Political Discussion

I'm grateful that I paid off my credit cards over a year ago by taking a fixed rate loan out.

Despite having a credit score above 750 after paying them of, several of my cards variable APR are now over 29%! That is absolutely insane, highway robbery and should be illegal.

I'm scared for people who have to charge things because they have no money after paying for rent. Credit cards are much more dangerous now than they have ever been in the past.

While we are on the topic of everything being more expensive, car insurance on average across the country is up 20% over this time last year. While the fact that new cars are much more expensive accounts for some of why, as well as inflation, car insurance rates are still up more than they should be. And the car insurance companies are not giving any explanations other than new cars are more expensive and explanation. Was reading about it in it an article yesterday, and there were several hypotheses as to why this is, with the most likely one being plain old "greed".
Anybody who has decent credit should not be using credit cards to carry debt. You can apply for a personal line of credit at your bank and rates are much lower.

Why do Republicans love giving their kids the measles? And why aren't medical degrees revoked for this kind of claptrap?

Why do Republicans love giving their kids the measles? And why aren't medical degrees revoked for this kind of claptrap?
Florida is the worst.

Can someone catch me up on what's going on with IVF in Alabama? I have only heard bits and pieces as I have not been watching the news or following closely.

But pretty much what I gather, a court ruling in the state is causing IVF clinics to close. Some anti-abortion law is preventing women from being able to get IVF to start a family.

Can someone catch me up on what's going on with IVF in Alabama? I have only heard bits and pieces as I have not been watching the news or following closely.

But pretty much what I gather, a court ruling in the state is causing IVF clinics to close. Some anti-abortion law is preventing women from being able to get IVF to start a family.
A judge put out a ruling that says that embryos are children. So if one doesn't take in IVF they could be held liable for "murder" of a "child." Fucking insane religious nutjobs.

A judge put out a ruling that says that embryos are children. So if one doesn't take in IVF they could be held liable for "murder" of a "child." Fucking insane religious nutjobs.
That's like saying masturbation is murder :mad: .

If they are going that far, the same should apply to men as well. Not just women.

Here is a little bit on the background . The Alabama Supreme Court ruled that embryos are children no matter where they are. And tge ruling was dealing with an ivf case not abortion.

That's like saying masturbation is murder :mad: .

If they are going that far, the same should apply to men as well. Not just women.
They are not that far, yet. The embryo for them starts at the fertilization, so does not apply to maturation, but 1.) In ivf normally multiple embryos are generated and the surpluses destroyed ( or killed) if ivf is successful with the first one. Even if just one is used and it is destroyed by accident it falls under " wrongful death of a minor" . Since ivf providers have seen in abortion cases how far the anti-arbortion states are willing to go in prosecuting women and doctors to make their points they are stopping ivf in the state

A patient for an IVF clinic in Alabama was somehow able to walk into the cold freeze storage area at the clinic and destroyed multiple families frozen embryos. Based on Alabamas recent Abortion laws two of the couples decided to sue the company for Wrongful Death the first court that reviewed it and found in favor of the defendant since “wrongful death” only applies to human life. The case and went to the Alabama State Supreme Court on appeal. The all Republican court ruled 7-2 in reversing the lower courts decision basically stating that and embryo in a lab was the same thing a a child.

The unintended consequences (since Roe v. Wade ended and now each state has their own laws) was that since life is defined so broadly essentially every embryo is now considered a human life. Meaning that typically IVF clinic normal practices cannot continue; typically IVF will produce several embryos and through testing the best ones are implanted in the mother or surrogate, while the others, which could have genetic complications are destroyed. If destroyed they open themselves up for litigation and potentially criminal charges just like they would be if they kill a baby. Meaning no IVF clinic in their right mind will continue to practice within the state until the law is amended.

This ordeal shows how ridiculous these anti-abortion laws are and since IVF is a fairly expensive procedure, many wealthy GOPers are also negatively impacted chances are good that lawmakers in the state will make an IVF carve out in the law to allow for these clinics to continue.

Back