Political Discussion

Here is a good explanation of the high energy bills in Texas and how they are possible by Judge Clay Lewis Jenkins of Dallas Country

How come Texans face high energy bills? What caused it and how can Texas fix it?
The energy market scheme was designed by Texas leaders to benefit large-scale commercial companies using a lot of energy. In Texas, commercial energy shoppers can take advantage of the opportunities and wholesale purchases that small businesses and ordinary Texans can't get. For this, companies have employees / consultants who manage their energy purchases by taking advantage of price falls and covering risks.
With these companies in mind, Texas created a system that allows a wide range of shopping options, but little consumer protection. The rest of us buy energy from retail companies that operate as ′′ middlemen ". These retailers don't generate or deliver power. They offer a variety of plans to consumers. Some of these plans are ′′ fixed rate ". That means the rate you pay is fixed and doesn't change during the term of your contract. Some are ′′ variable plans ′′ and fluctuate with the market. Of those variable plans, some have a risk limit and some don't. Most consumers buy a plan without a full risk appreciation and then forget about it. Once their contract expires, companies change it to their predetermined plan. This plan may be a high fixed rate or a variable rate, but one thing they have in common is that those default plans benefit the retailer, not you.
You can check out what plan you have at http://powertochoose.org/es-es
Follow the next steps to protect yourself if you have a variable plan:
Find out the amount of your invoice so far;
If you're high, stop the ′′ automatic payment ′′ and change plan as soon as possible, preferably to a plan that allows you to change retrospectively at the beginning of the turnover cycle.
Governor
Greg Abbott
Public Utility Commission of Texas
and legislature should immediately investigate
Griddy
and other predatory companies charging exorbitant fees; however, they appear to have followed the scheme set by Texas to allow this to happen .. Texas should ban variable tariff plans, or at least ban the upper end of risk exposure so its tariff can't rise more than a small fraction in any turnover cycle.
This should never have happened! Elected leaders in Austin who caused it must correct and fix it so it never happens again. It's up to all of us to see them do it.

Things are not likely to change in Texas any time soon, even because of this. Because:

Many lawsuits have been filed against the electric companies in Texas already. Any many people know someone who is getting a 10k Bill.

But the lawsuits really have no legal ground to stand on sadly. There is no consumer protections or laws against price gouging. This is all 100% legal in a 100% capitalism market with no government regulation.

Those who had the money auto withdrawn from their accounts will likely never get it back. And this could only add to the issues of people not being able to make rent.

Those who get 10k bills and refuse to pay it my face getting their utilities cut and will likely either have to go through the bankruptcy process or settle it in small claims court.

Another sad thing about this whole situation in Texas that not al lot of people are talking about yet is insurance. Most peoples cut rate insurance does have comprehensive coverage that covers water damage from burst frozen pipes. And why would people ask about it and get that coverage in Texas?

Right now we are just hearing about all the water damage as things warm back up.

This kind of thing is unconscionable. Even if -- and that's a huge if but whatever -- you wanted to give flexibility to companies in order to attract business to TX, you could set up some sort of consumer protection for individuals.

I finally just did get a reply on this other forum related to my original post and healthcare. And it really does show how out of touch people are.

The reply I got was basically someone making a point about this is why you should always choose the top level / most expensive healthcare plan your employer has to offer. Don't cheap out and select the cheaper plan with the high deductible.

I guess that's a fair assumption from their bubble or times passed. But I indeed due have the most expensive plan my employer offers. They offer 4 different plans.

Our healthcare options have gotten significantly worse as larger global corporate holding companies acquire us.

All our healthcare plans have deductibles. The lowest deductible you can get is $1500. The cheapest plan is an HDCP. It has zero out of network coverage. And prescription drugs are not covered until your deductible has been met. The deductible for this plan is $5000, $10,000 for a family.

My only options for healthcare through my employer is shitty health insurance or shittier health insurance.

The sad thing is, they really push that HDCP plan. They say it's a great option if you are young and healthy. And can save you money. Which is desirable to a lot of people at work because wages are nothing spectacular and we live in a high rent area. For me I look at it and know no way! No out of network coverage? Bring on those surprise bills. Also the prescription drug coverage is a no go for me taking a few medications for anxiety.
I work for a health insurance company and our highest cost plan is still a HDHP with a $6000 deductible. What kills me is how my work keeps telling me that they want me to "take care of myself" and go see doctors, but with my awesome health insurance, it costs me $194 just to breathe the same air as my cardiologist for 15 minutes. Please tell me, where is the ROI in that?

I don't have healthcare, just the "access" to healthcare. I can't actually use healthcare to effectively treat myself, but I can use it to gain access to subpar care, that they swear is "data driven" but all I can see is their over reliance on lab tests. If it's not an obvious clinical marker, don't ask a doctor to stop and think about your condition. Besides, the admins at the top have decided that doctors only need, at most 15 minutes with their patients, and anything over that is just wasting money. I have a Master's in Public Health, and I have lost faith in our medical system because I see it driven by money instead of any sort of quality outcome.
I’ve worked in the health and pharmacy insurance sector for about 7 years now and anyone who thinks there aren’t severe issues with the healthcare system in pretty much every sector is either ignorant, contrarian, or very very very lucky...and I work for a major insurer that only really does HDHPs for its employees so I get your pain

I will say though. Out of Network coverage is very rarely worth the additional cost. It doesn’t protect much if at all on surprise bills and utilization has to be massive to pay out real benefits. It’s usually a sucker’s bet unless you know why you need it or it doesn’t get to you as a major extra cost.

edit: If anyone does want help/advice on the insurance side let me know, I just don’t volunteer it since it usually not welcome
I think every major heathcare company is doing HDHP for it's employees. My OON coverage is non-existent, but given that I already pay doctors like I don't have health insurance, it's really a very small difference. The only reason I have health insurance is for catastrophic incidences and as a way to get my foot in the door to see doctors. It's laughable to think that people *should* get yearly physicals that the insurance company will cover (thanks ACA), because how is anyone going to pay for treatment if they do find something wrong. It kills me when I'm in meetings and people are handwringing about how members don't get their annual check ups. It's above my pay rate to tell anyone that the reason these people aren't getting physicals is because they can't afford to treat whatever is wrong, so it's best to not have a diagnosis that could be considered "pre-existing". A lot of these execs don't really understand the impetuous behind health utilization of the poor, and sometimes, I just have to bite my tongue with the amount of ridiculous assumptions they come up with.

@nolalady, actually, I think our cheapest HDCP plan this year did see the deductible jump to $6000 not that I think about it. I really didn't look in to it and stuck with my PPO over the HMO and HDCP options.

I work for a health insurance company and our highest cost plan is still a HDHP with a $6000 deductible. What kills me is how my work keeps telling me that they want me to "take care of myself" and go see doctors, but with my awesome health insurance, it costs me $194 just to breathe the same air as my cardiologist for 15 minutes. Please tell me, where is the ROI in that?

I don't have healthcare, just the "access" to healthcare.

Man, I have been reading this thread for a while and I just feel for you guys in the US - it is crazy with your healthcare! I can't believe (or I totally can) these prices for treatment/visits, etc.

[Not to be a dick, but} - last year I had a pretty big health scare and was in 'Urgent Care' in one centre, ambulance to different hospital, 1.5 days in emergency there, 4 days in private room then moved to a standard shared room (with 1 other person) for 2 more days. All medications, daily meals, CT scan, MRI, Echo-cardiogram. At the end...2 signatures and I walked out - no bills, no insurance to deal with at all....just walked away feeling lucky. I would be in so much debt living in the US - as @nolalady said, you guys are getting terrible access to healthcare (I am sure the healthcare itself is good tho). :oops:

you guys are getting terrible access to healthcare (I am sure the healthcare itself is good tho). :oops:
Actually, all of the stats are conceding that we also have pretty awful healthcare itself. A study that just came out suggests that the third leading cause of all deaths in the US is medical error. And if we analyze health outcomes with other countries, the US is way behind on health outcomes too. We have the lowest life expectancy of our peers and much higher suicide rates. We pay more out of pocket and we have higher rates of obesity, lower rates of physician use (largely due to cost), the highest rates of preventable chronic conditions and the highest rate of avoidable deaths. We suck when compared to places like the UK or France.

I think every major heathcare company is doing HDHP for it's employees. My OON coverage is non-existent, but given that I already pay doctors like I don't have health insurance, it's really a very small difference. The only reason I have health insurance is for catastrophic incidences and as a way to get my foot in the door to see doctors. It's laughable to think that people *should* get yearly physicals that the insurance company will cover (thanks ACA), because how is anyone going to pay for treatment if they do find something wrong. It kills me when I'm in meetings and people are handwringing about how members don't get their annual check ups. It's above my pay rate to tell anyone that the reason these people aren't getting physicals is because they can't afford to treat whatever is wrong, so it's best to not have a diagnosis that could be considered "pre-existing". A lot of these execs don't really understand the impetuous behind health utilization of the poor, and sometimes, I just have to bite my tongue with the amount of ridiculous assumptions they come up with.

That's been the trend I've seen in the time I was looking for other jobs (I'm fully settled here for now).

The physical thing is a lot of window dressing. I agree. At least my job tends to offer a financial incentive to do it beyond it being free but HDHPs are only really good for healthy people (who otherwise don't need the coverage, so cheap is good and HSA contributions build up) or wealthy people who have several thousand to spare to plow into the HSA. I was fortunate that I built up my HSA over the years so when I needed the money for PT and meds last year that it wasn't a loss, but I'd never have spend the liquid funding for the PT I had if not.

Sadly, I do think insurers realize a lot of this...many just don't care or see the bottom line and that's all that matters. It's honestly truly messed up that people are justified in planning medical services or major life events over a benefit year on insurance.

On another note, when I saw this breaking news story pop up on my phone I read it at first as Dominos.

I don't have healthcare, just the "access" to healthcare. I can't actually use healthcare to effectively treat myself, but I can use it to gain access to subpar care, that they swear is "data driven" but all I can see is their over reliance on lab tests. If it's not an obvious clinical marker, don't ask a doctor to stop and think about your condition. Besides, the admins at the top have decided that doctors only need, at most 15 minutes with their patients, and anything over that is just wasting money. I have a Master's in Public Health, and I have lost faith in our medical system because I see it driven by money instead of any sort of quality outcome.

Having recently been diagnosed with Adult Onset Type 1 diabetes, I totally understand. My A1C was insane (15.3) and now I’m on two different kinds of insulin as well as oral meds. I have to have the insulin or I can quite literally fall into a diabetic coma and die.

I got insulin samples from my doctor to get me going. When I went to fill my prescriptions, my insurance company refused to cover one of them. One vial lasts 3-4 weeks and come in 5 vial packages. The cost of just one of the insulin prescriptions (the one they refused) was $1100. The other covered one is $600.

I called my doctor and she called in the same thing as the refused insulin. Same thing different brand. Covered by insurance. I’m very fortunate. My meds cost me $30 per month and doctor visits are $60.

I have a coworker that was just diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. She is on our lowest plan. It does her no good having insurance because of the $6500 deductible before insurance kicks in. So she’s not getting treatment at all.

I have a coworker that was just diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. She is on our lowest plan. It does her no good having insurance because of the $6500 deductible before insurance kicks in. So she’s not getting treatment at all.
This is the trend I am seeing in my data.

If Biden does allow people 60+ to have Medicare, there will be a deluge of people who have put off medical treatment for about 10 years or so, and we are going to have problems with funding moving forward. It's such an astronomically stupid strategy. Let's not pay a dime for people's healthcare until they are old and their healthcare is really, really expensive. Then we should cover 80% of all costs, which will, of course, be way more expensive than giving people support while they are relatively young and healthy, and help them manage their chronic conditions while it's still cost effective to do so. We could keep people healthy for just as much, if not less, than what it costs to bandage people up at 65, after a lifetime of inadequate or no healthcare at all.

Insulin is one of the oldest drugs and cheapest drugs to make. Yet the price in the United States continues to sky rocket.

Many people travel to Mexico to buy the same Insulin. Paying full price in Mexico with cash saves a lot of money for many who still can't afford it in the United States with insurance.

There is an issue, but the explanation they give us is hogwash. They say it's more expensive in the United States because we have a different healthcare system and have to pay for the middle man.

When in reality it is nothing more than everyone trying to maximize the absolute most they can get out of it.

The latest conspiracy theory I heard from my father is that Price Charles died last week. They are holding off on the death announcement until an ideal time to distract from other headlines...

Insulin is one of the oldest drugs and cheapest drugs to make. Yet the price in the United States continues to sky rocket.

Many people travel to Mexico to buy the same Insulin. Paying full price in Mexico with cash saves a lot of money for many who still can't afford it in the United States with insurance.

There is an issue, but the explanation they give us is hogwash. They say it's more expensive in the United States because we have a different healthcare system and have to pay for the middle man.

When in reality it is nothing more than everyone trying to maximize the absolute most they can get out of it.
The Mayo Clinic nailed it when they sited big pharma monopolies as the main reason that insulin is so unaffordable.

Insulin pricing in the United States is the consequence of the exact opposite of a free market: extended monopoly on a lifesaving product in which prices can be increased at will, taking advantage of regulatory and legal restrictions on market entry and importation.

Check out the list of references at the end of the article for more on all of this.

prince phillip? would be even wilder in charles bit it before either of them.

Actually, not sure. In one text he said Prince Phillip, in the other he says Prince Charles.

The first text he sent is he heard that Price Phillip is receiving end of life care and the Queen is being updated hourly. The second one was that he heard that price Charles actually died last Saturday.

Actually, not sure. In one text he said Prince Phillip, in the other he says Prince Charles.

The first text he sent is he heard that Price Phillip is receiving end of life care and the Queen is being updated hourly. The second one was that he heard that price Charles actually died last Saturday.
Oh geez, your dad....

Here's the actual story:
A family moment sparked controversy when Prince Charles visited Prince Philip at King Edward VII’s Hospital on Saturday, Feb. 20. The Duke of Cornwall traveled to London and spent around half an hour at the facility, where the policy is to only allow visitors in “exceptional circumstances” due to COVID-19, per the Associated Press. Though Charles’ time at the hospital was short, the online debate surrounding it has not been.

Philip, the 99-year-old husband of Queen Elizabeth II, was hospitalized on Tuesday, Feb. 16, per the BBC. Buckingham Palace kept the specifics of his health private but did say he’d been admitted “as a precautionary measure.” Yet, given the restrictions other Britons are living under, many Twitter users felt it was unfair for the prince to able to have visitors. Some shared stories of their own loved ones who were hospitalized or even died alone during the pandemic.

People didn't think it was fair that he got to see his dad in the hospital, when so many others have not gotten to see loved ones in the hospital due to Covid restrictions.

While I am compassionate towards any human’s grief and struggles I really don’t give a single shit about the goings on of the monarchy. To act as if the people exalted above all others get to do something unfair is just so stupid to start talking about I have to back away before I get sucked into some stupidity singularity.

This is good. I hope it actually passes.

An effort to end forced arbitration that was previously passed by the House, with help from Google employees, is being revived in Washington on Thursday.

The Forced Arbitration Injustice Repeal (FAIR) Act would ban agreements like mandatory arbitration, which takes away the rights of people to take legal action and participate in class-action lawsuits in case of employment, consumer, antitrust and civil rights disputes. It would allow employees to sue their employers in cases of wage theft, harassment or discrimination, or customers to sue companies over fraud, privacy violations, product liability and more.

Back