Political Discussion

So I'm gonna take a post from Reddit and kind of mesh it into a hybrid that also contains some of my thoughts on Pete Buttigieg. And then I may do a post on Harris... who as I've already said IS somebody I would vote for but is also somebody I (as a Californian) find hard to trust. With any of my posts I am merely trying to have an honest conversation and I encourage anyone to give me their rebuttal.

Anyways....

"The problem with Buttigieg is that the co-opts policies from the progressive movement, but then talks his way around them instead of actually telling voters where he stands. He essentially says, "this is a good idea, but so is this..." The entire "issues" portion of his website used to be a string of videos of him talking in platitudes. Now it's just a bunch of vague goals with occasional policy.

As someone who is a Warren/Harris/Sanders supporter, I just find it incredibly frustrating how Buttigieg seems to signal that he is a "progressive" but has shown very little evidence that he actually supports progressive legislation beyond finding them "interesting" and then going on carefully worded tangents about why his version of those interesting things is better.

For instance when he is asked about healthcare, he says he "wants to work towards it" but then quickly says that his version of healthcare would be Medicare "for all who want it." Which basically means that he wants a public option, and as president he would not advocate for the bill introduced by Bernie Sanders and cosponsored by Kamala Harris and Elizabeth Warren.

Buttigieg does the same thing for Green New Deal, where instead of telling the electorate what he actually supports, he says "I think it's the right beginning", but then fails to elaborate. On his website, it says he will "decarbonize" transportation but doesn't give concrete details.

He also sprinkles his language with Think Tank talking points. See his answer on student debt last night- he said "we shouldn't pay for rich people to be going to school". Which is a favorite line of Third Way. The problem with that is A) billionaire's kids go to private school Pete. So that's just an excuse designed to dissuade the public. Not mention that the rich would be footing much of the bill in Warren and Bernie's plans. So they should probably be able to utilize them B) More importantly, social programs have to be blanket in nature. Otherwise, they are liable to become an us vs. them proposition and are easily undermined. FDR talked about this extensively. Even Obama understood it as he approach healthcare reform.

And while his policy is vague in a lot of places, it's pretty clear that he doesn't support extending the social safety net. Which is fine, that's what this process is about (staking out different positions). But he is clearly carved out a space to the center and needs to stop being mentioned in the same breath as Warren and Harris as a progressive. Take childcare for instance. Someone like Elizabeth Warren wants to introduce a federal program that would guarantee free child care for anyone under 200 percent of the poverty line.

Whereas Buttigieg thinks that tax credits are the only thing we need to fix that problem. (It's almost a running joke at this point how many moderate Democrats think all of our issues can be solved with tax credits). Other examples include his stance on healthcare, climate change and affordable college (all of which I've already touched upon).

I just think too many people in the media are presenting him as this great new voice in politics, but his politics scream run-of-the-mill moderate Democrat. It's even more frustrating because I feel like with Buttigieg this is all part of the plan. Which is to say, to co-opt as much of the progressive platform as possible and subvert it to more moderate norms."

Last edited:
Speaking of PA politicians:

My mom cleans for his family and keeps texting me in full gossip mode.
Can you get your mom to text me gossip?

As it pertains to Kamala Harris:

(As a Californian) Harris is probably my 3rd or 4th option and the last of the options that I wouldn't consider a complete disaster. (I view her as Obama 2.0 which is certainly better than Biden). I would 100% vote for her and admire that she is at least holding firm on progressive positions at the moment (unlike Pete or Beto). But I do think it's important to understand why some people (progressive Californians, activists) find it hard to trust her:

After campaigning for DA on systemic change she proceeded to (among other things):
  1. Defend California’s uniquely cruel three-strikes law, the only one in the country which imposed life sentences for a third “strike” that was any minor felony. She urged voters to reject Proposition 66, a ballot initiative that would have reformed the harsh law by making only serious or violent felonies trigger life sentences.
  2. In 2010, Harris pushed a heavy-handed truancy initiative that went into effect in 2011. This anti-truancy bill—SB 1317—made it so that parents of truant children who miss more than 10 percent of their classes can be charged with a misdemeanor and given a $2,000 fine or a year in prison “if, after being offered state support and counseling, their kids still fail to improve their attendance.”
  3. Despite forming the first Mortgage and Investment Fraud Unit in the San Francisco District Attorney’s Office, Harris refused to go after “foreclosure king” Steven Mnuchin, a decision she defended as recently as January. Mnuchin, who oversaw some 36,000 foreclosures between 2009 to 2015, violated numerous state foreclosure laws, and yet Harris refused to concede that his record should keep him from serving as President Donald Trump’s Treasury Secretary.
  4. Appealed the judge’s decision that a man had been wrongly convicted of murder and must be released on the basis that Larsen had filed his paperwork too late — a technicality.
  5. She made California cops where body cameras which was a progressive move- However, she opposed setting up state wide programs to monitor them and instead left it up to individual departments, which was in fairness, is a regressive move.
  6. Supported policy paying prisoners $1.65 a day to fight wild fires.
https://www.jacobinmag.com/2017/08/kamala-harris-trump-obama-california-attorney-general

https://theintercept.com/2017/01/05...why-she-didnt-prosecute-steven-mnuchins-bank/

https://www.thedailybeast.com/kamal...ied-to-keep-inmates-locked-up-for-cheap-labor

Lastly, I'd add that she was absolutely wonderful last night. Which is what I expected. She's a prosecutor after all. I look forward to watching her in future debates.

Last edited:
As it pertains to Kamala Harris:

(As a Californian) Harris is probably my 3rd or 4th option and the last of the options that I wouldn't consider a complete disaster. (I view her as Obama 2.0 which is certainly better than Biden). I would 100% vote for her and admire that she is at least holding firm on progressive positions at the moment (unlike Pete or Beto). But I do think it's important to understand why some people (progressive Californians, activists) find it hard to trust her:

After campaigning for DA on systemic change she proceeded to (among other things):
  1. Defend California’s uniquely cruel three-strikes law, the only one in the country which imposed life sentences for a third “strike” that was any minor felony. She urged voters to reject Proposition 66, a ballot initiative that would have reformed the harsh law by making only serious or violent felonies trigger life sentences.
  2. In 2010, Harris pushed a heavy-handed truancy initiative that went into effect in 2011. This anti-truancy bill—SB 1317—made it so that parents of truant children who miss more than 10 percent of their classes can be charged with a misdemeanor and given a $2,000 fine or a year in prison “if, after being offered state support and counseling, their kids still fail to improve their attendance.”
  3. Despite forming the first Mortgage and Investment Fraud Unit in the San Francisco District Attorney’s Office, Harris refused to go after “foreclosure king” Steven Mnuchin, a decision she defended as recently as January. Mnuchin, who oversaw some 36,000 foreclosures between 2009 to 2015, violated numerous state foreclosure laws, and yet Harris refused to concede that his record should keep him from serving as President Donald Trump’s Treasury Secretary.
  4. Appealed the judge’s decision that a man had been wrongly convicted of murder and must be released on the basis that Larsen had filed his paperwork too late — a technicality.
  5. She made California cops where body cameras which was a progressive move- However, she opposed setting up state wide programs to monitor them and instead left it up to individual departments, which was in fairness, is a regressive move.
  6. Supported policy paying prisoners $1.65 a day to fight wild fires.
https://www.jacobinmag.com/2017/08/kamala-harris-trump-obama-california-attorney-general

https://theintercept.com/2017/01/05...why-she-didnt-prosecute-steven-mnuchins-bank/

https://www.thedailybeast.com/kamal...ied-to-keep-inmates-locked-up-for-cheap-labor

Lastly, I'd add that she was absolutely wonderful last night. Which is what I expected. She's a prosecutor after all. I look forward to watching her in future debates.
I'd take Biden over Harris any day of the week. Harris' DA record is downright scary imo and full of discrepancies to the candidate she claims to be now. Yes Biden is a politician in every bad sense of the word, but Harris is 100% a cop in every bad sense of the word. Both are a no for me, but Harris is the much scarier option imo.

My order of preference is probably

Bernie > Warren > Everyone else.

I’d love to see a Warren/Sanders ticket with Bernie as VP. That would be a dream.

I'm starting to agree with that. If only because Bernie could focus all of his energy on feeding grassroots activism while serving as VP (and the age issue- which is very real- would go away). The only problem is that we'd lose a progressive in Senate.

Same time, if they were to join up sooner than later then we wouldn't be at risk of splitting the progressive vote and that's worth losing a Senate seat over.

I'd take Biden over Harris any day of the week. Harris' DA record is downright scary imo and full of discrepancies to the candidate she claims to be now. Yes Biden is a politician in every bad sense of the word, but Harris is 100% a cop in every bad sense of the word. Both are a no for me, but Harris is the much scarier option imo.

Yeah, can't quite agree with you on Harris. She has been solid as a Senator while not having to really be tested because nothing of progressive value is coming to a vote with Trump in office. And she did some good too as a prosecutor (That Jacobin piece I linked is a really fair and nuanced look at her past). Meanwhile, she has the balls to hold firm on progressive issues even if she may not follow through on all of them.

But I agree that Warren/Sanders are hands down the best options and that it's dead clear that's whom people under 40 support and will turn out for. The problem is that Gen Z is punch drunk in love with Pete, Boomers still think electablity is based in the realities of the 1990's and the African American community associate Biden with Obama instead of his track record.

So I have no idea what will happen.

Last edited:
Yeah, can't quite agree with you on Harris. She has been solid as a Senator while not having to really be tested because nothing of progressive value is coming to a vote with Trump in office. And she did some good too as a prosecutor (That Jacobin piece I linked is a really fair and nuanced look at her past). Meanwhile, she has the balls to hold firm on progressive issues even if she may not follow through on all of them.
She defended ICE just last year. She supported a 2008 policy reporting undocumented juveniles arrested by police to ICE, before they had been convicted of crimes. She tried to send parents to jail for their children missing school. Shes argued California couldn't let prisoners go because they needed the labor. She supported sending prisoners to fight wildfires for slave wages. She has supported harsher sentences, larger bail requirements, longer prison terms, more prosecution of petty crimes, greater criminal justice involvement in low-income and minority communities, less due process for people in the system, less transparency, and less accountability for bad cops. Honestly shes really lucky noone dove into her record last night.

You cant hold firm on progressive policy while not following through on them.

Shes firmly in my no category and no amount of taking Biden to task will change that.

Shes a cop and all cops are bastards.

She defended ICE just last year. She supported a 2008 policy reporting undocumented juveniles arrested by police to ICE, before they had been convicted of crimes. She tried to send parents to jail for their children missing school. Shes argued California couldn't let prisoners go because they needed the labor. She supported sending prisoners to fight wildfires for slave wages. She has supported harsher sentences, larger bail requirements, longer prison terms, more prosecution of petty crimes, greater criminal justice involvement in low-income and minority communities, less due process for people in the system, less transparency, and less accountability for bad cops. Honestly shes really lucky noone dove into her record last night.

You cant hold firm on progressive policy while not following through on them.

Shes firmly in my no category and no amount of taking Biden to task will change that.

Shes a cop and all cops are bastards.

1000% fair (other than the *all* cops portion). I ain't trying to change your mind when there are better options. But that list still don't touch Joe on the "I helped fuck this country up and now I want more power" scale.

And right on que she makes me look bad for saying nice things about her:

In 2010, Harris pushed a heavy-handed truancy initiative that went into effect in 2011. This anti-truancy bill—SB 1317—made it so that parents of truant children who miss more than 10 percent of their classes can be charged with a misdemeanor and given a $2,000 fine or a year in prison “if, after being offered state support and counseling, their kids still fail to improve their attendance.”

As a person who works in education in CA and involved in interventions regarding truancy my experiences with truancy law is that it is extremely lenient. We have given the parents many chances and the DA doesn’t get involved till very late in the game till anything punitive is even on the table.

As a person who works in education in CA and involved in interventions regarding truancy my experiences with truancy law is that it is extremely lenient. We have given the parents many chances and the DA doesn’t get involved till very late in the game till anything punitive is even on the table.

Yeah, I actually just watched a panel of activists (of different ideologies) discussing the idea of a Harris/Bernie ticket and that was brought up. Worth a watch if your are interested:

Police are only needed in inequitable societies to propagate that inequity by keeping those who have from those who have not.
Police protect and serve the power structure.

Are all cops bad human beings or inherently evil - of course not, but their profession is an inherently unjust one and inherently corrupted.

Yeah, I actually just watched a panel of activists (of different ideologies) discussing the idea of a Harris/Bernie ticket and that was brought up. Worth a watch if your are interested:

I don’t really have 25 minutes to watch that video, but I will say there really needs to be more supports before it gets to the point of chronic truancy.

Support for drug addicted parents
Mental Health support
Better ways to change bad parenting
More gang intervention

That being said there are alsways families that are hopeless and waste opportunities and resources. I’m cool with that. Not everybody is ready for the help they need at the time it’s given to them.

Normally y’all know I avoid posting in this thread like the plague, but I happen to have some information about this case as my current student is the cousin of the woman who was charged. What that CNN story leaves out is that not only did she initiate and press the confrontation, she also was the first to pull out a gun. The woman who shot her did so in self defense, which is why the grand jury declined to indict. To quote her cousin, “Man, it’s messed up, but wrong is wrong, and she was wrong.”

Alabama law holds that the person who initiates criminal activity is liable for the deaths of anyone that occur during that activity, innocent or coconspirator alike. In this case the mother engaged in an aggravated assault upon the other woman who shot the mother in self defense leading to the death of her unborn child, making the mother legally responsible for that death.

So, while one can debate the merits of the case or how wise it was to charge her (I wouldn’t have simply because of the optics) the article was written in such a way as to purposely gin up outrage by leaving out crucial facts of the case.

Normally y’all know I avoid posting in this thread like the plague, but I happen to have some information about this case as my current student is the cousin of the woman who was charged. What that CNN story leaves out is that not only did she initiate and press the confrontation, she also was the first to pull out a gun. The woman who shot her did so in self defense, which is why the grand jury declined to indict. To quote her cousin, “Man, it’s messed up, but wrong is wrong, and she was wrong.”

Alabama law holds that the person who initiates criminal activity is liable for the deaths of anyone that occur during that activity, innocent or coconspirator alike. In this case the mother engaged in an aggravated assault upon the other woman who shot the mother in self defense leading to the death of her unborn child, making the mother legally responsible for that death.

So, while one can debate the merits of the case or how wise it was to charge her (I wouldn’t have simply because of the optics) the article was written in such a way as to purposely gin up outrage by leaving out crucial facts of the case.
All things I knew, and are being reported on fairly widely. Doesnt make any of it right.

I truly do not understand the hate for Bernie on here. Like how exactly has he become intolerable?

Did he suddenly become wrong that money in politics is rotting politics from its core? Is he suddenly wrong about economic inequality (when a study was just released showing that the 1% has gained 21 trillion in wealth while the bottom half lost .7 trillion in the past 30 years). Did he flip on stances that he has held and been steady on for 30 years? What in particular did he say that rubbed you the wrong way?
For me, it's not what he's been saying, it's how he's been saying it. It's that continuing to yell at us all, continuing to whinge about whether the apparatus of the party that he's not a member of doesn't favor his candidacy, continuing to insist that just because his ideas are good, he is the ONLY one who can succeed with them...it was sort of lovable at first, but I've grown weary of the endless browbeating. And that criticism of him automatically becomes a rationale to describe why the presumed alternative to him isn't as good as him:
I love Warren and would vote for her in a general and even campaign for her, but there are several key differences:

1) Her foreign policy history sucks. She has vote after vote to her name that indicates she has no problem with the MIC and never ending war- the latest of which being the fact that she voted for Trump's bloated military budget.

2) She hasn't once indicated that she understands the importance of mass mobilization and getting the grassroots nourished and activated in every square inch of the country.

3) Her silence on standing rock (which was choke full of human rights violations and is a jarring example of our government's preference for profits over people and unwillingness to take climate change seriously) was deafening and deeply disappointing. Meanwhile Bernie was very vocal about it.

4) There is also the fact that she has indicated that she will take super pac money in a general election which is a huge, huge red flag as it pertains to her truly being willing to take actually on monied interests on a systemic level.

Again, I still like her a lot. And I take the time to defend her anytime I hear somebody bashing her... but this Bernie hate is baffling and deeply frustrating presuming it's coming from people who actually supported him last go round.
As to Tusli, her record speaks for itself. She has governed in an extremely progressive manner. I don't really know what to say about the fact that certain people on the right really like her other than her foreign policy deeply appeals to a lot of libertarians I know (and is the reason I'm glad she is on the stage). Most libertarians also hate Trump so if you A) hate Trump B) you have this current crop of Dems, it somewhat makes sense that you'd get behind Tulsi. It's a moot point anyways because she has no chance in hell.
The corollary to her fandom on the right is that she continues to engage by appearing on shows hosted by Tucker "bag of lotion and hair" Carlson and other darlings of the fringe crowd. I won't go so far as to intimate that she's pandering to them in coded language or anything, but she's definitely not disavowing that element of the electorate. The other GIANT red flag about Tulsi Gabbard is that the party she's trying to become the de facto leader of is at this very moment helping to sponsor opponents to primary her in her home district.

I guess what I'm saying is that I don't think the true test of leadership is the ideological purity test that I see being applied above. I want someone with progressive leanings, yes, who also is a realist who knows that come 2021, they will still be dealing with the problems of Mitch McConnell and the fallout of the Trump administration and electoral security and so on. I want my leadership to be bold, sure, but more than anything, I want it to be steady, well-reasoned, and effective.

I don’t really have 25 minutes to watch that video, but I will say there really needs to be more supports before it gets to the point of chronic truancy.

Support for drug addicted parents
Mental Health support
Better ways to change bad parenting
More gang intervention

That being said there are alsways families that are hopeless and waste opportunities and resources. I’m cool with that. Not everybody is ready for the help they need at the time it’s given to them.
I dont care if it only ever happened to one parent and they were the most hopeless parent ever. Throwing them in jail is not the answer.

For me, it's not what he's been saying, it's how he's been saying it. It's that continuing to yell at us all, continuing to whinge about whether the apparatus of the party that he's not a member of doesn't favor his candidacy, continuing to insist that just because his ideas are good, he is the ONLY one who can succeed with them. It was lovable at first, but I've grown weary of the endless browbeating. And that criticism of him automatically becomes a rationale to describe why the presumed alternative to him isn't as good as him:
Hard pass on all of this

Back