Political Discussion

She’s used to be a semi moderate Republican but she drunk the Trump kool-aid to get elected. Now she is basically Marjorie Taylor Greene in the senate. She spouts all the regular Republican talking points.

What happens when a state is in contempt of court?

Every red state that ended extended unemployment benefits early is facing lawsuits. Judges in Indiana and Maryland have ordered that the states restore the expanded unemployment benefits while the lawsuits playout in court.

Indiana has refused to comply and is not reinstating expanded unemployment benefits.

Texas is trying to find of voter fraud and make examples out of people.

Last week they arrested a black man on 2 counts of illegal voting and set his bail to $100,000. He is facing potentially the rest of his life in jail.

His vote last Super Tuesday, March 3rd of 2020 was ineligible because he was on parole. Just days left of his parole in fact. Being on parole makes you eligible to vote under Texas law which he did not know at the time. He had been serving a 25 year sentence for burglary in 1995. This Super Tuesday was the first election cycle since being released on parole.

The ACLU says it was a honest mistake and never should have reach the point of charges and jail. That the AG is just trying to find voter fraud and set an example going for the maximum penalties available under Texas law.

The guy thought voting was the right thing to do and wanted to have his voice heard. He waiting inline to vote for nearly 7 hours.

Just read an update on this.

A felony indictment for illegal voting has a maximum of 40 years in jail. With 2 indictments of felony illegal voting, Rogers faces up to 80 years behind bars for going to the polls and voting. Why two counts of felony illegal voting? Because he voted for 2 different races in the primary. I'm assuming president and house/senate. Also, wtf. Why is it 40 years in jail for this? Glad to see our democracy has a steep price to pay to try to cast your vote when the ruling party wants to try to restrict access to the polls.

These charges came after Texas AG as spent more than 22,000 hours looking into voter fraud post 2020 election. So far none has been found. 12 fines have been giving out to date, for people who did not properly update their address when they moved, such as moving back in with their parents during the pandemic. But they moved to someplace in the same voting district. So, not voter fraud.

Then you have Rogers who voted in the primary race. Who thought he legally could vote and was doing his civic duties. It was a honest mistake not knowing that Texas' restrictive voting laws targeted him making him ineligible to vote. Again, not fraud.

Texas is really pushing the voter fraud and election reform bill because it's tried and true strategy to win reelection. Pit the white people against people of color. All this works in Abbots favor for a potential 2024 presidential bid.

Meanwhile, the major issues that do exist in Texas are not being addressed.

Texas has the largest percentage of it's population in this country that are uninsured. Texas is also seeing the fastest rate of rural hospital closures in the country. Because without people being insured, providing medical services is not profitable because people don't go unless its an emergency, then they end up with bills they can't pay.

When it comes to Texas power grid failure this past winter and people ending up with bills of several thousands of dollars, has the AG looked in it. Nope, not really at all. And the Texas legislator only bailed out the power companies who lost money due to fixed rate plans.

Texas' governor stated today that he would call a special session over and over again until a quorum is met to pass the voting reform bill.

He has also authorized the arrest of any and every Texas democrat who did not show up to pass the bill and drag them back to perform their job.

This jurisdiction is only within Texas, so that means the Texas democrats can't step foot within Texas for as long as they continue to hold out.

Democrats say they only need to hold out until September 1st. Abbott created his own problems by defunding the legislator. By defunding it, come September 1st, there will be no staff, no paid employees, no nothing. So it will be impossible to do any work after September 1st.

So it looks like the democrats plan to hold out to September 1st.

All experts say this bid to block the voter suppression bill will fail. It will eventually pass. All they are doing right now is delaying the bill for now.

Again I ask. Why is it so easy for the GOP to essentially block anything they want to obstruct, but it's always seemingly impossible for the Dems to block any of their legislation.

Again I ask. Why is it so easy for the GOP to essentially block anything they want to obstruct, but it's always seemingly impossible for the Dems to block any of their legislation.
It works both ways. If you live in Oregon or Washington you see the other side of the coin. In fact…

Wow, just wow at this. The GOP truly is devious to achieve their agenda.

They found a way around the 6 week fetal heartbeat ban so that the law is not unconstitutional and won't be blocked by courts.

This is because the state will not be enforcing the ban and those receiving an abortion are not being targeted.

Under this recently passed senate bill that goes into effect September 1st, Texas law allows anyone, anywhere, for any reason to sue anyone who aids and abets with providing an abortion once a fetal heartbeat is detected. However, the law is so vague it could apply to family members giving moral support or money to help with an abortion as well as any nurse or healthcare provider performing/assisting with the abortion. It could also apply to a priest a person talks to for advice. The law also comes with a $10,000 reward for anyone who is successfully able to sue.

So this mean any anti-abortion group in the country, or person who is against abortion from another state could sue people that help provide abortions or support friends or family members in their decision of getting an abortion in the state of Texas.

This type of law has not existed before and has not been challenged. So it will likely be an effective tool for detering abortions for years to come until a SCOTUS decision is made on this.

It sounds like the end game here is to make it financially impossible for healthcare providers to provide abortions creating an abortion dessert. Not to mention the threat of your own family of being sued.

So it will likely be an effective tool for detering abortions for years to come until a SCOTUS decision is made on this.
Nah, What will happen is someone will sue to prevent the law from going into effect, and a lower court will issue a stay until the courts have made a decision in the validity of the law. Eventually the bill will likely be found to be unconstitutional (the whole thing sounds spurious to begin with as I don’t know how anyone not directly involved within the case would have standing to sue a doctor, patient, healthcare provider, etc…. It would be equivalent to allowing me to sue a doctor for malpractice on a stranger.). Most of the times bills of this nature are found to be unconstitutional but they are fodder for The Right (and TBH, The Left as well) to raise money. Obviously, anytime there is a bill restricting a woman’s right to choose it needs to be be vigorously defended but I would be shocked if this ended up as a law on the books ever in Texas.

And would ya look at that; a suit was already filed…

Last edited:

Wow, just wow at this. The GOP truly is devious to achieve their agenda.

They found a way around the 6 week fetal heartbeat ban so that the law is not unconstitutional and won't be blocked by courts.

This is because the state will not be enforcing the ban and those receiving an abortion are not being targeted.

Under this recently passed senate bill that goes into effect September 1st, Texas law allows anyone, anywhere, for any reason to sue anyone who aids and abets with providing an abortion once a fetal heartbeat is detected. However, the law is so vague it could apply to family members giving moral support or money to help with an abortion as well as any nurse or healthcare provider performing/assisting with the abortion. It could also apply to a priest a person talks to for advice. The law also comes with a $10,000 reward for anyone who is successfully able to sue.

So this mean any anti-abortion group in the country, or person who is against abortion from another state could sue people that help provide abortions or support friends or family members in their decision of getting an abortion in the state of Texas.

This type of law has not existed before and has not been challenged. So it will likely be an effective tool for detering abortions for years to come until a SCOTUS decision is made on this.

It sounds like the end game here is to make it financially impossible for healthcare providers to provide abortions creating an abortion dessert. Not to mention the threat of your own family of being sued.

Exactly what @TenderLovingKiller® said. This is such a bad law that it's going to have to be challenged. It seems almost impossible to actually implement and anyone that did would have to have the sort of proof that they can only get with medical evidence. And I would seriously question if they had any right to that evidence if they are not the individual being treated or the doctor treating them. Otherwise this becomes a game of he said/she said.

I'm the worst at remembering desert vs dessert until someone told me that desserts are just stressed spelled backwards. This resonated with me.
when I was little, my mama would say "you want two of one!" to remember the double s.

realistic or not, I've been feeling sick to my stomach since this first entered discussion months ago. I think I mentioned it in here.

the fights and protests at the Capitol are never ending (over this and such much more bullshit,) and I am so tired of feeling like I need to leave the home I love for my sanity. anyone in a friendlier clime wanna adopt a stray bfly for a little while?

when I was little, my mama would say "you want two of one!" to remember the double s.

realistic or not, I've been feeling sick to my stomach since this first entered discussion months ago. I think I mentioned it in here.

the fights and protests at the Capitol are never ending (over this and such much more bullshit,) and I am so tired of feeling like I need to leave the home I love for my sanity. anyone in a friendlier clime wanna adopt a stray bfly for a little while?
You can stay in the basement. There is a mini fridge and a ping pong table however you’re on your own when it comes to a bathroom. Also, I hope you don’t mind spiders.

Last edited:

I feel you, B.
I got off of FB last year and it helped immensely, but I just cannot watch all of the social cohesion that we used to have completely unravel into stunts and swindles. I'm glad to have both NOLA and Baton Rouge to influence our governing here, but once John Bell is out, people are going to elect a Republican--this is our pattern; the time after that, we'll go for the Democrat. So while we haven't really shown our butts to the nation lately, just wait until we get a proper GOP candidate in power.

Also, I know Greg Abbott is terrible but compared to the Texas Lieutenant Governor and Texas Attorney General (the two people most likely to become Governor once Abbott leaves office) he comes off as almost a moderate (though only by Texas GOP standards).
they are all fucking criminals. in the case of the AG, literally a criminal.

Abbott is a run-of-the-mill moneygrubbing asshole, but all sides have known that ever since he came into power and immediately changed the very laws that allowed him to sue and get $$$$$$$ after his accident. he keeps leaning Trumpier to hold his seat.

he is calling repeat special sessions for what- the rebuilding efforts our economy and schools are facing? the rural uptick in covid where there is no healthcare? the power grid that has failed and will fail again? nope, only his priorities get time- restricting voting, restricting women's rights, restricting trans rights. fuck- he even changed laws protecting heritage trees so he could tear down some when building a new home a few years back. he has always transparently ruled by following the $ or his personal whims.

far right, moderate, yellow dogs- no mistaking that its always corporations over citizens in the end. the losers are all constituents in the state.

aaand although I don't think they really have the power, the Texas House just approved arrest warrants for their peers that fled to DC.

fun.

aaand although I don't think they really have the power, the Texas House just approved arrest warrants for their peers that fled to DC.

fun.
In Oregon when GOP State Reps fled to avoid a quorum on an Cap & Trade Pollution bill the Governor Kate Brown had the OR State Troopers attempt to apprehend some of the reps and bring them back to the Statehouse. Obviously their authority ends at the state lines however.

Yeah, they don't have jurisdiction when stay out of the state. They can only arrest them if they set foot back into the state, or any one still in state caught fleeing.

So it effectively means, the dems have to stay out of Texas now until this standoff is over.

Back