Philadelphia

Form is my favorite in the city but unfortunately they only open on Thursdays, but they might announce an opening this weekend on their IG.

Spring Garden St has all of Yards, Love City, Roy Pitz, and a new opening in Triple Bottom all right next to each other. Roy Pitz being the most sour focused of those. Monks is one of the best beer bars in the country. There's usually Pliny on tap a few places if you haven't crossed that off your list yet.
I've yet to experience a Pliny, so I would love to cross that off the list! Will certainly make a stop at Roy and Yards is right next to me so I'm sure I'll be stopping there!

Thanks for the good recs!!

I’m running my first record & stuff show in July. About 30-40 dealer tables. Some still available to vend.

A great live DJ pal will spin soul & other cool 45s. Live improv keyboard/guitar by another friend. I might spin a set, too.
View attachment 101960
I'm in the city proper now but I went to school in the Lehigh Valley so I'll try to make this. I'm craving some Yocco's!

Vinyl Nation playing at SouthSide Film Festival in Bethlehem, PA 6/20

SSFF 2021 Closing Night Film!
SATURDAY, June 19, 2021, 7:20 to 9pm, ONE SCREENING ONLY!
VENUE: Charter Arts | 321 E. Third St.

Vinyl Nation | Documentary Feature | Single showing Directors: Kevin Smokler, Christopher Boone • 2020 | USA | 92m A deep dig into the crates of the vinyl record resurgence to discover what an old technology says about our relationship to music and each other in a divided time in America.

Last edited:
My old buddy Jon Valania passed suddenly on Saturday, 9/11. He was 55. Some of you might know him from his writing in Magnet, or other publications, or his blog/website Phawker, or possibly even as the lead singer & songwriter in The Psyclone Rangers (Allentown & Philadelphia based garage rock band). We hadn't spoken in a while, but we were always on good terms. I got thanked (among dozens of others) on their first CD).

Here's a piece he wrote about Wilco.

Obit in the Philly Inquirer:

Ironic early song called Why The Hell Did I Die?

888E5648-BC16-43AB-9B20-025FAB937DBA.jpeg

4BD21864-6C4D-4F6E-956E-D7C72E6266CA.jpeg043D54DD-E0DD-461E-BB4B-F44AA4BCF68A.jpeg

Last edited:

Cool video profile of my favorite record shop. I don’t shop at the hi-fi place because it’s way above my budget.

Setting up to vend today. Fun space with good food and beer. Just outside Philly 9FA819C8-2957-442C-96D7-F1F015DCEA38.jpeg

I'm moving back east from the pnw and trying to figure out what city to live in. The DMV is a possibility but so is Philly. @sahomerrocks are you still in fishtown? That's like one of the only neighborhoods I've seen mentioned online as a possible place to look.

I'm 30 and single. Safety is obviously the most important especially since I will be traveling for work often. But beyond that I want to find a large 1BR or 2br so I have space for my records, has parking, and has some sort of package holding. Beyond that I like being able to walk places but I know that can cause things to get pricey fast.

I'm moving back east from the pnw and trying to figure out what city to live in. The DMV is a possibility but so is Philly. @sahomerrocks are you still in fishtown? That's like one of the only neighborhoods I've seen mentioned online as a possible place to look.

I'm 30 and single. Safety is obviously the most important especially since I will be traveling for work often. But beyond that I want to find a large 1BR or 2br so I have space for my records, has parking, and has some sort of package holding. Beyond that I like being able to walk places but I know that can cause things to get pricey fast.
In 2020 I moved to Queen Village, a neighborhood a little closer to Center City. I really enjoyed living in Fishtown. Philly is more full of old row homes than even other East Coast cities but Fishtown has been massively developed in recent years and is more likely to have those amenities. I did live in a building with a package room and an uncovered parking spot while I was there and there are more massive apartment building now than when I moved. Fishtown itself is extremely walkable and self contained but also a quick subway ride away from Center City, but real estate agents have stretched what the neighborhood lines are so confirm before you commit. I never feel or felt unsafe but Philadelphia is a large city with all big city problems.

I've spent a lot of time in the DMV and they really are similar but your money will likely go further here. One small thing to consider if you're traveling a lot is PHL is an American Airlines hub and my work trips have been slightly less pleasant than I was regularly flying United out of EWR.

In 2020 I moved to Queen Village, a neighborhood a little closer to Center City. I really enjoyed living in Fishtown. Philly is more full of old row homes than even other East Coast cities but Fishtown has been massively developed in recent years and is more likely to have those amenities. I did live in a building with a package room and an uncovered parking spot while I was there and there are more massive apartment building now than when I moved. Fishtown itself is extremely walkable and self contained but also a quick subway ride away from Center City, but real estate agents have stretched what the neighborhood lines are so confirm before you commit. I never feel or felt unsafe but Philadelphia is a large city with all big city problems.

I've spent a lot of time in the DMV and they really are similar but your money will likely go further here. One small thing to consider if you're traveling a lot is PHL is an American Airlines hub and my work trips have been slightly less pleasant than I was regularly flying United out of EWR.

Thanks! Yeah seems like center city and fishtown are the two neighborhoods to look. I travel a lot but it's usually by car

I’m from Delaware and used to take violin lessons from an 80 year old Jewish lady in Arden (Mrs. Frankel). She used to threaten to tape needles to my wrist so I didn’t collapse my wrist when I played. She lived in Arden. Also I never knew about this concert venue.

Arden Gild Hall in Delaware

Anyone in Philly area want to see Explosions in the Sky tonight at Franklin Music Hall for free. I got two tix before Slowdive decided to play a show at UT on the same night, and I can't miss Slowdive. Dm me and I can transfer them to you.

Well, unexpected bad news - my favorite local shop is closing after 27 years. No idea why yet. Allentown PA, get there if you can!

IMG_2477.jpeg

Back