Political Discussion

Sadly, no surprise there. What did we really expect.

What was a surprise was all of the opinion pieces saying the SCOTS has to act here by banning Trump from the ballot, there is no other outcome they came come too while preserving their legitimacy.

I was like right... Never gonna happen.

I mean come on... He's not there enough to be the fucking president. And obviously Trump is a nightmare, but the blame lands squarely at Dems feet for forcing this old man on us.

Sadly, no surprise there. What did we really expect.

What was a surprise was all of the opinion pieces saying the SCOTS has to act here by banning Trump from the ballot, there is no other outcome they came come too while preserving their legitimacy.

I was like right... Never gonna happen.
I mean how can you punish someone when they are not convicted.

I mean come on... He's not there enough to be the fucking president. And obviously Trump is a nightmare, but the blame lands squarely at Dems feet for forcing this old man on us.
I don't know what the answer is. Dems also can't afford a protracted primary fight and the resulting in-fighting if Biden is in the mix, while Trump steamrolls through to a clear nomination.

Ultimately I think that if Trump had not run again, Biden would not be in the race today. He and the party did the math, and the equation said that the best path to preventing a second Trump term was putting him up against the incumbent. There may have been some better hands to play here, but they all come with big risks. At least here the risks are a known quantity.

He and the party did the math, and the equation said that the best path to preventing a second Trump term was putting him up against the incumbent. There may have been some better hands to play here, but they all come with big risks. At least here the risks are a known quantity.
There's not a single person in the party that can read literally every poll that shows Biden is going to lose against Trump? He's not a king, and his senility is the perfect opportunity to send up another candidate. They couldn't possibly do worse than we already know they're going to.

I don't know what the answer is. Dems also can't afford a protracted primary fight and the resulting in-fighting if Biden is in the mix, while Trump steamrolls through to a clear nomination.

Ultimately I think that if Trump had not run again, Biden would not be in the race today. He and the party did the math, and the equation said that the best path to preventing a second Trump term was putting him up against the incumbent. There may have been some better hands to play here, but they all come with big risks. At least here the risks are a known quantity.
I worry the risks have already blossomed into straight-up crises.

There's not a single person in the party that can read literally every poll that shows Biden is going to lose against Trump? He's not a king, and his senility is the perfect opportunity to send up another candidate. They couldn't possibly do worse than we already know they're going to.
Who did the polls say would beat him after slogging through an expensive and ugly primary? What major candidate was willing to shoot their shot by telling the incumbent, who is also the de facto leader of his party, to shove it?

Who did the polls say would beat him after slogging through an expensive and ugly primary? What major candidate was willing to shoot their shot by telling the incumbent, who is also the de facto leader of his party, to shove it?
Seems like something they could have tried to figure out when they knew this was going to be an issue, several years ago? Four more years of fascism and ignoring the climate crisis because there's not a single adult in party leadership 👍

no doubt -- just not seeing any alternatives proposed here that make sense. Dean Phillips isn't gonna bring it home, y'know?
It feels a bit chicken-egg to me though; nobody is stepping up as an alternative because the party is falling in line behind our Only Hope, and he's our Only Hope because nobody has the guts to step up as an alternative.

Don't get me wrong, I'm going to grit my teeth and vote for him because, as I've said before, a Trump second term signals the last democratic American election from where I'm sitting. But I'm pretty furious the Democrats have utterly failed to give the people a choice in the matter.

Pivoting to Kamala is such a wild-card, bomb-dropping move that could splash some points back into Dems favor. A black swan event of sorts that could really shake things up. I don't think they'll do it, but ~something~ needs to change. Kamala is a horrible candidate and has poor views on things, but doing nothing is not going to help.

Pivoting to Kamala is such a wild-card, bomb-dropping move that could splash some points back into Dems favor. A black swan event of sorts that could really shake things up. I don't think they'll do it, but ~something~ needs to change. Kamala is a horrible candidate and has poor views on things, but doing nothing is not going to help.
I could’ve sworn that was the unspoken plan three years ago, and that her vice presidency would be basically a dry run.

If anything, she's pulls him even lower. GOP strategists have already said today that they'll be targeting how weak a candidate she is since these latest Biden blunders put her stepping in more in the spotlight. She was deeply unpopular in the last presidential primary, especially among Black voters. And she hasn't made a positive PR splash as VP. I don't think she's necessarily gotten less popular, but she hasn't moved the needle much.

I know @avecigrec mentioning the Rock was in jest (especially since I think he's hinted at some points that he leans conservative), and I hate that I'm saying this, but honestly the only one who polled well enough to make the splash the Dems needed and who could probably step in right now and do it, is Michelle Obama. I hate the notion of political dynasties and having it be incestuous, and I know she hasn't even hinted at wanting the job, but the polls were in her favor early on and I'd rather her than any of the above. Don't think it would happen, but of all the terrible choices it's the only one that makes a little sense strategically for the Dems if Biden dies before the general or becomes completely incompetent in an even more visible way. It's the only reason I think Nikki Haley is staying in, in case Trump dies or gets convicted.

Absolutely. The fact that these are our two choices shows how dumb the greater American public is. And fuck the democratic party for forcing Joe on us again. I mean I will vote for him over Trump, but it is like saying I prefer this STD over that one.

Last edited:
Absolutely. The fact that these are our two choices shows how dumb the greater American public is. And fuck the democratic party for forcing Joe on us again. I mean I will vote for him over Trump, but it is like saying I prefer this STD over that one.
It's really much more the fault of your out-of-touch political establishment and structurally doomed two-party system than it is of the American public.

Back