Phono Cartridges - Your favorites and least favorites?

Yeah. They’re basically unpackaged. The eBay listing noted this, but I did not heed its warning.
Ah, didnt see that disclaimer. It'll save me crawling around the floor thinking I lost them. (I got the elliptical version). Also, I've got my SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC packed and approved for retipping. Let's see - Forgotten screws with our impulse SME cartridge orders and a Zephyr retip. What's up next on our cartridge journey @kvetcha ?

Ah, didnt see that disclaimer. It'll save me crawling around the floor thinking I lost them. (I got the elliptical version). Also, I've got my SoundSmith Zephyr MIMC packed and approved for retipping. Let's see - Forgotten screws with our impulse SME cartridge orders and a Zephyr retip. What's up next on our cartridge journey @kvetcha ?
TWINS!
Are there favored devices for measuring tracking weight?
I use a Riverstone tracking force gauge, zero complaints.

Can anyone comment on the sound profile (?) characteristics of the Soundsmith Otello and the Grado Opus3 (Is there a difference between low and high output versions)? I appreciate the experience of folks here and the honest feedback.

My criteria is $300-400, made in USA so I am open to what other options might be available. Thanks.
@AnthonyI is the right person for this question as he owns both.

Anything I should know about mounting this thing? I’ve ordered a generic cartridge mounting kit from Amazon.

It’s gonna be a bitch with a fixed headshell.

Make a circle out of blue painters tape. Stick it to your finger and stick the nut to it. Line up the nut and then drop the screw down from the top.

Can anyone comment on the sound profile (?) characteristics of the Soundsmith Otello and the Grado Opus3 (Is there a difference between low and high output versions)? I appreciate the experience of folks here and the honest feedback.

My criteria is $300-400, made in USA so I am open to what other options might be available. Thanks.
I'll give you this for starters - Otello

I still own and use my Opus3, that says a lot based on the carts that have come and gone from my turntables. In my opinion it's the best all around bang for your buck with little to no compromise when compared to much more expensive cartridges. I've cycled through a lot of cartridges and I'm currently running my Opus while my Otello is on loan to @HiFi Guy, and while I truly enjoy my Opus, I can't wait to get the Otello back.

It has a very balanced sound, natural, nice bass, dynamics and detail, I don't find it lacking anything and I still feel the description given to me is accurate, it's Grado on steroids. That said, we all have different preferences, systems and budgets. All I know is the Otello doesn't leave me wanting, which says a lot.

I don't think you'd be disappointed with either, I'd whole heartedly recommend the Otello, but that's also because I've been able to hear both on a regular basis. Hope some of this helps your decision making.

Last edited:
ive sleept on this i guess. the Eliptical is still available. if i figure out the shipping. is this still a good option ? technics sl 1210mk2 and musical fidelity mx-vynl
It’s still a very good option. The elliptical is supposed to be warmer sounding. I picked the line contact for longer stylus life and improved tracking,

@Joe Mac has a way of getting things shipped there. I’d check with him.

It’s gonna be a bitch with a fixed headshell.

Make a circle out of blue painters tape. Stick it to your finger and stick the nut to it. Line up the nut and then drop the screw down from the top.
Thanks for the tip! I probably won’t have an opportunity to mount it until Tuesday, but I will report back.

Thanks for the tip! I probably won’t have an opportunity to mount it until Tuesday, but I will report back.
Actually you could put the first screw in an empty headshell, fit the nut, then slide the cartridge in place and tighten. That way you’d only have to struggle with one screw and nut. I’ve always found the side closest to the platter to be more difficult, so that’s the side I’d slide in place.

Actually you could put the first screw in an empty headshell, fit the nut, then slide the cartridge in place and tighten. That way you’d only have to struggle with one screw and nut. I’ve always found the side closest to the platter to be more difficult, so that’s the side I’d slide in place.

Yeah I always found with the Grados that if I did the one nearest the platter upside down I could do the other one pretty easily the right way around and then go back and change it around.

Back