Political Discussion

I guess this comes to no surprise
“War is peace.
Freedom is slavery.
Ignorance is strength.”

“And if all others accepted the lie which the Party imposed—if all records told the same tale—then the lie passed into history and became truth.”

I hate to agree with anything he signs, but I don't hate this. Social media and teens doesn't seem to lead to an improvement in life. Though I don't see how enforcement is feasible and it really should be a parent looking out for their kids.

That said, it is humorous as he's a typical hypocrite regarding free speech, and this serves as another reminder of that fact.

I hate to agree with anything he signs, but I don't hate this. Social media and teens doesn't seem to lead to an improvement in life. Though I don't see how enforcement is feasible and it really should be a parent looking out for their kids.

That said, it is humorous as he's a typical hypocrite regarding free speech, and this serves as another reminder of that fact.
It worries me a little, more in the sense that we're increasingly locking down our children and making it such that a person is either unable to or has little reason to be out in the world without supervision until they're eighteen; I'm not saying this bill is an especially destructive aspect of this shuttering, but the theater of it certainly adds to the "we must protect our children from the outside world" of it all. The fact that you can't really verify someone's age beyond a "yes I'm 18" modal adds to the theatrical aspect. A lot of arcane/fascist policy is bubbling up out of the concept of protecting our children, and as a child of the 80s/90s, golly, that sure sounds familiar.

It seems to me we should be addressing the issues which make the internet such a fraught environment for a growing mind; I'm not against limits, but those are the domain of the parent; ensuring the space itself is safe is what policy is for. I grew up in an environment where a lot of media/culture/ideas were cut out mainly due to satanic-panic-slash-stranger-danger-era fears, and that only drove me to pursue the forbidden. I didn't get hurt and turned out fine, but certainly put myself in risky situations. I learned far more about the world and how to be safe within it from experience than avoidance.

Back