Phono Cartridges - Your favorites and least favorites?

Back in the day, a dime on the head shell was a good starting point for fuzzy sound from the speakers. If that didn’t work then a nickel was the next option, and so on. No, really! 😜

The brass ones sound best. No, really!
Because I don't understand these things. I will need mounting screws when I change carts, will the weight of these things mess up the effective arm mass calculations thingie between the Paua and the VPI Classic Gimbal?

Because I don't understand these things. I will need mounting screws when I change carts, will the weight of these things mess up the effective arm mass calculations thingie between the Paua and the VPI Classic Gimbal?

They add a fair chunk of weight on the headshell so you will have to counter that with the counterweight.

Not being silly for a sec the answer to that would have to be yes, you’d have to account for the extra weight on the end of the tonearm in the calculation. It would seem to make most sense to add it to the cartridge weight.

Equally I honestly don’t look at it when picking carts and haven’t had any ill effects thus far, touch wood.

Yeah I'll ask, good call.

This compliance calculator would suggest you should account for it.

If you want to stick in the values to trial the weights of a pair of the soundsmith screws are:

Nylon screws 1.04g

Aluminum screws 2.06g

Stainless screws 6.30g

Brass screws 6.14g

My preference is the stainless ones.

Last edited:
This compliance calculator would suggest you should account for it.

If you want to stick in the values to trial the weights of a pair of the soundsmith screws are:

Nylon screws 1.04g

Aluminum screws 2.06g

Stainless screws 6.30g

Brass screws 6.14g

My preference is the stainless ones.
I can't find the compliance number anywhere, hence why I hate this stuff. Also fuck math man...

Screenshot_20231010_185016_Chrome.jpg
There, proper numbers. Bit more headroom, looks to be all good but funny that I actually want the heavier mounting screws. Would not have guessed that.

Back