Philadelphia

blenoxsmith

I moved south of Philly about 5 and half years ago, and I often end up exploring the city through going to shows. Figured I'd start this Philly thread by listing my favorite venues to see shows. I mainly seek out shows at medium/small venues due to affordability and intimacy of the show, so my list is skewed that direction.

1) Johnny Brenda's
2) PhilaMoca
3) Everybody Hits
4) Underground Arts
5) Union Transfer
6) Theatre of Living Arts
7) The Foundry

Disclaimer: I haven't been to The Met or World Cafe yet.

Outside of Philly, if there is ever a show at the Arden Gild Hall in Delaware, I always go, that place is unique.

I grew up in Delco and after spending the last 8+ years in Northern NJ, I moved to Fishtown about 3 months ago. I would do about a 60/40 split between NYC and Philly before (F U NJ Transit), but now I love being able to pick a random show on a night my wife is having a Vanderpump Rules watch party.

The only negative is feeling my accent slowly creep back.

What up Philly guys. I grew up in Bucks, want to school at Temple, lived in Glenside and now I'm out in the sticks of Doylestown.

I miss living in the city. Philly is such an underrated place, especially for music.

Ayyyyyeee. I worked at the County Theater for years.

Oh awesome. It's funny, we used to go to the Ambler a lot when we were in Glenside, but now that we have a 1.5yo and another on the way, we don't get out too much. So we haven't even been to the county yet, lol. Only been here a year so hopefully that changes.

The First Unitarian Church is a great place to see a show

It looks like they still have shows.

I saw the Eeels there ca. 2008-09 on the Blinking Lights tour. One of the best shows I've been to.

ps. I haven't lived in Philly since 2011 but I miss it constantly

Hell yeah! Forgot to list that in my initial post.

A Titus Andronicus show was just announced there for late November. I'm also thinking of seeing Black Midi there as well. I've liked what I've heard from them so far, and the youtubes has shown me that their drummer is super talented.

Oh awesome. It's funny, we used to go to the Ambler a lot when we were in Glenside, but now that we have a 1.5yo and another on the way, we don't get out too much. So we haven't even been to the county yet, lol. Only been here a year so hopefully that changes.

Oh man. I helped reopen the Ambler Theater back in 2003ish. It was pretty awesome to see the transformation from neglected shithole theater to what it is now. I also worked at the Bryn Mawr Film Institute and the Hiway Theater.

Oh man. I helped reopen the Ambler Theater back in 2003ish. It was pretty awesome to see the transformation from neglected shithole theater to what it is now. I also worked at the Bryn Mawr Film Institute and the Hiway Theater.

So you've basically worked the circuit of indie/historical bucks county movie theaters. I didn't know what the Ambler was before what it is now, we only lived in Glenside from like 2014-2017ish. All of Ambler looks like it's slowly getting "nicer" or whatever. We thought about moving there but there just weren't any houses available at the time we were looking, so we ended up in Doylestown.

So you've basically worked the circuit of indie/historical bucks county movie theaters. I didn't know what the Ambler was before what it is now, we only lived in Glenside from like 2014-2017ish. All of Ambler looks like it's slowly getting "nicer" or whatever. We thought about moving there but there just weren't any houses available at the time we were looking, so we ended up in Doylestown.

Yeah, I started off working at Regal Cinemas in the late 90s then moved over to independent movie theaters after that as a manager & projectionist. The Ambler used to be a single screen theater & stage back in the late 20s until maybe the late 70s(?). It sat closed for a couple decades. The company I used to work for purchased and renovated it from one theater to the three screens it has now.
It was awesome work. I used to grab drinks with Anthony Green (of Circa Survive & Saosin) back in the day at Finney's in Dtown. He plays at Siren Records pretty frequently.

Brewerytown beats is a cool store.
I found the prices to be a little on the high side. I only shopped there one time though.

Sit and Spin is small but good for punk and other rock. Good prices.

Borderline is run by an odd drunk, worth a dig if you’re nearby.

Philadelphia Record Exchange is supposed to still be good, haven’t been there in years so I can’t vouch.

Do you have The Vinyl District app?

Brewerytown beats is a cool store.
I found the prices to be a little on the high side. I only shopped there one time though.

Sit and Spin is small but good for punk and other rock. Good prices.

Borderline is run by an odd drunk, worth a dig if you’re nearby.

Philadelphia Record Exchange is supposed to still be good, haven’t been there in years so I can’t vouch.

Do you have The Vinyl District app?

I don't have that app, but will be downloading it shortly!

@blissfullychaotic if you need recs on food, drinks, breweries, activities in Philly let me know. And if you find your way to Fishtown I'll buy you a beer.

I should check them out, thanks

Just found out Wild Mutation is closing at the end of the year :(:(:(:(. They might open in a different location at a later date but I'm still super bummed.

@blissfullychaotic if you need recs on food, drinks, breweries, activities in Philly let me know. And if you find your way to Fishtown I'll buy you a beer.

Just found out Wild Mutation is closing at the end of the year :(:(:(:(. They might open in a different location at a later date but I'm still super bummed.
Got into town last night and had to checkout Chinatown, and my god I felt like I was in heaven.

I only know fermentation form so if you have any other recommendations I'd love to hear them!

Looks like I'm staying a mile away from fishtown, so wandering over there seems highly likely 🎉

Form is my favorite in the city but unfortunately they only open on Thursdays, but they might announce an opening this weekend on their IG.

Spring Garden St has all of Yards, Love City, Roy Pitz, and a new opening in Triple Bottom all right next to each other. Roy Pitz being the most sour focused of those. Monks is one of the best beer bars in the country. There's usually Pliny on tap a few places if you haven't crossed that off your list yet.

Back