No Buy/Spin Yr Collection Challenge - July 2022

Duke Ellington, Charlie Mingus, Max Roach - Money Jungle

20220721_215957.jpg

Also one of the Zavvi box items from last year. Reading up on the history of this session, seems that they were at each others' throats during recording. Ellington's perfectionist persona was rubbing off too much on the other two.
I could probably stand to offload this one. I don't like it much.

Necrot - Mortal

20220722_223358.jpg

Death metal I purchased in Portland when the AQI was at dangerous levels (I think it may have been the highest in the USA that day) two years ago. Enjoyable album that sticks to the death metal principles without any unexpected experimentation. Although looking back, it wasn't worth risking my health then, and I'm not sure I want this moving forward.

Last edited:

Carlos Maria Trindade/Nuno Canavarro - Mr. Wollogallu

20220722_235354.jpg

Side A to CMT, Side B to NC. Both are Portuguese composers who offer drastically different approaches to the ambient/new age medium, with CMT's angle being very opulent and elegant, while NC offers a more tribal and organic direction. Both sides of music are wonderful, and I can't thank Musique Plastique enough for turning me on to this three years ago.

Hiroshi Yoshimura -
Music for Nine Post Cards

20220723_112820.jpg

This would still be in a revised list of my top50 all time, likely would place higher than where it is now (#45).
This morning, I read the OBI strip of Japanese text to the right of the album name for the first time since I bought this three years ago at Musique Plastique. It reads:「 ガラス窓のむこうから送りとどけられた九枚のポストカード。この音の風景は、部屋のなかで静かな波紋をひろげる。
I translated this as best as I could to: "Nine postcards are delivered from beyond the glass window. This sound's landscapes spread through the room as quiet ripples." I wouldn't have been able to read/understand some of the text had it not been for me deciding on studying more Japanese over the course of this year, as I hadn't made a committed effort since the early years of college. I found this passage this to be very profound and spot-on.

Jon Hopkins - Music for Psychedelic Therapy

20220723_122145.jpg

This was a very generous PIF from zdkaiser (won't tag as he's not in this thread). A favorite from last year. I was only hesitant to purchase this due to price point and concerns of press quality. Outside of the negligible bowl warp on both records, it plays near flawlessly. This one should be staying in the library long term without question.

Spyro Gyra – Morning Dance

20220723_153734.jpg

My wife grabbed this out of the bargain bin two and a half years ago. Neither of us have spun it since, but she's really loving it right now and bopping about while re-potting plants and deciding this would be what she'd play if she ever had an office with a waiting room/reception area. 🤣

Back