Oceanic Members.

Able to get out and explore a wee bit. Had a walk down and around Smith Street. Licorice Pie wasn't open, but got most of the rest. Don't think I'm going to struggle spending money on records, that's for sure. Also found the dealer that sells Lintons, so that's an added expense...
Nice to see you exploring. Smith street has a glut of of good record shops. Plug Seven, Happy Valley, The Searchers and Northside is just around the corner on Gertrude street. So many more in that area too. A man could go broke walking around there.

Who is stocking the Lintons? I’m still happy with my Tannoy 609’s but the those Wharfdales had tickled my pickle. I’d like to go hear them for myself.

Nice to see you exploring. Smith street has a glut of of good record shops. Plug Seven, Happy Valley, The Searchers and Northside is just around the corner on Gertrude street. So many more in that area too. A man could go broke walking around there.

Who is stocking the Lintons? I’m still happy with my Tannoy 609’s but the those Wharfdales had tickled my pickle. I’d like to go hear them for myself.
I hit up all of those shops, and a few others too. Plug Seven and Northside sell stuff I'm maybe not too familiar with, so I may have to blind buy from there.

See below for the shop. It's on Charles Street, but it looks like it's up on the first floor of a building, and the door was locked. I'll speak to them properly when I'm ready to buy. I'm between the Lintons and Neat Iota Alphas, and they are the only place I can find that sells both.

When my wife and I first met, her best friend insisted I become a Melbourne fan. 12 years of disappointment followed. I land in the country permanently and we win the minor premiership, and I now look like a glory hunter!!!

Squad, what’s the record cleaning fluid of choice here? Is there a local one, or is it just the Pro-jet cleaner stuff? I’m using a Pro-Jet RCM.

I’ve got a Squeaky Clean RCM and I’d been using Melody Mate until recently, Extra Strength version, which I’d found quite good. It’s locally made in Melbourne, have free shipping and the have 10% off at the moment.

I found this stuff on Facebook Marketplace which I’m using at the moment. Olys Crud Removing Vinyl Cleaner. It’s a pre-mix that I’ve mixed with distilled water. it’s works fine but haven’t cleaned too many with it so far I think I still have the messenger chat if you’re interested C0C3E611-1F52-4E01-99DF-36285078D734.jpeg

It’s Spin-clean for the Spin-clean around here

how does the Pro-ject perform?

View attachment 112157
Love the RCM, other than the fact it doesn't do 7" straight out the box. The fluid is good, but I think I preferred the Chisto stuff that the guys in the cleaning thread recommended. I haven't seen it for sale here, but I have the email of the owner, so might fire him an email to see.

I’ve got a Squeaky Clean RCM and I’d been using Melody Mate until recently, Extra Strength version, which I’d found quite good. It’s locally made in Melbourne, have free shipping and the have 10% off at the moment.

I found this stuff on Facebook Marketplace which I’m using at the moment. Olys Crud Removing Vinyl Cleaner. It’s a pre-mix that I’ve mixed with distilled water. it’s works fine but haven’t cleaned too many with it so far I think I still have the messenger chat if you’re interested View attachment 112164
Ooh, thanks! I'll check out the Melody Mate first and see how I go. Probably got a month before my records arrive, so there isn't a rush. If you think this other stuff is miles better in the interim let me know!

Go Demons!
I hope you enjoyed the match. I rank highly in the top percentile of people least likely to watch an AFL game and does my wife. Her family however have been Demons supporters forever so we did watch it last night. It was great to see them win after 57 years although that last quarter and a half was just embarrassing for the Bulldogs. I usually like a closer game than that. Hopefully they can replicate it next year back at the MCG and you can go.

Hey gang, new guy here, just read about this forum on the VinylMePlease subreddit today, thought I'd check it out and was thrilled to see an Oceanic section. I mainly buy my records online, but do love to support indie stores like Oh Jean, Happy Valley and Resist whenever possible. Occasionally check Discrepancy, but can't make sense of their prices.

I am guilty of having records arrive that I can't remember ordering, usually because my credit card number is saved on my computer and I like to online shop after a few drinks... I'm sure a few of you can relate!

Hey gang, new guy here, just read about this forum on the VinylMePlease subreddit today, thought I'd check it out and was thrilled to see an Oceanic section. I mainly buy my records online, but do love to support indie stores like Oh Jean, Happy Valley and Resist whenever possible. Occasionally check Discrepancy, but can't make sense of their prices.

I am guilty of having records arrive that I can't remember ordering, usually because my credit card number is saved on my computer and I like to online shop after a few drinks... I'm sure a few of you can relate!
Greetings!

Only a handful of us here, but we are here. I'm only newly landed in Melbourne, so don't really know much about the record stores here - only really had a chance to walk up Smith Street once before lockdown happened.

Take a look around the forum, and have fun! We are a pretty chilled out bunch, but stay away from the pre-order threads if you don't want that credit card to go on fire!

Knock knock - anyone home?
Was a big fan of these forums but have disappeared off the face of the earth during 'the Covid years' - being locked in a small house with the family where I couldn't blast records all day plus a really shitty year at work in 2021 meant I withdrew heavily.

But I am back and would love to keep the love going amongst the Aussie contingent. Hello to @edrooney - sounds like you're a fellow inner north resident. Happy Valley a regular haunt as is a few most of the Smith Street/Gertrude street stores.

Would love to get more info about record fairs though so hoping we can share info here as I keep missing them - bargains to be dug!!

Lets get the band back together peeps!

Val.

Since you guys all seem to be from Melbourne, I'm curious what the vinyl scene is like there in regards to Flightless Records/Flightless Factory? Are you guys generally aware of that in the community or as King Gizz fans? They seem to have really withdrawn down to just a local thing now and I'm wondering how much success they're having.

Since you guys all seem to be from Melbourne, I'm curious what the vinyl scene is like there in regards to Flightless Records/Flightless Factory? Are you guys generally aware of that in the community or as King Gizz fans? They seem to have really withdrawn down to just a local thing now and I'm wondering how much success they're having.
I'm new to the scene, so I don't really know. I was in a few record shops over the weekend and saw some getting sold, but didn't see a specific area. Not sure if there is a shop that is their exclusive place.

Knock knock - anyone home?
Was a big fan of these forums but have disappeared off the face of the earth during 'the Covid years' - being locked in a small house with the family where I couldn't blast records all day plus a really shitty year at work in 2021 meant I withdrew heavily.

But I am back and would love to keep the love going amongst the Aussie contingent. Hello to @edrooney - sounds like you're a fellow inner north resident. Happy Valley a regular haunt as is a few most of the Smith Street/Gertrude street stores.

Would love to get more info about record fairs though so hoping we can share info here as I keep missing them - bargains to be dug!!

Lets get the band back together peeps!

Val.
We could all go to the Steronet fair at the start of June? June 3 is out as it's my wedding anniversary, but any of the others?

I'm new to the scene, so I don't really know. I was in a few record shops over the weekend and saw some getting sold, but didn't see a specific area. Not sure if there is a shop that is their exclusive place.

There is indeed, the Flightless Factory is in Coburg and I believe they host impromptu live music in the courtyard on Saturdays.

Work has kept me away last couple of weeks but nice to hear from you!

@Thackeraye VERY keen on Stereonet fair - been eyeing that off for a while...

Oh man - I know Covid is far from over but super excited about upcoming gigs in Melbourne after having so many cancelled on me (The National x 2, Big Thief, Tame Impala... arrggghhh can't even think about it).

So far have locked in:
- Wolf Alice April The Forum
- Yeah Yeah Yeahs & Wet Leg (I think at the Forum again)
- The Strokes (I think that's at Rod Laver no?)

Anyone got some goodies locked in?

Back