Online Vinyl Deals

I remember high school in the 90s and I knew friends that were appalled at how much “old” music I listened to. Beatles was acceptable, as well as some other well regarded classic rock artists, but to intentionally put on the 50s/60s radio station? That was not so common for kids my age. Music people, yes... average listeners, no.
i'm also a '90s kid in general from my perspective majority of kids/teens were really into music way more then nowadays.as '90s kids/teens music as far back as the '60s we loved the psych pop/rock and couldn't get enough of the music from the '70s & '80s only thing i remember we showed a great disdain for was '80s hair/glam metal till this day can't stand that stuff.if your adult in my area where i live in the deep south and a "music nerd" it's kinda of looked down on as something you didn't "grow out of" which is highly ignorant.

i know this can be applied to about most generations but like mentioned this seems like a popular hive mentality with gen z.with past generations as a whole we didn't write of past generations music of as a whole even if we didn't like it we respected and acknowledged our "new cool music" wouldn't be possible if not for music of past generations and we also held a high respect for the pioneers.this is the difference i see with the younger people of today and young people of generations of the past.

It's a hive mentality to believe any of this, revise history, and speak about what the "younger people" of today are doing. You can rephrase this as many times as you want, but it's not accurate. The fact that Vinyl Me Please can even stay in business and that there is a vinyl resurgence at all should tell you that. Shit, vaporwave exists, for crissakes.

The irony is that these statements are so cliche in themselves. Or maybe that's not irony; it's the exact point.

I feel like it's just too much of an unfair generalization. My nostaliga doesn't change the fact that the people around me were just teens trying to be trendy. Kids today are buying Nirvana and NIN shirts and listening to RHCP and Foo Fighters. In the 90s, some kids bought Hendrix, Pink Floyd, and Doors shirts. The time difference is the same. But, for the most part, they were listening to whatever was current for their time, which you think that people of today should care about. They care about finding their own shit. If no one did that in the 90s, there'd be nothing to wag a finger at the new kids for not "appreciating" now.

Last edited:
I remember high school in the 90s and I knew friends that were appalled at how much “old” music I listened to. Beatles was acceptable, as well as some other well regarded classic rock artists, but to intentionally put on the 50s/60s radio station? That was not so common for kids my age. Music people, yes... average listeners, no.

I used to play big band music in the dark room and people would lose their shit, because it wasn't Sublime.

It's a hive mentality to believe any of this, revise history, and speak about what the "younger people" of today are doing. You can rephrase this as many times as you want, but it's not accurate. The fact that Vinyl Me Please can even stay in business and that there is a vinyl resurgence at all should tell you that. Shit, vaporwave exists, for crissakes.

The irony is that these statements are so cliche in themselves. Or maybe that's not irony; it's the exact point.

I feel like it's just too much of an unfair generalization. My nostaliga doesn't change the fact that the people around me were just teens trying to be trendy. Kids today are buying Nirvana and NIN shirts and listening to RHCP and Foo Fighters. In the 90s, some kids bought Hendrix, Pink Floyd, and Doors shirts. The time difference is the same. But, for the most part, they were listening to whatever was current for their time, which you think that people of today should care about. They care about finding their own shit. If no one did that in the 90s, there'd be nothing to wag a finger at the new kids for not "appreciating" now.
I have two boys, Tyler is 13, Ryan is 9. My wife and I are both big music fans, and have always listened to many different genres of music. My kids also both play guitar, and they also like different genres of music, but their favorite is metal. For both, their favorite band is Metallica, yet they also listen to Prince, Bowie, RATM, Beastie Boys, Rush, and The Beatles. They both also like more current bands, like Deafheaven (Ryan also likes Imagine Dragons, but he is 9 😂). The other day, I heard Tyler playing Sunshine of Your Love on his guitar, and I don’t even really like Cream.

I don’t know what my point is, other than that I have cool kids.

I have two boys, Tyler is 13, Ryan is 9. My wife and I are both big music fans, and have always listened to many different genres of music. My kids also both play guitar, and they also like different genres of music, but their favorite is metal. For both, their favorite band is Metallica, yet they also listen to Prince, Bowie, RATM, Beastie Boys, Rush, and The Beatles. They both also like more current bands, like Deafheaven (Ryan also likes Imagine Dragons, but he is 9 😂). The other day, I heard Tyler playing Sunshine of Your Love on his guitar, and I don’t even really like Cream.

Love it! You definitely have cool kids. I, too, raised my son with music being a constant. He now has a musical daughter...sings, dances, plays the trumpet, etc...my son likes to retell a story about when she was 7 years old, traveling in the car with her mother...Grandaughter: Mommy, can you turn on some music? Daughter-in-law: Sure, what do you want to listen to? Grandaughter: Do you have any Smashing Pumpkins or Cake? Now, her loves are Dawes, JD McPherson, and Tank and the Bangas. She once told me, after venturing into my music room and looking at some of my new records, "Pop-pop, you have so much art!" Ya gotta love it.

one things for sure you're raising kids with great taste in music for their age.

My wife and I exposed our two kids to a lot of different stuff musically as they grew up but ultimately we let 'em be themselves and get into whatever they wanted to get into. Consequently, their tastes have run the gamut over time.

Live music was encouraged. Our daughter's first concert was Spice Girls. Today you're likely to see her in a Ramones T-shirt and she's still saddened that Tom Petty's no longer here. Our son's first show was Gov't Mule. After that he figured out he's a natural and can play anything with strings. Now we're likely to hear him listening to reggae and then pick up a banjo and bust out a bluegrass tune, all within minutes of each other.

Hooray music.

I think it is different for the younger generations, just because there doesn’t seem to be any really new types of music to rebel with, everything these days seems to be a refinement of what happened before, rather than something completely new and alien to the older generations. There doesn’t seem to be a whole new underground type of music, like Mod, Disco, Metal, Hip Hop, punk, House, Techno, Grunge, etc.

In the past there has always been something new that the youth can use to rebel against older generation but it seemed to stop around 2000 with boy bands and the like and then the pop idol type stuff. I’m not saying there’s no good new music, there clearly is, and it’s probably just that I’m older and not down with the kids so have missed out on the youth culture scene’s this century. The closest I can think of to a really new scene, is the London Jazz scene.

I’d be really happy to be proved wrong on this one TBH

I think it is different for the younger generations, just because there doesn’t seem to be any really new types of music to rebel with, everything these days seems to be a refinement of what happened before, rather than something completely new and alien to the older generations. There doesn’t seem to be a whole new underground type of music, like Mod, Disco, Metal, Hip Hop, punk, House, Techno, Grunge, etc.

In the past there has always been something new that the youth can use to rebel against older generation but it seemed to stop around 2000 with boy bands and the like and then the pop idol type stuff. I’m not saying there’s no good new music, there clearly is, and it’s probably just that I’m older and not down with the kids so have missed out on the youth culture scene’s this century. The closest I can think of to a really new scene, is the London Jazz scene.

You say that everything is a refinement of what happened before and then mention the London Jazz scene as an exception? Nirvana was pulling from punk and the wipers, specifically. Grunge was heavily influenced by the B-side of Black Flag's My War LP. The Beatles and The Stones and Elvis were borrowing from Blues musicians and Little Richard. Punk is deconstructed stripped down rock. I feel as if you might be seeing differences that aren't there. If nothing equivalent has happened explain vaporwave or chiptune or dubstep or chill wave or witch house or Death Grips or Animal Collective, etc.

What hasn't changed is an older generation believing that the new generation has no ideas or originality or culture of value.

By the way, I was born in '79

My mom's husband actually asked me if I thought rap was here to stay just last year.

The generalization is the problem. If you're waiting on MSNBC or the evening news to report on the next "underground scene," it's officially on its last leg, by that point, anyway.

Last edited:
I completely get London Jazz is just a refinement, as I said, I’m struggling to think of any ground breaking scene at the minute. All the things you mention are refinements of existing stuff. I have no clue what chip tune or vapourware are, hopefully there something new that the youth can call it’s own. I also have no clue what MBNSC is either but my point is I can’t think of a revolutionary youth movement since the rave scene in the late 80’s early 90’s. Dup step is a direct descendant of that scene, not revolutionary at all. When all these things happened they encompass a broad range of music that fits an ethos, think the Mod scene, or early hip hop fir example, then as things progress the ethos and music begins to split into narrower scenes, like jungle, dubstep and grime.

All music is based in influences from other music going back to the oldest folk. That isn’t my point, my point was in part about revolutionary music scenes that then go on to influence us all. Just on observation triggered by the previous posts on rebellion. It’s got to be difficult for the youth today to truly rebel in music terms. Maybe because everyone has so much access to music these days everyone has become eclectic music consumers.

I think experimental hip hop from artists like Jpegmafia is the closest thing to what you’re talking about.

I think experimental hip hop from artists like Jpegmafia is the closest thing to what you’re talking about.
Music is finite due to the limited number of notes and instruments available. New trends in music generally come when there"s new instruments (acoustic to electric, advent of synths, then computers) but they're playing the same available notes, just sound different. So there was more profound change happening with instruments between 1950 and 2000 due to advances in technology and recording techniques. The other variables are how you mix instruments, notes and voices. At some point mathmatically, all the variables will have been performed. So when there are no more instrument advances and music generated by computers is maxed due to current limits in technology, growth and new trends in music will probably be much slower to occur between now and 2050 than say 1950 to 2010, thus giving the appearance that not much new is happening.

I completely get London Jazz is just a refinement, as I said, I’m struggling to think of any ground breaking scene at the minute. All the things you mention are refinements of existing stuff. I have no clue what chip tune or vapourware are, hopefully there something new that the youth can call it’s own. I also have no clue what MBNSC is either but my point is I can’t think of a revolutionary youth movement since the rave scene in the late 80’s early 90’s. Dup step is a direct descendant of that scene, not revolutionary at all. When all these things happened they encompass a broad range of music that fits an ethos, think the Mod scene, or early hip hop fir example, then as things progress the ethos and music begins to split into narrower scenes, like jungle, dubstep and grime.

All music is based in influences from other music going back to the oldest folk. That isn’t my point, my point was in part about revolutionary music scenes that then go on to influence us all. Just on observation triggered by the previous posts on rebellion. It’s got to be difficult for the youth today to truly rebel in music terms. Maybe because everyone has so much access to music these days everyone has become eclectic music consumers.

If people are complaining in here, then I'd imagine that they are "rebelling" just fine. Maybe our ideas of how to "rebel" are outdated anyway. And I still believe that you are drawing distinction based on incredibly arbitrary criteria that just make sense to you, because you aren't of their generation. Maybe what you felt was revolutionary, isn't so much. And that's the point. If your standards are that it influences "us all," then what you're really discussing is mass consumerism, not revolution. Is the existence of Bush and Silver Chair evidence that grunge mattered, or could it have been revolutionary without the knockoffs? Is the fact that Royal Trux got signed the pinnacle of it's relevance? Some people still believe Pavement begins and ends as a rip-off of The Fall. Are the Wipers or Dead Moon only relevant because other bands got famous biting their styles, or would they matter if nobody was still aware of them and they never got namechecked? Is Nick Drake relevent on his own without Elliot Smith being signed to Dreamworks?

I also find it interesting that 2, essentially conflicting, viewpoints are overlapping here, while, at points, trying to reinforce one another about the drastic differences in this generation. One is that kids today don't respect and appreciate music of the past, while all past generations did. The other, somehow, tries to explain that by saying it's because there is no new music, while giving examples of how past generations rebelled against the music that came before them. ???

The general public listens to popular music. That's why it's popular music. Individuals make their own ways and scenes. It's every generation. A lot of kids listened to the Beatles while their parents wished they gave a shit about the recording career of Lawrence Welk. To mention Grunge, it's important to understand that Sub Pop formed, because Bruce Pavitt noticed that small off the grid towns each formed their own unique scenes and believed that they should be given a voice and a way to connect to each other. That's still the case. He made a zine with mixtapes highlighting them and had a radio show. That's your underground scene. People don't need to wait for new music to rebel with, they can make it and always have. Memphis had their own rap scene/sound. Sure, everyone bites it now, but only certain people cared about it before that. If I mentioned any scene without a distinct brand, it sounds like it wouldn't meet your criteria yet, because the branding and distinct boxes are what validate it. Whether it's post-rock or post-punk or no-wave or grunge, the only unifying factor is the most superficial elements and those are usually defined by outsiders and media.

It's not the underground's job to deliver the mainstream a fully processed product with market research proving it's profitability, so that it can be brought to the outside world and validated. They'll steal it, water it down, and sell it, in good time -- as soon as it seems viable.

If it's real and "underground," at all, they don't give a fuck what anyone else thinks, let alone if we are aware of and validate it. That's rebellion enough. Nobody should care about Grandpa Simpson shaking his fist and, as the grandpas, we should probably be more self aware about the fact that our fists aren't any cooler or different than those that were shaking at us, in the past.

My son is 7. He loves Herbie Hancock, Royal Trux, Arthur Russell, James Chance, Hiroshi Yoshimura, Battles, J Mascis, DJ Shadow, Squarepusher, Serge Gainsbourg, and Kool Keith. He's writing songs about space devil birds. The youth is fine.

If it's real and "underground," at all, they don't give a fuck what anyone else thinks, let alone if we are aware of and validate it. That's rebellion enough. Nobody should care about Grandpa Simpson shaking his fist and, as the grandpas, we should probably be more self aware about the fact that our fists aren't any cooler or different than those that were shaking at us, in the past.
"Grandpa" Anthony approved ✊

;)

Music is finite due to the limited number of notes and instruments available. New trends in music generally come when there"s new instruments (acoustic to electric, advent of synths, then computers) but they're playing the same available notes, just sound different. So there was more profound change happening with instruments between 1950 and 2000 due to advances in technology and recording techniques. The other variables are how you mix instruments, notes and voices. At some point mathmatically, all the variables will have been performed. So when there are no more instrument advances and music generated by computers is maxed due to current limits in technology, growth and new trends in music will probably be much slower to occur between now and 2050 than say 1950 to 2010, thus giving the appearance that not much new is happening.

I think you are on to something here, technology plays a big part

Back