Party up moodge, it’s the June 2023 Vinyl Challenge!!

Day 1
Arnold Corns - This “band” was created by David to try out some early Ziggy material in 1971 with designer Freddie Burretti as “vocalist” (David is actually singing), going so far as to release a single of Moonage Daydream b/w Lady Stardust.
Play something fake

U2 - Achtung Baby

IMG_5871.jpeg

In support of this record, U2 held their Zoo TV Tour, during which Bono created various characters as maybe an attempt at comedy. This character was named “Macphisto”:

1685660786716.jpeg

Day 1
Arnold Corns - This “band” was created by David to try out some early Ziggy material in 1971 with designer Freddie Burretti as “vocalist” (David is actually singing), going so far as to release a single of Moonage Daydream b/w Lady Stardust.
Play something fake

U2 - Achtung Baby

View attachment 174125

In support of this record, U2 held their Zoo TV Tour, during which Bono created various characters as maybe an attempt at comedy. This character was named “Macphisto”:

View attachment 174126
Achtung Baby is my all time fave album. I'm so sad that I don't *think* I can see any of their Vegas residency. Still annoyed about no Larry, but I get vertigo / dizziness / nausea on widescreen / IMAX/ or 270º (or whatever it is screens. Have had this issue since I was a kid and almost passed out at Disneyworld at one of those 360º shows. U2:3D made me nauseous - 3D is nearly impossible for me to watch, I had to sit very still with my head back against the seat through that film.

I really want to see it, but cannot justify spending all that money and having to leave 5 mins in to the show. Once I learn more about the production, see some vids (unless B-Man requires YONDR bags again) maybe it will work, but I am not holding out much hope. :(

Day 1
Play something fake

Jazz Sabbath - So fake, so fun
IMG_4207.JPGIMG_4208.jpg

Day 1
Play something fake

Refused – The Shape Of Punk To Come (A Chimerical Bombination In 12 Bursts)
20230601_190924.jpg

"The Apollo Programme Was A Hoax"

My friend found this copy in the bargain bin the other day and gifted it to me this morning! The sleeve is definitely water damaged but the record itself is VG+ or better - this may be one of his best scores yet. And it closes with a song that works for today's prompt!

Day 2 - Play a hit

4E60CC46-E32E-4320-B1D8-8501025B3C9E.jpeg

Michael Jackson - Thriller

Bowie and MJ and a little battle for number 1 (beat it was number 1 and let’s dance number 2, they then switched places the next week). They would also battle again for AOTY at that year’s Grammy

Day 02: Play a “hit”

Dramarama - Cinéma Vérité
IMG_3389.jpeg
I took the quotes around “hit” to suggest that all hits are relative. Did Dramarama ever top the Billboard charts? No. But they did manage to score some underground cred, heavy KROQ airplay and even some national attention via MTV’s 120 minutes with their single “Anything, Anything (I’ll Give You). In fact that is where I first heard the track, probably not even a decade ago I was watching some old episodes of 120 Minutes on YouTube and the video came on. It was an instant ear worm that bounced around in my head for days.

Day 02: Play a “hit”

Dramarama - Cinéma Vérité
View attachment 174257
I took the quotes around “hit” to suggest that all hits are relative. Did Dramarama ever top the Billboard charts? No. But they did manage to score some underground cred, heavy KROQ airplay and even some national attention via MTV’s 120 minutes with their single “Anything, Anything (I’ll Give You). In fact that is where I first heard the track, probably not even a decade ago I was watching some old episodes of 120 Minutes on YouTube and the video came on. It was an instant ear worm that bounced around in my head for days.

We used to book them at the bar I worked at in college (in the late 80's). Such a great live band at the time. Excellent choice!

Day 2
David only had 2 #1 songs in the US (5 in the UK), Fame and Let’s Dance.
Play a “hit”

Sonic Youth – Hits Are For Squares
20230602_104741.jpg

...another one of my buddy's sweet bargain bin scores - I saw it with his "new in" pile and mentioned I've been meaning to dig deeper into Sonic Youth to which he immediately said I should borrow this - their "hits" curated by friends and fans, plus one new song.

While I generally prefer to explore artists by album this is pretty cool and timed out perfectly for today!
(Based on the first disc, I feel like Dirty may be my next stop)

Back