Political Discussion

It worries me a little, more in the sense that we're increasingly locking down our children and making it such that a person is either unable to or has little reason to be out in the world without supervision until they're eighteen; I'm not saying this bill is an especially destructive aspect of this shuttering, but the theater of it certainly adds to the "we must protect our children from the outside world" of it all. The fact that you can't really verify someone's age beyond a "yes I'm 18" modal adds to the theatrical aspect. A lot of arcane/fascist policy is bubbling up out of the concept of protecting our children, and as a child of the 80s/90s, golly, that sure sounds familiar.

It seems to me we should be addressing the issues which make the internet such a fraught environment for a growing mind; I'm not against limits, but those are the domain of the parent; ensuring the space itself is safe is what policy is for. I grew up in an environment where a lot of media/culture/ideas were cut out mainly due to satanic-panic-slash-stranger-danger-era fears, and that only drove me to pursue the forbidden. I didn't get hurt and turned out fine, but certainly put myself in risky situations. I learned far more about the world and how to be safe within it from experience than avoidance.
As my dads said to the lady that was complaining to him in line at 7-11 when he was buying me garbage pail kids. “Lady a little piece of cardboard does not have more affect on my child than I do.”

That being said there is a ton of shit that goes happens on social media between teens. I’ve seen the affects in the kids I work with. It just kind of exaggerates the typical problems. Anxiety, Depression, exposure to sex at earlier ages, and cyber bullying. The hard part for parents is that it’s all done so quietly. Parents should have a lot of conversations and be involved with their children’s accounts.

However, they can lead a lot and make connections with people that eventually turn into communities around the world. During the pandemic I was working with a kid. He and his friends built a giant birthday cake in Minecraft and held a virtual birthday party for a friend.

As much as I hate Bitcoin Bros, I think he still got off light. I bet he only serves a decade and will be out conning people again come 2035.

As much as I hate Bitcoin Bros, I think he still got off light. I bet he only serves a decade and will be out conning people again come 2035.
Probably so. I can help but think of all the finance scum in the more traditional industry who got away with no consequences from tanking the economy in 2007-8. It's nice to see someone held to account for this, but justice is joke for the rich even when they do get punished.

Can't read it, but I'm sure it smacks of fuckery.
Nailed it. In a nutshell, S. Carolina’s election maps were found unconstitutional, SCOTUS heard an “expedited” appeal last fall, hasn’t yet ruled on it, so S. Carolina asked if they could use the maps found to have racial gerrymandering as now it’s close to the primaries and was given the go ahead.

Or more succinctly, “fuckery.”

Last edited:
Back