Post-Rock Will Never Die, But You Will... (The Post-Rock Thread)

One of my few holes left as well. Looking forward to getting it. Also looking forward to my deluxe copy of Stuarts book, coming out someday.
My copy of the book is hopefully on its way from Glasgow.

Stuart was the drummer in my friend’s band before he started Mogwai, so it will be interesting to see if they are mentioned much.

Yes you do. The best part is you can pretty much start anywhere with them. Their first 2 records are getting reissued in Feb 2023 and both are great. Slightly more partial to Young Team than Come On Die Young

I'm in the closing stretch of Come On Die Young now and have very much enjoyed it so far. If I don't get to Young Team later tonight, it's definitely on deck for tomorrow!

This is another one of those situations where I've done myself a disservice waiting so long to finally do this but never did so out of any sort of ill-intention. I simply never had anybody in my sphere that was into them, and even once torrents and streaming made checking things out far more viable they just always fell to an awkward middle tier of my "to check out" list where there were always other things that came up, but they were never in the "not interested" pile.

Too much music is definitely not the worst problem to have!

Yes you do. The best part is you can pretty much start anywhere with them. Their first 2 records are getting reissued in Feb 2023 and both are great. Slightly more partial to Young Team than Come On Die Young

I see the reissues are slated to release just before my birthday!

I've pretty much spent my vinyl budget for the remainder of the year, but if @Ethos99 has any left in the wreckage of the holy daze around the shifting of the calendar, I could see myself definitely grabbing one, if not both.

I'm in the closing stretch of Come On Die Young now and have very much enjoyed it so far. If I don't get to Young Team later tonight, it's definitely on deck for tomorrow!

This is another one of those situations where I've done myself a disservice waiting so long to finally do this but never did so out of any sort of ill-intention. I simply never had anybody in my sphere that was into them, and even once torrents and streaming made checking things out far more viable they just always fell to an awkward middle tier of my "to check out" list where there were always other things that came up, but they were never in the "not interested" pile.

Too much music is definitely not the worst problem to have!
I always recommend Happy Songs For Happy People as a good starting point. From there you can go earlier if you like the harder, more crunchy stuff, or forward to the newer, slightly less crunchy stuff. I prefer Young Team to CODY, but I have a soft spot for Ten Rapid, which is all the stuff pre-Young Team.

I see the reissues are slated to release just before my birthday!

I've pretty much spent my vinyl budget for the remainder of the year, but if @Ethos99 has any left in the wreckage of the holy daze around the shifting of the calendar, I could see myself definitely grabbing one, if not both.

CODY and Young Team are widely considered their high water marks, but they really don't have anything that I would call bad. I really liked ep+4, Rock Action, Happy music and Mr Beast. FYI that one of their early claims to fame was being louder than a jet engine, so there are parallels to my bloody valentine vis-a-vis volume, although IMO this high volume thing was completely unnecessary.

And don't forget the soundtracks which are all really good. Atomic has been a regular spin for me since it came out.

I've checked out Black Bird and Zero Zero Zero before, but didn't necessarily consider that having checked out Mogwai. I enjoyed both, but know that soundtrack work is typically a different beast than a band or artist's own catalogue.

I have to say, by the way, that this conversation much like the one I had in the Gizz thread shortly after I first arrived at N&G are part of what I really love about this place - it's really great to have keen folks sharing excitement and favourites when digging in to a well established band's catalogue without any gatekeeping or mockery and derision for being so late to finally check out whatever band. It really makes the joy of discovery even more fun! I truly appreciate y'all.

Back