NHL Thread Because There Isn't An NHL Thread

The San Jose Sharks are waiving Evander Kane on Sunday, reports the Mercury News' Curtis Pashelka.

If Kane goes unclaimed by Monday at 2 p.m. ET, the Sharks will assign him to their AHL affiliate, the San Jose Barracuda, Pashelka adds.

The NHL suspended the forward for 21 games in mid-October after he violated the league's COVID-19 protocol. He'll be eligible to be activated Nov. 30.

Woah. Things getting crazy in Montreal

Started last night when assistant GM Mellanby up and quit. I was certain shit was going to go down today. Only reason he'd quit is because he was told no thanks as a replacement GM. There were also already rumors about Jeff Gorton getting the nod as interim GM/future director of hockey operations to help the rebuild.

This is where we're at. Had to happen. Someone else has to lead a rebuild, pick his coach, etc.

Firesale to a certain degree probably coming up too this year.

Just to recap: the entire management office was fired or quit: Bergevin, Timmin, Wilson plus Mellanby yesterday.

Jeff Gorton is in to help find the new GM and stay on as a second.
Wow Molson really cleaned house today!

Jeff Gorton? Isn't he the former N.Y. Rangers GM??

Wow Molson really cleaned house today!

Jeff Gorton? Isn't he the former N.Y. Rangers GM??

Yes, he's the guy that orchestrated the NYR rebuild but was let go in that controversy last year with the letter (which I actually agreed with but I guess he broke the NHL omerta).

The deal in montreal is that the GM needs to be able to speak french. The issue is too much of a political hot potato and they don't need that right now. The modern way is to put management teams in place anyway, so Gorton will be a good assistant and architect. Montreal never had a director of hockey operations anyway.

Rumored for GM right now are: Mathieu Darche, Patrick Roy and Martin Madden Jr. But those are just rumors, anything could happen.

That hit Ehkman-Larsson just laid down in the Boston game was so close to being horrific. What a bonehead

Fenway Sports Group LLC, owners of the Boston Red Sox and Liverpool, have signed an agreement to purchase the Pittsburgh Penguins, reports Michael Silverman of the Boston Globe.

The purchase price is currently unknown, and the NHL still needs to approve the deal before it's official.

Pittsburgh's previous owners, Ron Burkle and Mario Lemieux, will reportedly remain part of the ownership group, and the Penguins' senior management team will stay in place.

Burkle and Lemieux have owned the Penguins since 1999, saving the franchise from bankruptcy and overseeing three Stanley Cups from 2009-17.

Fenway Sports Group reportedly sought a merger with Maple Leafs Sports and Entertainment before pursuing Pittsburgh, but the Toronto-based conglomerate wasn't interested.

The Penguins were valued at $845 million in October, the 15th-highest total in the NHL, according to Sportico.

Love Geno, but I assume he’ll practice, get through rehab, get off injury then last maybe two weeks before going back on IR. Afraid our boy’s durability hasn’t ever been awesome but this one might be the breaker.

I don’t expect him back until January. I mean there is no reason to rush him back.

Back