Phono Cartridges - Your favorites and least favorites?

I've been really boring with carts recently — in fact today I took delivery of another AT-VM95ML. I got the whole cart this time and mounted it up just to switch it up. This is my 6th-ish stylus for this cart in the last 4-ish years, I find they last around 700hr at which point they start to lose some magic, and eventually have a sharp degradation in tracking. Those 700hrs used to take me over a year to rack up, but working from home I blew through my last stylus in 7 months 🙃.

That's one reason I'm sticking with the VM95ML as a daily driver, the upkeep is $150/~700-800hrs, a lot easier to swallow than most other decent carts. This allows me to play my collection for hours a day without stressing about the cost. The other is just that it sounds plain "right" to me, perhaps this is after years of using it, but I find it to be very neutral. Running it in today, I played Spectral Wound (black metal), Joe Henderson and Roxy Music without the cart feeling like it imparted much of a tone. I think everything "wrong" with this cart is of the pleasing euphonic variety, not the usual grit or harshness cheaper carts present. The cart's sound has really "scaled" well as I've upgraded turntable, speakers, phono stage, amps and headshells.

It's not glamours but it looks nicer on AT's new series of headshells.

IMG_5421.png

I've been really boring with carts recently — in fact today I took delivery of another AT-VM95ML. I got the whole cart this time and mounted it up just to switch it up. This is my 6th-ish stylus for this cart in the last 4-ish years, I find they last around 700hr at which point they start to lose some magic, and eventually have a sharp degradation in tracking. Those 700hrs used to take me over a year to rack up, but working from home I blew through my last stylus in 7 months 🙃.

That's one reason I'm sticking with the VM95ML as a daily driver, the upkeep is $150/~700-800hrs, a lot easier to swallow than most other decent carts. This allows me to play my collection for hours a day without stressing about the cost. The other is just that it sounds plain "right" to me, perhaps this is after years of using it, but I find it to be very neutral. Running it in today, I played Spectral Wound (black metal), Joe Henderson and Roxy Music without the cart feeling like it imparted much of a tone. I think everything "wrong" with this cart is of the pleasing euphonic variety, not the usual grit or harshness cheaper carts present. The cart's sound has really "scaled" well as I've upgraded turntable, speakers, phono stage, amps and headshells.

It's not glamours but it looks nicer on AT's new series of headshells.

View attachment 150953
Looks good. Set up device used?

Looks good. Set up device used?

Targeting Technics alignment with a 52mm distance from stylus point to washer, so I use the OEM plastic gauge and a #11 xacto blade as a straight edge against it. It may be hard to tell from the photos but the AT-LH11H has two sets of fixed holes instead of traditional slots. This locks the cart into the 90° position required for Technics alignment, then a set screw is loosened on the back assembly to set overhang, and another screw allows for a few degrees of azimuth adjustability. Very quick work with this system with great results.

Targeting Technics alignment with a 52mm distance from stylus point to washer, so I use the OEM plastic gauge and a #11 xacto blade as a straight edge against it. It may be hard to tell from the photos but the AT-LH11H has two sets of fixed holes instead of traditional slots. This locks the cart into the 90° position required for Technics alignment, then a set screw is loosened on the back assembly to set overhang, and another screw allows for a few degrees of azimuth adjustability. Very quick work with this system with great results.
I just noticed Technics left that overhang gauge out of my box. I'll have to use a protractor instead.

I just noticed Technics left that overhang gauge out of my box. I'll have to use a protractor instead.

On the G? That’s surprising. Maybe they can send you one since they stock the part on the Panny website, I think it’s around $15. Of course a protractor set to the same parameters will do the same thing.

On the G? That’s surprising. Maybe they can send you one since they stock the part on the Panny website, I think it’s around $15. Of course a protractor set to the same parameters will do the same thing.
I bought a scratch and dent so someone didn't get it back in the box I'm sure.
My cart has taken longer than expected so I don't think I can stand around any longer waiting on the gauge.

Alright, was able to cash in on a little discount, I'm hoping the run with this will at least finalize my direction. Not knowing where this might fall was hard to pass on, it's not super expensive, the long term cost is unbeatable and from what I've been told by reps, it's a better sounding Grado. Meaning it keeps it's warmth, but amps up the rest of the sound, dynamics and timber.

Should be here Tuesday, looking forward to it. Hoping to hammer down an end game cart tandem by mid 2023.
View attachment 150869
Also interested. HiFi Guy pointed me to this as a candidate for a SOTA Escape, Origin Live Silver combination. Pricepoint $300-400.

Whilst looking for a new cartridge I’m unable to gauge how much the stylus profile is going to effect the sound especially on older records that aren’t pressed well. My only experience is with a Grado Blue and AT vm95ml. The AT is more enjoyable overall and seems to be quieter and more forgiving.

Whilst looking for a new cartridge I’m unable to gauge how much the stylus profile is going to effect the sound especially on older records that aren’t pressed well. My only experience is with a Grado Blue and AT vm95ml. The AT is more enjoyable overall and seems to be quieter and more forgiving.
The A/T is a better tracker due to the MicroLine stylus vs. Grado’s elliptical.

@Dylanfan253 It could be. There’s a whole lot of value in the A/T cartridge line and the OC9 series certainly qualifies for that.

Understand though that although the A/T will be a good match with your Vincent, it won’t allow you to hear the full extent of the upgrade.

It’ll still sound really good though, I had an A/T MC when I had my Pioneer and Vincent. It sounded great. I have seen reports of some having hum with MCs and the Pioneer, but I didn’t nor did I see any pattern to the reports.

Back