November 2022 Challenge Thread: The TV Guide Challenge

Wednesday November 23
10:00 PM ❺ NBC Channel 5 News WMAQ Chicago
Play an album from a local artist

Jellyfish - Bellybutton

225299FA-D7EF-405E-93DF-1381EA54F877.jpeg

Jellyfish was an American rock band that formed in San Francisco in 1989. Led by songwriters Andy Sturmer (drums, vocals) and Roger Manning (keyboards, vocals), the group was known for their blend of 1970s classic rock and XTC-style power pop. They released two albums, Bellybutton (1990) and Spilt Milk (1993), that proved influential to many subsequent acts in a similar vein.

On their second album Spilt Milk they released a song called Russian Hill, my correct neighborhood.

10:00 PM ❺ NBC Channel 5 News WMAQ Chicago - Local talent
AND
10:30 PM ❻ CBS The Late Show With David Letterman - the G.O.A.T.
PXL_20221123_173936916.jpg

The Rural Alberta Advantage "Hometowns" - when I bought this record and discovered this band they were a hometown band plus the record is called Hometowns!!! I've seen them live a bunch of times and the most fun I had at one of their shows was their hometown show in Toronto! It was the end of their tour and their families came out to see them and they played a fun loose show which is really all you can ask for!
AND
A Tribe Called Quest "The Low End Theory" - not sure I remember too many rap groups on Letterman but I'm pretty sure I watched this live and probably recorded it on a VCR....

Wednesday November 23

AND

10:30 PM ❻ CBS The Late Show With David Letterman

Play an artist that preformed on Letterman

AND

Since I didn't play a Frasier album yesterday, some Seattle Grunge.

Eddie famously grew up in San Diego and worked late night shifts at a Gas Station in Old Town. Matt Cameron grew up here too. These guys played on Letterman a bunch of times, and Letterman inducted them into the Rock & Roll Hall of Fame. This clip is just over 20 years old, when the album came out. Save You is the track, and "I'm gonna save you fucker" is a continuing refrain. They got around it in the broadcast by replacing "Fucker" with "Kuffer".

Pearl Jam ~ Riot Act

1669229823568.png

Wednesday November 23
Enumclaw - Jimbo Demo
617B426D-B456-4526-9B96-117470EB5533.jpeg

Enumclaw aren’t from Enumclaw they are from Tacoma, they said the chose the name because the small town in the western Cascade foothills had a bad ass high school wrestling program. Regardless, they are the most exciting local Indie band to come out of Tacoma is quite some time.

Green Day - Dookie
57008967-A03E-40B3-A7D3-0E5E974FF634.jpeg

My nightly routine when going to bed as a kid was to watch the local NBC news broadcast, then switch over to Letterman on CBS and then back to NBC for Conan. Carson was before my time and I was too young for Letterman’s late night NBC show. I think his CBS show was probably a bit more buttoned up but overall it was still very enjoyable and funny and much better than Leno.

Dookie came out when I was in 6th grade which was about the same time I got my first bedroom Television it was a shitty 13” with no remote but I couldn’t have been more excited to be able to watch TV and play Sega Genesis in the privacy of my own room.

Wednesday November 23

Irma Thomas - Wish Someone Would Care

9373C329-2764-4D80-9034-EB202DA1D6E1.jpeg

I have to let go and accept that I am not a Washingtonian anymore and Florida is my home now. The local music scene in my town is pretty sparse but the closest real city is New Orleans, just a couple hours away. Not a bad place for music.

Wednesday November 23
Play an album from a local artist.

Nick is a great guy, we've shared the stage a couple times. He's a very talented songwriter, immersed in power pop. He even caught the ear of Little Steven and gets some spins on Underground Garage.

IMG_2762.JPG

Wednesday November 23
Play an artist that performed on Letterman

Foo Fighters - The Colour And The Shape

30F235B3-1D6E-45E5-A92A-361EDD93188E.jpeg

“Everlong” is one of Letterman’s favorite songs and was performed five times on the show, including the show when he returned after his heart attack and on his final night.

Wednesday November 23
Play an album from a local artist.

Nick is a great guy, we've shared the stage a couple times. He's a very talented songwriter, immersed in power pop. He even caught the ear of Little Steven and gets some spins on Underground Garage.

View attachment 158602
Loving seeing a little more Power Pop on the site lately!

Kurt Loewen – Becker Lake
20221123_180444.jpg

16 years ago Kurt sent me an unsolicited message on MySpace to ask if his band could open for a show I was putting on here in town for a band from Vancouver. In the years since there've been many bands, and wild adventures including a chicken tossed at a cuddle puddle, a zany theatre show and a festival director walking in on Kurt cutting my hair while I was sitting in my underwear in the basement of the festival afterparty venue! Last year, after all that, he released his first solo album. He currently lives a little over three miles away from me.

.......:::::::::::::::::::::.......

Bruce Springsteen – Tunnel Of Love
20221123_183535.jpg

The Boss helped made his debut Letterman appearance on his final show over at NBC, but the video below is from the CBS days and includes the whole mini-set, of which only two songs were aired.

Monday November 21
7:00 PM ❺ NBC My Two Dads
Play an album that features two male leads

MGMT – Little Dark Age
Columbia – 88985 47606 1, 2018

Cut by Ray Janos at Sterling
Pressed at RTI

I1reJJ.jpg

7cINoC.jpg

7:30 PM ❻ CBS Newhart
Play something that references life on the road, or a Vacation/Holiday

Motörhead – No Sleep 'til Hammersmith
Profile Records – PRO-3244, 1986

Cut by Bill Kipper at Masterdisk
Pressed at Hauppauge Record Manufacturing

p8MzBb.jpg

vX2s2Q.jpg

11:30 AM ❺ NBC NFL Football - 🏈🏈🏈
AND
7:00 PM ❸ CBS WKRP Cincinnati - Can you fly turkey?
PXL_20221124_124251516.jpg

The Daktaris Soul Explosion - go Lions? I was going to dig out my Mad Lion cassette and my Sadat X Wild Cowboys cassette but I couldn't think of any football related cassette I had so instead I went with this one which, as you can see contains FUNK! SOUL! AFRO BEAT! AND MORE!!
Speaking of and more...
The Mighty Imperials featuring Joseph Henry "Thunder Chicken" - look turkey, chicken whatever once you throw it off the roof they'll all fly away in spectacular fashion that no one will notice, no one will care!! This is also funky as hell and Joseph Henry is a national treasure! Happy Thursday everyone!

Back