Political Discussion

Comedic how college administrations are on the wrong side of history every issue, every single time.
It makes a lot more sense once people realize universities are essentially REITs and hedge funds that also give out degrees in order to maintain their veneer. The solidarity we've seen between faculty and students this week is inspiring.

It makes a lot more sense once people realize universities are essentially REITs and hedge funds that also give out degrees in order to maintain their veneer. The solidarity we've seen between faculty and students this week is inspiring.

Letting the REITs flood the property market in the wake of the last crash is one of the most depressing things about living here.

Also how did private and institutional landlords go from rightly being social pariahs to somehow being seen as laudable over the last 40 years. We need to make someone describing themselves as a landlord to feel inherently shameful again.
Or just being a piece of shit in general. Donald was rewarded time and time again for openly and proudly being a complete lowlife sack of shit and now everybody's doing it. That needs to go.

Both parties are run by financial criminals whose only goals are to divide, deceive, and bleed us dry.
He has a point here

He has a point here
Sure, but the “Ponzi scheme” conspiracy that he’s set himself ablaze to highlight is essentially just capitalism.
The whole situation lives in a middle place for me; I think he's absolutely right in the sense that capitalism has made it appealing to exploit the lower and (what's left of the) middle class, and the regulations in some areas and lack of regulations in others have made it such that a small group of super-rich are literally bleeding the planet and its people dry. But by the time you get to "Kubrick wanted to stoke our innate love of violence with Clockwork Orange and Dr. Strangelove," it's a lot harder to credit what he has to say. I'm loathe to discredit him fully though, as I'd say the disordered aspects of his thought process are testament to how hard this system can break a person.

Maybe more so here, but throughout history the landlord was always presented a despicable character. It’s only in the neo con era that we’ve seen a flip in the general public’s perception.
Yeah -- I don't know if I agree that there's been much of a flip in the public perception. Landlords are like a universal avatar for greed, it's just that there's always a strong contingent that believes greed is good.

If anything, I think there might be a swell in younger generations that believe maybe they can be a kinder, gentler landlord. Ethical resource hoarding, as it were. In fact one of my oldest friends, who has long been the most leftist person I know in person, just told me that he and his wife are considering buying a new house and keeping their current one as a rental property.

I guess you either die raging against the machine or live long enough to see yourself become a landlord.

Yeah -- I don't know if I agree that there's been much of a flip in the public perception. Landlords are like a universal avatar for greed, it's just that there's always a strong contingent that believes greed is good.

If anything, I think there might be a swell in younger generations that believe maybe they can be a kinder, gentler landlord. Ethical resource hoarding, as it were. In fact one of my oldest friends, who has long been the most leftist person I know in person, just told me that he and his wife are considering buying a new house and keeping their current one as a rental property.

I guess you either die raging against the machine or live long enough to see yourself become a landlord.

You kind of touch on a lot of why I feel it’s now become socially acceptable and that’s a lot of why I’m angry. Governments are welcoming of them like never before. Historically of course they were but universal suffrage had weakened or reversed that massively. Of late the ease of which build to let, an utter cancer, is being waved through planning, the red carpet being rolled out to REITs and the fact that ordinary decent purple now feel that a home is an investment or a pension really worries me. That combined with the selling off social housing without any attempt to replace the stock. It’s a really grim housing picture for anyone under 35 without parental support right now.

The foreign aid bill / aid for Ukrain has passed congress and has been sent to Biden's Desk. Something Biden has been pushing for for months so he will no doubt sign it.

But congress being congress, made it a ham sandwich of other bills on their agenda as a condition to pass. One of those bills is the one that requires the sale of TikTok to a US company or be banned.

The foreign aid bill / aid for Ukrain has passed congress and has been sent to Biden's Desk. Something Biden has been pushing for for months so he will no doubt sign it.

But congress being congress, made it a ham sandwich of other bills on their agenda as a condition to pass. One of those bills is the one that requires the sale of TikTok to a US company or be banned.
Legislating other countries to sell things seems like a whole new step into just not great territory.

They don’t have to sell. TikTok will be banned in the US if they do not. It’s not uncommon for governments to ban foreign businesses from doing business in the US.
I get the ban bit, I don’t recall another situation where the American government told another government to sell something or gtfo. I think it’s a dangerous precedent

Back