Political Discussion

Let me guess, they are going to write this off as a "witch hunt"

Just in case you were wondering if your college degree means much (answer depends on the decade you were born)...

It's got a good video imbedded in the article that I can't get to post here. Basically, a college degree though it will give you increased income, is not going to be a great vehicle for amassing wealth--my guess is student loan debt. Once you get to people born in the 80's, which is where this analysis stops, there is little to no wealth gain across any race/ethincity. For those racial/ethnic groups that are doing better, I wonder how much of that is because the base line for non-college educated workers in these demographics are horribly under paid.

Just in case you were wondering if your college degree means much (answer depends on the decade you were born)...

It's got a good video imbedded in the article that I can't get to post here. Basically, a college degree though it will give you increased income, is not going to be a great vehicle for amassing wealth--my guess is student loan debt. Once you get to people born in the 80's, which is where this analysis stops, there is little to no wealth gain across any race/ethincity. For those racial/ethnic groups that are doing better, I wonder how much of that is because the base line for non-college educated workers in these demographics are horribly under paid.
I know at my workplace if I attained a relevant degree I could argue for higher compensation. Also, when going up for promotions or trying to change functions, having a relevant degree always works in your favour, historically we had to pass certifications for certain things, but a degree in something similar was enough to allow you to skip the certs.

That being said, most of the people I work with have no degrees, or their degree has nothing to do with computer science.

Personally I couldn't afford school. I did a quarter of technical college then had to find a job to keep going... I just so happened to land an entry level job at Google.

One thing I have noticed is most people who did not go to college and who don't work in the service industry make more than those with a bachelors level degree.

For example, many cousins of mine in the family did not go to college and entered the work force directly. They work in construction, got into the company their father works at and are union. State jobs are prevailing wage, meaning it doesn't matter who you work for, you get the same rate. Doing manual labor they entered the workforce and starting making 6 figures easily. Working a job that has a lot of over time? They have made nearly $200,000 in a single year due to a large project they were on. Much more than I make with a Bachelors. And I have huge student loan debt.

People I went to high school with also make a lot more money working at their family landscaping company or tree service company and what not.

Unless you work in finance or healthcare, where good money can be found, having a college degree and working for corporate america for sure does not generate wealth or put you in a spot where you are better of than people without a college degree

Back