Political Discussion

I have some thoughts and disagreements on your assessments in this post, but I'm still mulling it over before commenting further. But this specific thing is worth pointing out: I'm not sure how technically savvy or security conscious you personally are, but about this specific thing you should consider this more of a "best-effort" on apple's part rather than some protection that you have (because you're using apple products,) that is being adhered to in a real way.

I can get into the weeds on this but honestly it'll probably make most folks' eyes glaze over; but this page has some worthwhile points about apple's "ask app not to track" specifically:

More generally, even if apple were to block the app from tracking via your phone's internals (which apple can and do block these if you ask,) operational security around how you use your phone and any particular app means that you are still very, very much trackable (and tracked).

A lot of that is true, but apple is getting better and are doing more than most companies.

They have introduced features that now help you catch the apps in the act of trying to track certain things they have control over with permissions. Such as reading the phones clipboard, taking a stealth screenshot or screen recording and accessing microphone and GPS. You get badgered with prompts telling you so and so app is requesting access to the following and you have to either grant or deny that request.

A lot of companies cried foul play when Apple introduced this.

But yes, a lot of other tracking can skirt by. Hence my use of VPN's as well as ad blockers.

I have my personal data pretty locked down, but as a result, there are a few apps and many websites that will not allow me access unless I disabled my ad blocker and VPN. "Because that's who they make their money", and they love to rub it in your face like you are unethical and stealing their service. And when I see this happening I either delete the app, or bounce from that website and never return.

And that right there is what I think we need to truly address. Being able to opt out without having to forfeit access to a service.

And that right there is what I think we need to truly address. Being able to opt out without having to forfeit access to a service.

Question? Do you feel you have a right to access a service or an information provider, that pays money to generate content and provide the service? Do you accept that if we end their methods of generating cash to pay for that that we should have to pay for that?

Question? Do you feel you have a right to access a service or an information provider, that pays money to generate content and provide the service? Do you accept that if we end their methods of generating cash to pay for that that we should have to pay for that?

I wouldn't go that far. I understand the need to make monty. It's just the way the

I don't mind a couple ads, that's now why I use the ad blockers. It's the tracking and selling of my data that I do not consent to. If they gave me an option to opt out of that and just see ads, or buy a subscription I would do that.

But not giving the consumer an option and capturing and selling their data no matter what, even if they have a paid subscription is what I'm calling out.

So, if I don't get the option to opt out, I won't use the service. And to me, that is different than thinking I have the right to freely access that information without any method for them to generate cash.

I wouldn't go that far. I understand the need to make monty. It's just the way the

I don't mind a couple ads, that's now why I use the ad blockers. It's the tracking and selling of my data that I do not consent to. If they gave me an option to opt out of that and just see ads, or buy a subscription I would do that.

But not giving the consumer an option and capturing and selling their data no matter what, even if they have a paid subscription is what I'm calling out.

So, if I don't get the option to opt out, I won't use the service. And to me, that is different than thinking I have the right to freely access that information without any method for them to generate cash.

I think it’s pretty clear that targeted advertising actually generates real cash whereas blanket advertising is much less lucrative.

Part of the problem, with journalism in particular, is that to do it well and more importantly independently costs money, quite a lot of money. Good journalists can go down many dead ends looking for the important stories.

Do we pay and get quality independent journalism or do we allow disreputable rich interests and individuals to control the media and thus the narrative?

I agree you should he allows to opt out. I don’t agree that there is an onus to give you a service or information free once you do.

Man, when I was a teenager first going out to concerts it seemed standard practice to find someone at a table by the door pushing condoms on everyone. Not to exaggerate too much, but it felt like any place that expected young people to gather, there'd be someone distributing condoms and safe sex literature. Birth control is the next step after banning abortion. It's insane watching this fascism take hold.

Man, when I was a teenager first going out to concerts it seemed standard practice to find someone at a table by the door pushing condoms on everyone. Not to exaggerate too much, but it felt like any place that expected young people to gather, there'd be someone distributing condoms and safe sex literature. Birth control is the next step after banning abortion. It's insane watching this fascism take hold.
Concerts are where I got my first condoms. I also miss at University of Colorado they had one of those old spinning chicken machines and out pops a plastic egg with condoms, lube, and a little pamphlet of sex tips for 25¢. But there were big bowls of free condoms and a group would come to the local shows in Boulder and hand out free bags of condoms too.

She's famous enough now that she should stand up for what's right. Fuck business and political pressure from the fascists. That would be the real example she should show to young people.

As far as I know, condoms are not age restricted in any state. Any kid of any age can buy them. I remember in high school working at a grocery store, and seeing 12 and 13 year olds buying them.

As for plan b, 25 states allow girls of any age to get without parental consent, and 24 states have some sort of restrictions for minors.

So, what is the big deal here? It's legal, and if something is not legal, like plan b in a certain state, just make sure you don't hand it out to minors to satisfy the conservatives. But I get they will not be satisfied. They want to protect their kids from knowing about sex, and abstinence is the only acceptable solution.

Reminds me of covid vaccinations in TN. It is legal for a minor to show up at a clinic and request a vaccination and that was happening when parents were antivaxx. However, when someone asked for clarification as to what they should do if a minor shows up asking for a vaccination without a parent and the state health whatever position answered "give them the vaccination", they were let go because it was made political, and that parents should have the choice. Even though that's not what the law said.

So, what is the big deal here?
It's the exact same playbook as drag storytime: "you're exposing children to sexuality and sexual content." This is the path to making contraception age-restricted. Possibly even the path to needing spousal approval to be on birth control. They are creating a moral panic around it in order to drum up support for codified restrictions targeting women.

They want to control women's bodies, impose "christian values" (read: patriarchal values), and keep a stable lower class of menial workers who can't get out from under the debt and obligations of raising a child. This will affect women and people of color the most, as (just like with abortion) people with privilege will be able to circumvent these laws.

These people don't actually believe there's a problem; they just know it's effective to point to your daughter's favorite pop star and declare she's corrupting them.

Both Uber and Lyft to cease operations in Minneapolis after city imposes a minimum wage for rideshare drivers.

Capitalism sucks. Can't take advantage of / exploit your workforce for profit, so time to pull out saying the law is "deeply flawed" and causes more harm than good.
Hopefully someone locally moves in and replaces them.

Does he have CTE?
I wouldn’t put it out of the realm of possibilities. I’d seen some of the stuff that he had said previously and it was obvious that he had been down the YouTube conspiracy theory rabbit hole but I was surprised at just how far down he went.

Like this is bonkers X-Files type stuff that is fun as Sci-Fi type fantasy but when it becomes someone’s honest belief system that is a whole other level.

Both Uber and Lyft to cease operations in Minneapolis after city imposes a minimum wage for rideshare drivers.

Capitalism sucks. Can't take advantage of / exploit your workforce for profit, so time to pull out saying the law is "deeply flawed" and causes more harm than good.

Both are awful companies. Fuck them. What comes in after can’t be worse.

Back