Party up moodge, it’s the June 2023 Vinyl Challenge!!

Day 1
Arnold Corns - This “band” was created by David to try out some early Ziggy material in 1971 with designer Freddie Burretti as “vocalist” (David is actually singing), going so far as to release a single of Moonage Daydream b/w Lady Stardust.
Play something fake

Gorillaz - Cracker Island

Despite seeming like a one-off novelty act, this "fake" cartoon band keeps on kicking.

20230603_151440.jpg

Day 3
Bowie or Jones - David never changed his last name, David Bowie was strictly a stage name.
Play something by a person who goes by a stage name or pseudonym

Charles Michael Kittridge Thompson IV aka Frank Black aka Black Francis

Frank Black and The Catholics - Show Me Your Tears

IMG_5154.jpeg

Day 4
Crystal Japan - this instrumental track was originally used in a Japanese commercial in 1980
Play a song used in a commercial

Nick Drake - Pink Moon
Song: “Pink Moon”

IMG_5882.jpeg

In 2000 I was working at this new place and during their grand opening week they had a bunch of musicians play. Damien Jurado was one of them and he played a cover of “Pink Moon,” sounding near-exact to the original. Afterwards I went and talked with him, me not yet having heard of Nick Drake and I told him I loved his song from that Volkswagen commercial. Class act that he is, he took the time to educate me a bit about Nick Drake and gave me some other artist recommendations.

Day 4
Crystal Japan - this instrumental track was originally used in a Japanese commercial in 1980
Play a song used in a commercial

Nick Drake - Pink Moon
Song: “Pink Moon”

View attachment 174399

In 2000 I was working at this new place and during their grand opening week they had a bunch of musicians play. Damien Jurado was one of them and he played a cover of “Pink Moon,” sounding near-exact to the original. Afterwards I went and talked with him, me not yet having heard of Nick Drake and I told him I loved his song from that Volkswagen commercial. Class act that he is, he took the time to educate me a bit about Nick Drake and gave me some other artist recommendations.

Almost played this one!

Day 4
Play a song used in a commercial.

David Bowie - Sound + Vision b/w Sound +Vision (2013). Part of the 40th Anniversary 7 in series that they stopped a few years back due to the COVID backlog.

Sound +Vision (2013) was used in a Sony Xperia commercial in 2013. I love this remix, which is really just the song stripped back to vocals and piano. Absolutely smashing, and only available on this stupid picture disc or a promo cd
IMG_1635.jpg

Day 1
Arnold Corns - This “band” was created by David to try out some early Ziggy material in 1971 with designer Freddie Burretti as “vocalist” (David is actually singing), going so far as to release a single of Moonage Daydream b/w Lady Stardust.
Play something fake
1000004124.jpg
Nino Nardini & The Pop Riviera Group " No. 7 Pop, Soul et Rock Psychadelique" Rotonde Musique 1971...
I was trying to figure out what funk album I was going to play for this prompt and I knew Desco wouldn't let me down! Nino Nardini was a real person, he had passed away before this album was made and has nothing to do with this album! Wasn't recorded in 1971 it was recorded in 1997 by members of The Soul Investigators, Antibalas, The Daktaris and probably a bunch of like minded people that would eventually form real bands and record for labels like Daptone, Truth and Soul and Soul Fire records! They made up the story of a lost funk album because they figured people wouldn't want to hear contemporary funk music, they were wrong! Most of Descos output was made up bands and it's all fantastic!

Back