressing I own. The Fat Possum tracklist matches what’s on spotify but for whatever reason my plain recordings press has “Good times” on side D (after all of the other songs on the album, which are on sides A-C) and then “Pure Phase” appears again on Side D. As far as I can tell it’s the same version of “Pure Phase” that’s on side C.

just wondering if anyone knew why they did that and why it would be a different tracklist for this fat possum release of the same album.

Did anyone end up getting a copy of this? I ordered it from Bull Moose on February 8th and it still hasn’t arrived. It had a release date of 3/26/21 on their site but I hadn’t seen a shipping notice, so I emailed them this week about it and they responded that the item is listed on the site (now) as “out of stock rare item - we will try to get it for you” so they’re currently trying to get it for me but there’s no ETA or guarantee.

However, when I go on the website, I’m not, even now, seeing anything that says “out of stock”:
- Orchestre Poly-Rythmo De Cotonou Dahomey - Orchestre Poly-Rythmo De Cotonou Dahomey
View attachment 97464

Anyway - I’m going to cancel with them but wondering if anyone had any luck with another seller for this album.
I think I ordered this too, but from a different site, and I think I still don't have it. I really need to clean up my record room, though...

For the spiritualized pure phase reissue, I just noticed that it has a different tracklisting than the plain recordings pressing I own. The Fat Possum tracklist matches what’s on spotify but for whatever reason my plain recordings press has “Good times” on side D (after all of the other songs on the album, which are on sides A-C) and then “Pure Phase” appears again on Side D. As far as I can tell it’s the same version of “Pure Phase” that’s on side C.

just wondering if anyone knew why they did that and why it would be a different tracklist for this fat possum release of the same album.
Look at the tracklist (Yes, the title track has 2 versions). The og press has the same tracklisting as the CD's, which has the same tracklisting as the plain reissue, which will undoubtedly be the tracklisting on the fat possum reissue. I'm not sure what this other order is you're talking about (im not on spotify).

Last edited:
Look at the tracklist (Yes, the title track has 2 versions). The og press has the same tracklisting as the CD's, which has the same tracklisting as the plain reissue, which will undoubtedly be the tracklisting on the fat possum reissue. It's the track listing. I don't know what this other order is you're talking about (im not on spotify).
The “other order” that I’m talking about is from the fat possum listing for the repress of this album (which matches the tracklist on spotify):

F7F41A42-EB10-4D41-830E-E2757D1B17C4.png

There’s only one “Pure Phase” here and “Good Times” comes right before it and right after “Lay Back In the Sun” (instead of after “Feel Like Goin’ Home”).

What is the difference between the 2 versions of Pure Phase on the LP? They’re the exact same length and they sound the same to me.

The “other order” that I’m talking about is from the fat possum listing for the repress of this album (which matches the tracklist on spotify):

View attachment 97477

There’s only one “Pure Phase” here and “Good Times” comes right before it and right after “Lay Back In the Sun” (instead of after “Feel Like Goin’ Home”).

What is the difference between the 2 versions of Pure Phase on the LP? They’re the exact same length and they sound the same to me.
Oh geez....well that's disappointing. Hope they dont mess with the tracklist.

As for the difference between the versions...I couldn't tell you. I can ask my psych expert friend, he probably knows, but the reason might very well be "idk, for the experience"

According to the discogs entry for the first vinyl press of Pure Phase:

Tracks D1 and D2 are not included on the track listing on the rear of the sleeve but are listed on the disc labels and inner sleeves.

Track D1 (Good Times), is given as 5:59 on the disc labels and inner sleeve but is actually 4:55 which is the same as the CD versions of this album (e.g. Pure Phase).

Track D2 differs slightly from the identically titled C2 and is actually 7:27 long rather than the 6:30 given on the disc label and inner sleeve.

Other track times may vary as the Pure Phase drone between tracks makes it difficult to establish the beginnings and ends of tracks. These are given as printed on the disc labels and inner sleeves.

and according to the entry to the first CD edition:

The actual track times vary in some cases from the times listed on the CD. Most notably, the track time for Good Times is listed as 5:59 but is actually only 4:54 long.

So, I personally think there's not really any reason to expect it to be any different, just that the different editions have listed the tracks in different, incorrect ways...

Oh geez....well that's disappointing. Hope they dont mess with the tracklist.

As for the difference between the versions...I couldn't tell you. I can ask my psych expert friend, he probably knows, but the reason might very well be "idk, for the experience"

Alright I have an answer. First I was wrong, the CD tracklisting IS diffrent than the vinyl. The CD tracklisting doesn't have the second version. The reprise that ends in drone shit is just for the vinyl experience (and apparently my digital copy is a vinyl rip..huh..). So either Fat Possum had a copy/paste messup and copied the CD tracklisting, or thats the one they're using, in which case would be very dissapointing.

Last edited:
Alright I have an answer. First I was wrong, the CD tracklisting IS diffrent than the vinyl. The CD tracklisting doesn't have the second version. The reprise that ends in drone shit is just for the vinyl experience (and apparently my digital copy is a vinyl rip..huh..). So either Fat Possum had a copy/paste messup and copied the CD tracklisting, or thats the one they're using, in which case would be very dissapointing.
Jason is reportedly involved in these repressings, so it is likely that he would choose the vinyl-specific tracklisting...

Alright I have an answer. First I was wrong, the CD tracklisting IS diffrent than the vinyl. The CD tracklisting doesn't have the second version. The reprise that ends in drone shit is just for the vinyl experience (and apparently my digital copy is a vinyl rip..huh..). So either Fat Possum had a copy/past messup and copied the CD tracklisting, or thats the one they're using, in which case would be very dissapointing.
My thought was that the vinyl tracklist was different just because of the length of the songs on each side. Maybe removing “Good Times” from its place in the tracklist allowed all the other songs to fit neatly on three sides, or maybe it flowed better that way than if they’d just put the last track on the last side by itself. So they just put “Good Times” on side D and put the song that comes after it on there, too, because there was extra space.

But that’s just me randomly guessing. I can’t think of any other albums that have a different track order like that just because if the format, or where the same exact song is included twice on one format but not others.

My thought was that the vinyl tracklist was different just because of the length of the songs on each side. Maybe removing “Good Times” from its place in the tracklist allowed all the other songs to fit neatly on three sides, or maybe it flowed better that way than if they’d just put the last track on the last side by itself. So they just put “Good Times” on side D and put the song that comes after it on there, too, because there was extra space.

But that’s just me randomly guessing. I can’t think of any other albums that have a different track order like that just because if the format, or where the same exact song is included twice on one format but not others.
This may have already been mentioned, but LAGWAFIS has different vinyl and CD track order for this reason, IIRC.

Back