Phono Cartridges - Your favorites and least favorites?

The AT OC9XML is a very talented cartridge indeed. It’s very close to the Hana SL it replaced. If I was to pick the minute differences I might say that I prefer the tone of the Hana but there really is very little between the two.
I’ve only got about 30 hours on mine so far but I am amazed at how often it elevates my opinion on the sonic quality of records that I am familiar with. It has only made every record sound better sonically. I am very impressed coming from my A/T vm740ml.

I’ve only got about 30 hours on mine so far but I am amazed at how often it elevates my opinion on the sonic quality of records that I am familiar with. It has only made every record sound better sonically. I am very impressed coming from my A/T vm740ml.

Yes I noticed a big step up when I went to my first MC too. That was the Hana SL approx two years ago. This one is there or there about, I probably totally prefer the Hana, but not by much, detail wise there’s nothing between them. Both will track absolutely anything too which is actually a really big thing given that no record seems to be perfectly flat anymore.

I’m likely a similar 30 hours on mine too.

Yes I noticed a big step up when I went to my first MC too. That was the Hana SL approx two years ago. This one is there or there about, I probably totally prefer the Hana, but not by much, detail wise there’s nothing between them. Both will track absolutely anything too which is actually a really big thing given that no record seems to be perfectly flat anymore.

I’m likely a similar 30 hours on mine too.
I’m still glad I went to the vm740ml first, it was noticeably better than the vm95ml. I wanted to go MC and stay with A/T but was unwilling to settle for a less desirable stylus and the oc9xml is the lowest bar of entry at that point.

20240216_022504.jpg
The Paua is fully broken in now and yeah, this is pretty special. It's so incredibly natural and seemingly effortless in its presentation. Every single instrument has so much air and separation it honestly sounds like there's a separate turntable playing each instrument in unison. There's so much depth to every instrument, instead of sounding like a 2 dimensional soundwave being projected at you, it sounds like you're inside the music and every instrument sounds like it has an actual 3 dimensional form. The 2M Black was incredibly punchy and fun but the Paua just sounds correct, it's not coloring anything the way the Black would (though I still love the Black), everything just sounds so real you could reach out a grab it. Very very cool.

Last edited:
View attachment 195649
The Paua is fully broken in now and yeah, this is pretty special. It's so incredibly natural and seemingly effortless in its presentation. Every single instrument has so much air and separation it honestly sounds like there's a separate turntable playing each instrument in unison. There's so much depth to every instrument, instead of sounding like a 2 dimensional soundwave being projected at you, it sounds like you're inside the music and every instrument sounds like it has an actual 3 dimensional form. The 2M Black was incredibly punchy and fun but the Paua just sounds correct, it's not coloring anything that way the Black would (though I still love the Black), everything just sounds so real you could reach out a grab it. Very very cool.
Are you shroomin?

I can't say enough good things about the AT33MONO. It's $300 and sounds better than any mono switch or cable trick you'll ever try. Really will add some awesome soundstage to any mono album.

Also it's not strapped or bridged. One coil for each channel, which is the optimum solution for a 2 channel setup.

I think I have over 200-300 hours on it now. The closest competitor is well over $1K higher in price.

20240227_194854.jpg

I mounted the Rega Aphetta 3 on my Rega P8 this morning. A bit brighter presentation than the Hana SL I took off, but that’s with less than 2 hours on it so far. Good imaging and detail.

View attachment 195648
I’ve always been tempted by a pure Rega vinyl front end (cart/TT/phono) but I’ve never experienced it. Not even at a dealer ironically.

View attachment 195649
The Paua is fully broken in now and yeah, this is pretty special. It's so incredibly natural and seemingly effortless in its presentation. Every single instrument has so much air and separation it honestly sounds like there's a separate turntable playing each instrument in unison. There's so much depth to every instrument, instead of sounding like a 2 dimensional soundwave being projected at you, it sounds like you're inside the music and every instrument sounds like it has an actual 3 dimensional form. The 2M Black was incredibly punchy and fun but the Paua just sounds correct, it's not coloring anything the way the Black would (though I still love the Black), everything just sounds so real you could reach out a grab it. Very very cool.
I’ve only heard a couple Soundsmith carts, and they’ve impressed me. Haven’t heard one that far up the line though. Glad to hear it’s been paying off!

Are you shroomin?
😂 it sounds silly, but I’ve heard systems that absolutely feel like that. I truly believe that extremely well executed 2 channel will rival or surpass surround sound. It goes well beyond the equipment though. To really create the encompassing sound from 2 channel it honestly requires a fantastic set up, so the phasing of the sound can time correctly to create a 3D experience.

I’ve always been tempted by a pure Rega vinyl front end (cart/TT/phono) but I’ve never experienced it. Not even at a dealer ironically.

I’ve only heard a couple Soundsmith carts, and they’ve impressed me. Haven’t heard one that far up the line though. Glad to hear it’s been paying off!

😂 it sounds silly, but I’ve heard systems that absolutely feel like that. I truly believe that extremely well executed 2 channel will rival or surpass surround sound. It goes well beyond the equipment though. To really create the encompassing sound from 2 channel it honestly requires a fantastic set up, so the phasing of the sound can time correctly to create a 3D experience.
Oh for sure, on the best pressings I get audio that comes from above and behind me. I don't know how many times I've thought my wife was calling to me from the other room or downstairs only to find out it's a part of the song.

Considering a Grado Reference Master 1 woodie with unknown hours. Seller asking 495€ shipped to the US. Currently running an Opus3 with thoughts of eventually upgrading to a Sonata3. Would the high output of the reference still be an upgrade from the current Sonata3? Is this a fair price considering the lack of knowledge on stylus hours? Seller deals with carts/retooling and claims it should have plenty of life left and it appears to be in nice shape. Any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated.

Considering a Grado Reference Master 1 woodie with unknown hours. Seller asking 495€ shipped to the US. Currently running an Opus3 with thoughts of eventually upgrading to a Sonata3. Would the high output of the reference still be an upgrade from the current Sonata3? Is this a fair price considering the lack of knowledge on stylus hours? Seller deals with carts/retooling and claims it should have plenty of life left and it appears to be in nice shape. Any thoughts/opinions would be appreciated.
I paid $525 for a Reference3 with 270 documented hours FWIW.

I’m not a fan of the 1 series. The 2 series and newer sound and track better.

Back