Political Discussion

The housing market in the Tahoe area is blowing up.

With people in the Bay area working largely from home right now many of those folks are buying second homes in Tahoe.

In an example of how much the housing market has blown up looking at the listing history of this property.

It was listed for 270k back in 2012. Last November 470k. Now this property listed at 650k.

And this appears to be a common story in the area.

What does this mean for the housing market in general. And is this happening outside of other cities?

Will property values further be driving up by those who can afford 2 homes and further push the lower middle class into poverty?
With amenities like these who wouldn’t wanna move to Lake Tahoe...

View attachment 89411

The best picture from the listing earlier today sadly has been taken down, but here it is.

Yes this crazy Zillow listing is what started this discussion, but it very quickly turned to be about the property values on another forum on I'm on.
My area's property values have followed a similar trend. Really crazy. Absolutely could not come close to affording my house for what they are selling for after we have been here for 6 years. Would be nice to cash in, but hard to make the leap to move to a cheaper area, because we like the reasons it costs more.

Alternate GOP proposal for increasing the minimum wage. It doesn't go nearly far enough. I get it. They don't want to put small businesses out of business. We cannot keep protecting giant monopolies by citing that worker protections and wage increases would kill small business. You know what kills small business? The anti-competitive nature of monopolies.

The recent proposal released by Sens. Mitt Romney (R-Utah) and Tom Cotton (R-Ark.) would not even increase the minimum wage to 1960s levels, after adjusting for inflation. It is a meager increase that fails to address the problem of low pay in the U.S. economy.

The Romney–Cotton proposal would slowly raise the federal minimum wage from its current level of $7.25 per hour to $10 per hour in 2025. In contrast, the Raise the Wage Act of 2021 would raise the minimum wage to $15 per hour by 2025.

Romney–Cotton’s $10 target by 2025 is the equivalent of $9.19 per hour in today’s dollars, about 13% less than what the minimum wage was at its high-water mark in 1968.

It is unconscionable that we should pay the lowest-wage workers today less than what they earned five decades ago, while the economy’s productivity has more than doubled over the last 50 years. The Romney–Cotton proposal would continue that harmful trend; would maintain a separate lower wage for young workers and those with disabilities; and would—incredibly—fail to increase the separate minimum wage for tipped workers that has been stuck at $2.13 per hour for 30 years.

Ah ok. Then i like the electric ones, its a van, none are pretty so not all that fussed about aesthetics.

These new vehicles were designed around increased package delivery.

Regular mail is down, and package delivery is up. Package delivery is also one of the USPS only profitable service currently and they are looking to expand their capacity to deliver packages.

The new vans were built taller with much more room for package storage.

Interesting how they said package delivery is profitable, where as our former president was saying it was a loss and pointing fingers at amazon.

These new vehicles were designed around increased package delivery.

Regular mail is down, and package delivery is up. Package delivery is also one of the USPS only profitable service currently and they are looking to expand their capacity to deliver packages.

The new vans were built taller with much more room for package storage.

Interesting how they said package delivery is profitable, where as our former president was saying it was a loss and pointing fingers at amazon.

Your former toddler in chief wanted to destroy the business to suppress voting rights. Everything he said around USPS has to be seen through a partisan political lens and so be taken with an enormous grain of salt. It’s also almost as much that parcel delivery is the only show in town. Email and online billing has taken such a huge chunk out of letter mail that parcels are where it’s at, especially in the last year with everyone stuck at home and shops shut. Whether it’s profitable now or not it is the only real reliable revenue stream for a postal service going forward so they have to focus on it above almost all else.

Alternate GOP proposal for increasing the minimum wage. It doesn't go nearly far enough. I get it. They don't want to put small businesses out of business. We cannot keep protecting giant monopolies by citing that worker protections and wage increases would kill small business. You know what kills small business? The anti-competitive nature of monopolies.

The recent proposal released by Sens. Mitt Romney (R-Utah) and Tom Cotton (R-Ark.) would not even increase the minimum wage to 1960s levels, after adjusting for inflation. It is a meager increase that fails to address the problem of low pay in the U.S. economy.

The Romney–Cotton proposal would slowly raise the federal minimum wage from its current level of $7.25 per hour to $10 per hour in 2025. In contrast, the Raise the Wage Act of 2021 would raise the minimum wage to $15 per hour by 2025.

Romney–Cotton’s $10 target by 2025 is the equivalent of $9.19 per hour in today’s dollars, about 13% less than what the minimum wage was at its high-water mark in 1968.

It is unconscionable that we should pay the lowest-wage workers today less than what they earned five decades ago, while the economy’s productivity has more than doubled over the last 50 years. The Romney–Cotton proposal would continue that harmful trend; would maintain a separate lower wage for young workers and those with disabilities; and would—incredibly—fail to increase the separate minimum wage for tipped workers that has been stuck at $2.13 per hour for 30 years.

Do we have any figures with how the minimum wage compares to things like rent, college tuition, healthcare and what not. I bet you would find that even $15 an hour doesn't compare anywhere close to the 1960's numbers.

Do we have any figures with how the minimum wage compares to things like rent, college tuition, healthcare and what not. I bet you would find that even $15 an hour doesn't compare anywhere close to the 1960's numbers.

As much as I want people to earn a livable wage i think this policy it a temporary fix for something that reverts back to a minimal affect over time.

No this minimum wage is not really going to be able to help workers afford housing, but we still don't know exactly how Covid is going to affect rents in large cities.

A full-time worker needs to earn an hourly wage of $23.96 on average to afford a modest, two-bedroom rental home in the U.S. This Housing Wage for a two-bedroom home is $16.71 higher than the federal minimum wage of $7.25, and $5.74 higher than the national average hourly wage of $18.22 earned by renters. In 11 states and the District of Columbia, the two-bedroom Housing Wage is more than $25.00 per hour.

Renters with the lowest incomes face the greatest challenge in finding affordable housing. The average minimum wage worker must work nearly 97 hours per week to afford a two-bedroom rental home or 79 hours per week to afford a one-bedroom rental home at the average fair market rent. In no state can a person working full-time at the federal minimum wage afford a two-bedroom apartment at the Fair Market Rent. In only 145 counties can a full-time worker earning the minimum wage afford a one-bedroom rental home at the Fair Market Rent.

In most areas of the U.S., a family of four with poverty-level income earns no more than $26,200 and can afford monthly rent of no more than $655. The national average fair market rent for a one-bedroom home is $1,017 per month and $1,246 for a two-bedroom home, far from affordable for a family in poverty.

And as for healthcare:

The survey found that the average family coverage ran $20,576 in 2019, a 5 percent increase over last year. Workers paid nearly 30 percent of the total, or $6,015, on average.

The average premium for single coverage rose 4 percent, to $7,188, and workers paid $1,242 of that amount, or about 18 percent of the total. During the same period, inflation and wages grew at a slower rate, rising 2 percent and 3.4 percent, respectively, a pattern that has remained consistent over the past several years.

The average deductible for single coverage was $1,655, an amount that has increased by more than a third in the past five years. More than 40 percent of covered workers had deductibles of at least $2,000 in 2019.

“Costs are prohibitive when workers making $25,000 a year have to shell out $7,000 a year just for their share of family premiums,” Drew Altman, KFF president and CEO, said in a press release announcing the study’s release.

And surprise, surprise, they found that even when health care was offered to low wage workers, that coverage was in no way comprehensive.

I lost a limited edition pressing of Death's Symbolic and an out of print board game to a mail truck fire. No compensation because I didn't purchase insurance (I didn't even know that was an option). They didn't even notify me. For over two weeks my tracking said "Out for delivery." I had to go to the post office where they reluctantly told me what happened. T'was a sad day.

In this area all rentals built in the last 15 years have targeted people who make 100k a year or more.

Even one bedroom apartments and studios are priced this way. They are either priced for one person making 100k, or double income.

An hourly wage of $32 an hour with single income is considered living above your means for almost all one bedroom rentals.

I can only afford the cheapest rental properties in Salem. The new apartments they just built I can come nowhere close to being able to afford.

Guess I'm in the wrong career. The Millennial able to afford this housing are likely working in finance or insurance in Boston. Which Boston is big on. I was talking to one such person, and their salary is 350k . No wonder they can afford a one bedroom apartment that targets people with an income of 100k or more.

A family of 2 could not afford a many of the 1 bedroom apartment around here if both were making a minimum wage of $15 an hour. Have kids to support? Forget about it, you would need to get into section 8 housing. Which has up to a 15 year waiting list in this area!

When I was in college, my career path was looking like I could easily make 120k a year when I reached the 3-5 year experience range.

The floor fell out with the recession and globalization. Most companies want to off shore web development work and there is a mentality that "any one can work" and that it's no longer a specialized skill.

5 years experience will now land you with a salary of 45k to 70k depending where you are located in much of the country for a Front End Web Developer.

Jobs in the 6 figure range today either have requirements of 20 years experience or is contractor position.

Technically I'm a Full Stack Developer, which includes backend languages and apps. And I do that kind of work. But my job title and pay does not reflect that. And that's because font end development still makes up the majority of my work as well as many of my colleges. It's like the backend work has to make up the majority of our work for them to considers full stack. But in that case they could use the same argument to say you are a Backend Developer, and not a Full Stack Developer. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

We are flat with no career growth path where I work other than moving up to a VP level position and then the work isn't so much development but rather marketing decisions, sales and management. No yearly cost of living adjustments either. The only real way for me to get a raise is to move around.

Been keeping an eye on things to see if any better job openings come up. But there really has been nothing in the past year. Covid aside, our job Market is saturated. Wayfair laid off 1,000 developers in January of 2020. Much of the advertising agencies also downsized in January of 2020. This means any job that does gets posted is highly competitive with hundreds of people applying for them.

With the surplus of talent, this means the wages are not good on the jobs that do come up. I have been watching Glass Door and there hasn't been anything in the last year that has been worth applying for. They would all mean a pay cut for me. I even saw a front end developer position with 5 years experience listed in Boston for $15 an hour on Glass Door :oops:

I lost a limited edition pressing of Death's Symbolic and an out of print board game to a mail truck fire. No compensation because I didn't purchase insurance (I didn't even know that was an option). They didn't even notify me. For over two weeks my tracking said "Out for delivery." I had to go to the post office where they reluctantly told me what happened. T'was a sad day.
That sucks.

Also, for most records I have purchased, I have never seen the option to add insurance in most retailer or bands shipping options.

How do you even add it?

Back