November 2022 Challenge Thread: The TV Guide Challenge

Tuesday November 1, 1992
4:00 PM ❼ ABC Jeopardy!

The Strokes - Is This It
DF4EF8BD-7071-4726-9D5F-93D1B3C039CE.jpeg

Growing up, where we lived in Illinois we had a unique situation with our broadcast TV stations, because of our proximity to the networks we ended up with duplicates of all the networks. Which I have since come to realize isn’t a normal situation. We had FOX 2, NBC 5, and ABC 7 all out of Chicago (which 100 miles North) and then we had CBS 3 out of Champaign/Urbana, CBS 6, ABC 10, and NBC 25 all out of Peoria, and FOX 13 out of Bloomington/Normal. This led to a lot of duplication broadcast but also different syndication schedules meaning you had two chances a day to watch Jeopardy! You could catch the early run on ABC 7 at 4:30 PM or you could watch the ABC 10 airing at 6:30 PM. As the eldest of 3 brothers sometimes I would watch the early airing then turn it on over dinner at 6:30 and blow my brothers away with my trivia knowledge, though to their credit they caught on pretty fast.

I still love Jeopardy! today though since Trebek passed away I haven’t watched it as regularly. I do think Ken Jennings is becoming more comfortable in the role over the past year.

There is no question mark in the title but they are definitely asking a question. I have two copies of this album mainly because of the album artwork. The US album art is not as good but it’s the art that I had the CD of so I am hard pressed to get rid of either version.

7;00 PM ⓭ FOX World Series: Game 4 3

Meat Loaf - Bat Out Of Hell

6E578AFA-7699-4CEE-A816-9749ADD16ED0.jpeg
We took a road trip back home to Illinois last month and while visiting my family, I came across a shoe box of old cassette tapes most of it was garbage but I was really pumped to come across this, it’s a mixtape my Uncle Bill made me when I was like 3 years old that contains Rick Wakeman’s epic Prog masterpiece Journey To The Center Of Earth and Meat Loaf’s Bat Out Of Hell, considering how much I played this cassette as a kid I am surprised it still plays at all and even though it’s rough in a few spots still sounds quite good. Especially “Paradise By The Dashboard Light” which features former Yankees play-by-play man Phil Rizzuto, calling Meats attempt to “score”.

Tuesday November 1st, 1992

…I probably should’ve played this one first, as Jeopardy! is the earlier listing… ehh, it’s not like I’m scooping this from anyone.

LaRose Jackson b/w Menahan Street Band - How Did I Get Here?” vocal b/w instrumental

AC61697C-16BB-4847-93C1-6D62E2DCFC90.jpeg

7:00 PM ⓭ FOX World Series: Game 4

Fleetwood Mac - Tusk

IMG_7507.jpg

If you've seen the video for the title track to Tusk you'll notice Dodger Stadium plays a prominent role. Here's the backstory:

At the request of Mick Fleetwood, the band recruited the University of Southern California's Trojan Marching Band to play on the single. A mobile studio was installed in Los Angeles' Dodger Stadium to record the marching band. The recording session took place on June 4, 1979. Some recorded footage of the session made it into the song's music video. John McVie was in Tahiti during the Dodger Stadium recording, but he is represented in the video by a cardboard cutout carried around by Mick Fleetwood and later positioned in the stands with the other band members.

I hate the Dodgers but sure do love Tusk!

Tuesday November 1, 1992

Violent Femmes - Why Do Birds Sing?

I never chose to put on Jeopardy growing up, but thanks to my dad it was always on. He still watches it almost everyday. I can usually impress him with any music categories that pop up.
20221101_122900.jpg

7;00 PM ⓭ FOX World Series: Game 4 3

The Strokes - The New Abnormal

I don't think I'll find the time to catch any of the World Series. I don't watch a whole lot of baseball besides the Brewers, which doesn't always last too far into the year. I'm sure Mets fans can relate too...
20221101_123330.jpg

Tuesday November 1, 1992
Play a record or song that is in the form of a question.

I'll take gratifying music for $1000 Alex.
Jessie Ware released this record in 2020, producing five singles and receiving a nomination for Album of The Year at the Brit awards, as well as obtaining the prestigious top-5 Album placement on the year-end list of multi-thousand N&G poster Turbo.
What's Your Pleasure?, Alex. (Also, rest in peace, Alex)

Jessie Ware "What's Your Pleasure?" (2020 PMR Records)

IMG_3142.JPG

Tuesday November 1, 1992
Play a record or song that is in the form of a question.
AND
7:00 PM ⓭ FOX World Series: Game 4
Play a song that "honours" our national pastime
PXL_20221101_193218057.jpg
People Under the Stairs "Question in the Form of an Answer"....too on point?
AND
Main Source "Breaking Atoms" featuring the track "Just a Friendly Game of Baseball" which really doesn't have much to do with baseball...

Attempting to try this this month because it's been a long time, not sure I can do double hitters every time but I'll try!

Tuesday November 1, 1992
7;00 PM ⓭ FOX World Series: Game 4
Play an album that honors our National Pastime

Going for the double header today...

Bruce Springsteen "Born In The U.S.A." (1984 CBS Japan)
Glory Days is about a baseball player.
[Pressing critique interlude: picked up this pressing on an impulse at my local during the summer. Sounds excellent overall but... the recent 2015 reissue is just as good. In fact, I'm damned if I can tell them apart. The fact that I have so much difficulty differentiating an original press with the reissue is testament to how good the reissue is, I think. That said, the amount I paid for this mint copy is the same as what the reissues go for - and probably could be had for less. ]

IMG_3143.JPG

Last edited:
Tuesday November 1, 1992
Play a record or song that is in the form of a question

Sparks - Lil’ Beethoven

113611D5-5297-4CE0-876D-65138E513630.jpeg

Completely insane record featuring “How Do I Get To Carnegie Hall?” immediately followed by “What Are All These Bands So Angry About?”

Tuesday November 1, 1992

Answer: A two letter word meaning really great, for example Minutemen
Question: What is...it?

Answer: A song by Creedence, covered by Minutemen on their album Three Way Tie (for last)
Question: What is Have You Ever Seen the Rain?

I suppose this is a double dip; the Fogerty cover is just one degree of separation for the baseball prompt.
IMG_2347.JPG

It's been a long time since I participated in one of these things... we'll see how far I make it this time! Cheers to @TenderLovingKiller® for setting this up and with some creative themes to boot! 🍻

DAY 1
QUESTIONS
Bleached - Don't You Think You've Had Enough?
20221101_203516.jpg
I'd try to go for both themes but I don't know of any baseball related records I own off the top of my head. Anyways, this sounds shockingly good for a Dead Oceans pressing.

Back