Pre-Order Thread

Looks that way. These (below) two paragraphs from that website make it seem as though the art work may be a primary reason for the 'exclusiveness' of the package, along with the claim: "This 7” single will not be released outside of this box"

"In the years before he passed away, Gary Burden, Neil’s long time art director, had envisaged solarizing the album art – especially the back cover shot of Neil’s jeans & patches. Gary’s partner, Jenice Heo, has now executed Gary’s vision and created a unique take on this classic album cover. The cover is printed on special silver coated paper stock to create the desired effect.

The vinyl box includes the album, with a variant of the artwork originally created by Neil’s long-time art director Gary Burden, in collaboration with Jenice Heo. The vinyl box also includes a 7” single, in a picture sleeve, with two versions of the album outtake “Wonderin’”. Side A was recorded in Topanga in March 1970 and was only released on CD in Neil Young Archives Vol 1. Side B is an unreleased version of “Wonderin’” recorded at Sunset Sound in Hollywood in August 1969. A litho print of the album front cover is also exclusively included in this vinyl box."

I'm not suggesting in any way that this justifies the price tag; just trying to imagine what the rationale might be.
It's a matter of perspective. In the record collecting world, $100 for a 12" LP and 7" record (plus a poster) seems like an overcharge. But in the art world, $100 for a limited edition print (plus a 12" LP and 7" record) is quite reasonable.

I've experienced this from the other side. I regularly pay up to $100 for art prints/concert posters. Oddly, however, I have my eye on a ltd ed remix EP that I could buy for around $20. I like it for the cover art (it's my avatar) but the music is meh. I wouldn't even flinch at paying $20 for a piece of art that I would display, but because it's a record I likely wouldn't play, the price seems high to me.

I'm not saying I'd buy this set. My dad's old 1970 terre haute/artisan pressing sounds pretty good. But if you want the print, it's justifiable.

Last edited:
It's a matter of perspective. In the record collecting world, $100 for a 12" LP and 7" record (plus a poster) seems like an overcharge. But in the art world, $100 for a limited edition print (plus a 12" LP and 7" record) is quite reasonable.

I've experienced this from the other side. I regularly pay up to $100 for art prints/concert posters. Oddly, however, I have my eye on a ltd ed remix EP that I could buy for around $20. I like it for the cover art (it's my avatar) but the music is meh. I wouldn't even flinch at paying $20 for a piece of art that I would display, but because it's a record I likely wouldn't play, the price seems high to me.

I'm not saying I'd buy this set. My dad's old 1970 terre haute/artisan pressing sounds pretty good. But if you want the print, it's justifiable.
Yeah I think the fact that it is a lithograph is dictating the price here.

For those of you who think these won't sell, the 10 CD box set that cost $250 sold out. That's $25 a CD. People will buy this. I'm not one of them, but people will buy this.

It's cool. I have a sub to.NYA, I can hear this stuff whenever I want to and like others said, I have a really good sounding copy of an early pressing.

Makes sense. And while there aren't yet any photos of the newly designed album jacket, that sounds like it might be a cool piece of art as well. Your post leads me to wonder how much crossover there might be between the art world and the record collecting world. Sounds like that's where this might best land. For me, at the moment, this looks like a very overpriced reissue.

1604167707793.png

For those of you who think these won't sell, the 10 CD box set that cost $250 sold out. That's $25 a CD. People will buy this. I'm not one of them, but people will buy this.

It's cool. I have a sub to.NYA, I can hear this stuff whenever I want to and like others said, I have a really good sounding copy of an early pressing.
Yeah, I totally bought this. Well, sold some records I don’t listen to and paid for it that way. Either way, it will be mine 😁

Yeah I have the reissue from pretty recently and to be honest he did such a good job with his catalogue that I don’t see myself needing to ever upgrade them pressings. That said there’s always been a significant premium on all Neil Young vinyl over here.

Yeah I have the reissue from pretty recently and to be honest he did such a good job with his catalogue that I don’t see myself needing to ever upgrade them pressings. That said there’s always been a significant premium on all Neil Young vinyl over here.
Agreed - the reissues from the past decade are uniformly excellent. Neil's vocal enthusiasm for sound quality and vinyl over digital are great for us in this hobby, haha. Besides those, I also have decent OGs of most of his 70s stuff, including Comes A Time with the original (incorrect) track order. I really should A/B them all someday to see how the reissues compare.

bob-dylan-nashville-skyline-200g-vinyl-2

Bob Dylan

Nashville Skyline​

200g vinyl​

Limited to 400

Last edited:
Back