Political Discussion

As someone who watches our shitshow of a Senate and house, at least the house of commons is entertaining.

It's like Shakespeare...

Do you bite your thumb at us, sir?
I do bite my thumb, sir.
Is the law of our side if I say “ay”?
No
No, sir. I do not bite my thumb at you, sir, but I bite my thumb, sir.

It's like Shakespeare...

I do bite my thumb, sir.
Is the law of our side if I say “ay”?
No
No, sir. I do not bite my thumb at you, sir, but I bite my thumb, sir.
The more things change the more I realize that human nature seems to be the only constant.

A note to the protestors occupying my town: you've been heard, now go home. You pissed and shat all over our streets, you've stolen food from the homeless shelter, you desecrated the monument to Terry Fox, you vandalized the tomb of the unknown soldier and the War memorial, you painted enough swastikas, you terrorize local residents that have done nothing to you, including harassing and smearing shit on the house of a gay couple, you have caused the closure of numerous small businesses and restaurants that are struggling to make ends meet because you insist on blowing maskless in their faces, you fly confederate flags for whatever the fuck reason you think that has to do with Canada and you are preventing normal citizens from getting to work. And you say you fight for "freedom"? Who's? You've had your 15 minutes. Enough.

A note to the protestors occupying my town: you've been heard, now go home. You pissed and shat all over our streets, you've stolen food from the homeless shelter, you desecrated the monument to Terry Fox, you vandalized the tomb of the unknown soldier and the War memorial, you painted enough swastikas, you terrorize local residents that have done nothing to you, including harassing and smearing shit on the house of a gay couple, you have caused the closure of numerous small businesses and restaurants that are struggling to make ends meet because you insist on blowing maskless in their faces, you fly confederate flags for whatever the fuck reason you think that has to do with Canada and you are preventing normal citizens from getting to work. And you say you fight for "freedom"? Who's? You've had your 15 minutes. Enough.
Confederate flags in Canada?? Confederate flags in CANADA…I can’t even

Confederate flags in Canada?? Confederate flags in CANADA…I can’t even

I feel like because it doesn't have the same historical connotations, less people pay attention and these people get away with it. I don't think anybody uses it because it "looks cool" anymore, like in the Dukes of Hazzard days. We unfortunately have our load of Proud Boys, skinheads, etc.

And I feel they're all camping in trucks 12 minutes away from my house. At this point, the bridges are both a godsend (because it keeps them on the other side) and a curse (because it's impossible to go to Ottawa without investing serious time).

Great article.

It really gets into how Florida is a ticking time bomb for this to happen again. The building boom after WWII and through the 80's was prized on how fast it could be completed rather than attention to detail. Things were built as cheaply as possible and corners were often cut. And corners cut more times than not were not caught. City zoning and building inspectors during this time period were in the business of generating revenue for the city rather than protection to people living in these buildings. There were a few class action lawsuits from the 1970s through 1990 where the biggest class action lawsuit was won against city building inspectors and zoning boards for being in league with developers to generate revenue for the city.

During this time period in many cases you could just bring your blueprints to the zoning board and they would give their stamp of approval without looking anything over. Building inspectors would do "drive by" inspections never leaving their cars.

There also wasn't much for building code until after Hurricane Andrew in 1991 was a major wake up call. Anything built before 1991 was considered being built in a time period that could only be described as "the wild west".

All these buildings are now 30 years old or older and the bare minimum of upkeep has been done to many of them. A chronic problem with Condos where no one wants to pay for it and the buck keeps being passed to the next generation.

Florida still is notorious for having corruption when it comes to building inspections and inspectors being bought off.

Florida, which by far has more condos than any other state, has a powerful lobbying industry and legal firms that only represent condos.

Pretty much any changes to code since the early 1990's has been blocked for being "too expensive" or "constrictive". The lobbyist and legal firms represent developers and property management companies. Not condo associations and their people.

One building inspector they talked to for this story said this should be a wake up call. That drastic changes are needed to code and the recertification process to prevent this from happening again.

Yet as of today, nothing has been done. The lobbyist so far have blocked everything saying now is not the time to act. We should be mourning for those lost and praying for their families and pick this back up next year.

The building inspector said let's be realistic, by putting off updating the code for a year the collapse will be "old news" and just like mass shootings, a year later the likelihood of passing any meaningful change is greatly dimissioned.

He has full expectations that not much of anything will come out of this because there is billions of dollars at stake and powerful lobbyist and law firms against any change that would cost their interest money.

Also, most all of the burden and costs of upkeep and recertification that has become part of code to date has been placed on the condo owners. Not the developers because condo owners don't have the same lobbying power.

Last edited:

Great article.

It really gets into how Florida is a ticking time bomb for this to happen again. The building boom after WWII and through the 80's was prized on how fast it could be completed rather than attention to detail. Things were built as cheaply as possible and corners were often cut. And corners cut more times than not were not caught. City zoning and building inspectors during this time period were in the business of generating revenue for the city rather than protection to people living in these buildings. There were a few class action lawsuits from the 1970s through 1990 where the biggest class action lawsuit was won against city building inspectors and zoning boards for being in league with developers to generate revenue for the city.

During this time period in many cases you could just bring your blueprints to the zoning board and they would give their stamp of approval without looking anything over. Building inspectors would do "drive by" inspections never leaving their cars.

There also wasn't much for building code until after Hurricane Andrew in 1991 was a major wake up call. Anything built before 1991 was considered being built in a time period that could only be described as "the wild west".

All these buildings are now 30 years old or older and the bare minimum of upkeep has been done to many of them. A chronic problem with Condos where no one wants to pay for it and the buck keeps being passed to the next generation.

Florida still is notorious for having corruption when it comes to building inspections and inspectors being bought off.

Florida, which by far has more condos than any other state, has a powerful lobbying industry and legal firms that only represent condos.

Pretty much any changes to code since the early 1990's has been blocked for being "too expensive" or "constrictive". The lobbyist and legal firms represent developers and property management companies. Not condo associations and their people.

One building inspector they talked to for this story said this should be a wake up call. That drastic changes are needed to code and the recertification process to prevent this from happening again.

Yet as of today, nothing has been done. The lobbyist so far have blocked everything saying now is not the time to act. We should be mourning for those lost and praying for their families and pick this back up next year.

The building inspector said let's be realistic, by putting off updating the code for a year the collapse will be "old news" and just like mass shootings, a year later the likelihood of passing any meaningful change is greatly dimissioned.

He has full expectations that not much of anything will come out of this because there is billions of dollars at stake and powerful lobbyist and law firms against any change that would cost their interest money.

Also, most all of the burden and costs of upkeep and recertification that has become part of code to date has been placed on the condo owners. Not the developers because condo owners don't have the same lobbying power.
Man, you don't even know. A bunch of that pre-Andrew stuff was notoriously bad, we're still dealing with it. Andrew was so bad and so big it just ground most of homestead and just north and south of it into total rubble. Like, entire neighborhoods and nothing left that was bigger than your hand. Just looking at it in pictures gives me the howling fantods. The thing is, Andrew knocked down all the stuff it touched and all the stuff that was easy; all the other stuff is still up and just waiting for time or another hurricane to give it a touch.

New Mexico Senator Ben Ray Luján (D) has suffered a stroke according to his office and may be out of Washington for a prolonged period of time.

This could have huge ramifications if he is indeed out for a prolonged period of time. The impact it could have are most notably the inability of democrats to quickly push through Biden's SCOTUS nominee with just a simple majority before the midterm election. It also prevents pretty much any meaningful legislation from being passed. Because let's face it, most everything gets zero votes from the other side of the aisle.

The leak about Giuliani on Masked Singer truly shocks me. Maybe it shouldn't. But it does. Fox allowing Rudes to start his rehabilitation tour on a cutesy karaoke show WHILE he's under active investigation for his role in subverting American democracy is a new low. Sean Spicer on Dancing with the Stars was capital-B Bad, but this is tough to comprehend.

Back