(Northern) California knows how to party

Hope all my fellow Northern Californians are staying as dry and safe as possible! We've been fortunate- not even a power outage at our house, but nearby areas have flooded pretty bad, and it looks like the Salinas River is about to get high enough to cut off both the highways that connect the Monterey Peninsula to the rest of the world (hopefully only for a day or two).
I'm out in the east bay and fortunately we've had very little issues in my neighborhood so far. Just one week of rain left... For now?

In about a month I will be driving from OR to The Bay area. I'm thinking I might break the drive up by going through Red Wood country. I've never been. Anyone have any recommendations on where to stay or must sees when I'll only have, lets say, 4-6 hours each day?

In about a month I will be driving from OR to The Bay area. I'm thinking I might break the drive up by going through Red Wood country. I've never been. Anyone have any recommendations on where to stay or must sees when I'll only have, lets say, 4-6 hours each day?

Nice! Are you going on the 5 or 101?

For Redwoods, I’d recommend either coming through the East Bay into the Oakland hills, and you can check out Telegraph Ave in Berkeley, Jack London Square, Lake Merrit along the way, OR go through Marin, spend a day in Muir Woods (where they filed the Endor scenes in Return of the Jedi), then cross the Golden Gate into SF and do all the touristy stuff there (Fisherman’s Warf, Ghirardelli Square, Haight and Ashbury etc).

For Redwoods, I’d recommend either coming through the East Bay into the Oakland hills, and you can check out Telegraph Ave in Berkeley, Jack London Square, Lake Merrit along the way, OR go through Marin, spend a day in Muir Woods (where they filed the Endor scenes in Return of the Jedi), then cross the Golden Gate into SF and do all the touristy stuff there (Fisherman’s Warf, Ghirardelli Square, Haight and Ashbury etc).

Thanks! I'm not going to have a ton of time so no tourist stuff in SF for me. Really only have half the day after driving from PDX and some time in the morning before heading to south bay

Thanks! I'm not going to have a ton of time so no tourist stuff in SF for me. Really only have half the day after driving from PDX and some time in the morning before heading to south bay
Santa cruz mountains has some good redwood groves, but yeah marin, sonoma, mendocino etc all have some amazing coastal redwoods.

Most people mostly do SF when heading to the Bay, but the Oakland/Berkeley area is great too (with lots of record stores like Amoeba, Rasputin, 1-2-3-4 Go!, Econo Jam and more). And Alameda is also quaint and quiet. We lived there for a couple of years before moving to Sacramento.

Update when I drive south: will be leaving the Portland area early (6am or so) and driving south through grants pass then the plan is to take the redwood highway. Hike the boy scout tree trail then if there's time stop at the national park for the passport stamp and gift shop. Staying at the eureka inn. Next morning still up in the air before driving to the bay

If anyone is interested, I have 2 tickets to see Modest Mouse this Thursday night (May 4) in Santa Cruz. If you're short cash, they're free to anyone who would enjoy the show.

Last edited:
Back