Political Discussion

Last edited:

The censure resolution said Gonzales' views violate core principles of the state GOP. It also noted that he did not support a hardline immigration bill and that he voted for a bill that safeguards same-sex and interracial marriages.

JFC…

Biden is on the record saying he has "no contingency plans in place should loan-relief be struck down".

Payments on student loans is set to resume 60 days after the SCOTUS ruling, regardless of the outcome. And Biden is signaling that he will not extend the pause again. Student loan payments are set to resume in August or sooner which has many borrowers extremely worried as inflation has been putting a strain on millions of Americans.

Was talking to my mother about this all this week, and voicing my frustrations. And despite her being a life long democrat and always voting democrat I swear with age she has gotten a lot more conservative. She doesn't support the student loan forgiveness because it's controversial and unfair. "Why should her tax dollars go to paying some other peoples loans when it doesn't benefit her any".

Last edited:

So the sanitation company that has 13 year olds working the graveyard shift cleaning saws at slaughter houses gives a trivial fine, but the parents of the kids who were working get arrested charged with child labor law violations?

Walmart is closing both Portland locations.

These store closures will disproportionately impact people with low income, as this area was already considered a food dessert.

No official answer as to why they are closing the stores other than they said they were underperforming.

Makes me wonder if they unionized or if Portland has it's own minimum wage. Also seen some speculation that shop lifting is out of control and could be the cause.
It's theft. People walk right in and take whatever they want, and walk out. I live about 4 miles from this one.

Looking through all the bills, I see fines up to $25,000 and jail time of up to 5 years for public drag performances and a felony on your record. Some states are classing drag as sex work and are age restricting the performances. Nebraska for example, prohibits anyone under the age of 19 from attending a drag show, but if alcohol is served on the premises that age restriction is 21. Where they limit drag shows too essentially means that 99% of them would be age restricted to 21.

Texas' bill says drag is wearing any clothing not consistent with gender assigned at birth. Meaning trans people would be considered in drag.

Looking through all the bills, I see fines up to $25,000 and jail time of up to 5 years for public drag performances and a felony on your record. Some states are classing drag as sex work and are age restricting the performances. Nebraska for example, prohibits anyone under the age of 19 from attending a drag show, but if alcohol is served on the premises that age restriction is 21. Where they limit drag shows too essentially means that 99% of them would be age restricted to 21.

Texas' bill says drag is wearing any clothing not consistent with gender assigned at birth. Meaning trans people would be considered in drag.
It's so ridiculously vague a woman wearing a mans shirt is technically drag.

I don't like advocating for violence, but there's a point at which the rights of others being taken away needs to be met with some sort of consequential resistance.

That's gonna be a problem for unisex clothing.

Norfolk Southern had another train derailment in Ohio over the weekend.

1678116373818.png

No fire, but I do see tanker cars and who knows if they leaked.

One of the things I found interesting when talking about this latest train derailment is some people are like, big deal, on average 3 trains derail in the United States every day. You are only hearing about them now because of the spotlight on the recent toxic derailment. Most derailments aren't that bad.

This one sure does look pretty bad. I would imaging the goods shipped will be salvaged by the insurance company rather than delivered. How can the railroads be okay with 3 derailments a day? Is it still cheaper than regular maintenance and complying with safety regulations instead of lobbing against them and getting them repealed or indefinitely delayed. All things that could have prevented derailments like these.

How many of these 3 derailments a day could have been prevented? Could we get the number down to 3 a week or 3 a month? Even better, 3 a year.

While the cause of this latest derailment is not known yet, odds are good it was caused by an axel failing. Which could have been prevented with proper maintenance.

They define drag as when someone displays a gender identity different from the gender they were assigned at birth, and “sings, lip-syncs, dances or otherwise performs
So that would include against me or kae tempest concerts or basically any Trans person doing karaoke.

Those states should take a look at Iran. They are really successful of promoting decency in public with their morality police. That could be a model for the future

Last edited:

Full episode on Ron DeSantis

It's in this as well, but should be stated clearly what DeSantis' people define as woke that they are so eagerly fighting:
Asked what “woke” means more generally, [Desantis’ General Counsel Ryan] Newman said “it would be the belief there are systemic injustices in American society and the need to address them.”

Newman added that DeSantis doesn’t believe there are systemic injustices in the U.S.

I really like this article. It's long but it outlines why AI models shouldn't be used in any public policy capacity--or really anywhere because these "advanced" algorithms really aren't that "advanced" and are built on a lot of BS assumptions and biased data.

By reconstructing the system and testing how it works, we found that it discriminates based on ethnicity and gender. It also revealed evidence of fundamental flaws that made the system both inaccurate and unfair.

Rotterdam’s algorithm is best thought of as a suspicion machine. It judges people on many characteristics they cannot control (like gender and ethnicity). What might appear to a caseworker to be a vulnerability, such as a person showing signs of low self-esteem, is treated by the machine as grounds for suspicion when the caseworker enters a comment into the system. The data fed into the algorithm ranges from invasive (the length of someone’s last romantic relationship) and subjective (someone’s ability to convince and influence others) to banal (how many times someone has emailed the city) and seemingly irrelevant (whether someone plays sports). Despite the scale of data used to calculate risk scores, it performs little better than random selection.

Machine learning algorithms like Rotterdam’s are being used to make more and more decisions about people’s lives, including what schools their children attend, who gets interviewed for jobs, and which family gets a loan. Millions of people are being scored and ranked as they go about their daily lives, with profound implications. The spread of risk-scoring models is presented as progress, promising mathematical objectivity and fairness. Yet citizens have no real way to understand or question the decisions such systems make.

Back