Political Discussion

TBH, I hope this “skinny” bill blows up. There is going to have to be at least one more stimulus bill passed but getting a third passed might prove impossible depending on the circumstances. The Dems (and de facto average Americans) would be better served attempting to pass a big 2nd stimulus under Biden, it will allow him to press harder to get it done.

yeah, if the republicans maintain control of the senate, which is the most likely outcome, I don't see a third stimulus bill passing. As time goes on the republicans are less and less likely to support any kind of stimulus bill. We need to get it passed on the second bill. But I fear the second bill is just becoming skinnier and skinnier.

I was beginning to think his vampire blood had made him immune to the ‘rona.
Well in keeping in the tradition of the 2020 conspiracy drenched times, some are saying this was Trumps way of benching him without airing his disapproval of how things are going...............I'm pushing for COVID though, is that wrong?

Wow, things are worse out there than I even realized.

One thing I did not stop to think about yet until I saw a snap story is how bad things are for tipped workers right now.

The average tip size per check is down by 40% I saw in a tweet from a Verified account this morning. And in many cases business is also slow.

On Snap Chat yesterday I saw someone who works at Denny's make a grand total of $12 in tips for a 8 hour shift. Business was that slow for people coming in to dine at Denny's. And to make maters worse, she only makes $2 something an hour because she's she a tipped worker.

Denny's isn't closing and part time workers are seeing their hours cut back. Thus they are not eligible for unemployment. This girl was really worried about not being able to make the mortgage payment next month. She can't make a living right and her actual take home pay is less than federal minimum wage on some days because business is so slow and tips are next to nothing on some days.

Most all business establishments like Denny's are seeing are take out or deliveries through third party companies like Grub Hub or Door Dash. The waitresses for the most part almost never get tips from third party delivery services and a lot of people don't leave tips at all or smaller tips when it comes to takeout.

Trickle down is even stupider when the reason people are laid off is because they have no business. Throwing money at that business doesn't do shit. They aren't going to hire people when they have no/less customers/demand.

My factory is going to cut production in half next year because demand is so low. If they get money, there is no way they are paying the same number of manufacturing techs for half of them to do nothing. Sure, they might keep on a few more future development people or something, but those techs are not qualified for those jobs.
This is my exact argument. How are all these people supposed to get back to work producing things when most Americans cannot afford them? If rent is taking up a major chunk of people's monthly take home pay, how are they going to also go out to eat or stimulate the economy? Food prices have risen anywhere from 10-30% depending on the item. We have seriously contracted our eating out budget in my home because the grocery store has gotten more expensive.
Nope, not at all. But it might help shareholders ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I think they care about pushing through protections for businesses limiting them from any form of liability more than anything else.
You've hit the nail on the head. The CARES act has in it specifics on who pays for things like the Covid vaccine itself--for insurance purposes of course. And there are protections that shield employers against employee litigation if they get sick from Covid, even if the empolyer was negligent in keeping workers safe. This one sprung up from Cumo's idea to pass some laws in NY that protected nursing home operators from litigation against angry families.

I just wonder how great all of this will be for shareholders when no one can afford anything. This seems to be the path we are going.

View attachment 79298

2020. What is wrong with people.
People like the author of this letter are why a lot of people on the right are up in arms about the war on Christmas, cancel culture and the like and support Trump's antics to "own the libs."

When it really is just a few people who cannot get their own head out of their ass.

Apparently Colorado sent out their own relief funds. They are currently in the process of depositing funds into peoples bank accounts who provided direct deposit information when they received their state tax refund.

On another forum I'm on, someone from the Denver area was complaining about how $322 in relief funds that they don't need just landed in their bank account.

And those who are most in need are getting nothing if they didn't have a refund in 2020.

Awhile back somebody posted a chart depicting the changes in cost of living over the years via things ranging from TVs to college to homes. It did an excellent job of painting the ways in which cheap consumer goods don't compensate for the rise is cost of college, rent and the such.

I can't find it though... anyone know what I'm talking about?

Awhile back somebody posted a chart depicting the changes in cost of living over the years via things ranging from TVs to college to homes. It did an excellent job of painting the ways in which cheap consumer goods don't compensate for the rise is cost of college, rent and the such.

Post in thread 'Dispatches from Biden’s America: ****, we still have Trump until January 20th.'
Dispatches from Biden’s America: ****, we still have Trump until January 20th.

I think I know what you are talking about but are you sure it wasn't an article that might of had a graph in it. It's been awhile.

What I would love to see is a chart that graphs the cost of college, rent and what not against average salaries over the year. It would really show how previous generations were able to have a lot more disposable income that they could invest / put into savings where as today we are finding ourselves in crippling debt from college and rent taking up must of our salary.

My rent goes up 3 to 10 percent each year guaranteed. I'm fully expecting $100 minimum increase come February.

Will I see that increase in salary next year? Nope, I doubt it. What I'm hearing for next year is there will be no cost of living adjustments, and promotions will be to fill open positions. What does that mean for me? It means I can't get a promotion because I'm ready or the work I'm already working on reflects a higher pay grade. Like in 2020, my salary will not be adjusted for the work I do. I can only get a raise in 2021 if someone in a higher level positions leaves and there is an opening. Meaning, rent will not only out pace my raises in inflation each year, but my wages are staying stagnant and rent is starting to price me out.

I think I know what you are talking about but are you sure it wasn't an article that might of had a graph in it. It's been awhile.

What I would love to see is a chart that graphs the cost of college, rent and what not against average salaries over the year. It would really show how previous generations were able to have a lot more disposable income that they could invest / put into savings where as today we are finding ourselves in crippling debt from college and rent taking up must of our salary.

My rent goes up 3 to 10 percent each year guaranteed. I'm fully expecting $100 minimum increase come February.

Will I see that increase in salary next year? Nope, I doubt it. What I'm hearing for next year is there will be no cost of living adjustments, and promotions will be to fill open positions. What does that mean for me? It means I can't get a promotion because I'm ready or the work I'm already working on reflects a higher pay grade. Like in 2020, my salary will not be adjusted for the work I do. I can only get a raise in 2021 if someone in a higher level positions leaves and there is an opening. Meaning, rent will not only out pace my raises in inflation each year, but my wages are staying stagnant and rent is starting to price me out.
Dude, I linked right above you.

Back