No Buy/Spin Yr Collection Challenge - July 2022

Angel Olsen - My Woman

20220727_232208.jpg

This would still be in my top50 all time. It is the first vinyl record I purchased (from Amazon, unfortunately). I might place it a few rungs lower in the revised list, but I still absolutely love every track. I've seen her live twice, both solo and with a band/orchestral backing. The first singer/songwriter record from '10s that hooked me as an album experience, after listening to music more seriously in 2017.

Ernest Hood - Neighborhoods

20220728_230639.jpg

Field recordings from Sellwood, OR in the 70s!!! This was a very rare record until a reissue was made in 2019 on 2xLP, which sounds glorious. While not one of my absolute favorites, this one is staying in the library purely because of the proximity to me from where it was created.

City Girl - Neon Impasse

20220729_000950.jpg

One of the few Bandcamp FOMO purchases from 2019. But looking back, the kickstarter seems to now have been an investment with the last 10 copies or so having sold for an average of $150+ on Discogs. The lengths that people will go to for an album on vinyl...
As for the music itself, it's pleasant. Lo-fi beats with some jazzy textures.

Drexciya - Neptune's Lair

20220729_005333.jpg

Among the first records I bought from Musique Plastique. Techno from the Detroit scene in the late 90s; never would have heard of this without MP's help.
I had this sitting in the "to sell" bin, but will be moving it back to the shelves after this spin. Not sure what I was thinking.

Kate Bush -
Never for Ever

20220729_225032.jpg

First spin (acquired last October). She carries an artistic vision unparalleled by most in the art pop sphere.
Related: there was a Kate Bush party this past Wednesday at Holocene (small Portland venue for mostly electronic-related artists) and looked like a blast. Probably should've gone.

003F65D2-BA56-4BAC-8A94-EF2F20B757E6.jpeg

Donna Summer - On the Radio

This will be my last spin of the month! I had two goals for this month #1 was to clear my backlog that was over a year old and #2 was to spin more than 31 albums, and I’m very happy that I managed to complete both goals! Thanks @girlnevergoesout for hosting this challenge for such an incredible cause 💕

Back