NHL Thread Because There Isn't An NHL Thread

That feels right, but still doesn’t change my outlook. I’d love to be wrong though. Geno is a little streaky on his best days, but I’d take one of those hot streaks any time.

I’ve always wondered what would happen if he would have put on about 10-15 pounds of muscle. When you see him in clothing, it’s not surprising that his body breaks down every year.

Just had a look and he’s only played a full 82 game season twice.

I’ve always wondered what would happen if he would have put on about 10-15 pounds of muscle. When you see him in clothing, it’s not surprising that his body breaks down every year.
Yeah, none of these forwards are huge. They’re in better shape than me (especially nowadays) but I’m (was) bigger in height and weight than a lot of them, which is always weird to think of.

Boston Bruins forward Brad Marchand received a three-game suspension for slew-footing Vancouver Canucks defenseman Oliver Ekman-Larsson, the NHL's Department of Player Safety announced Monday.

Marchand took Ekman-Larsson down early in a 3-2 Bruins victory on Sunday night.

The skilled Bruins agitator wasn't penalized for the incident, and Ekman-Larsson stayed in the game.

Marchand has been suspended and fined numerous times in his career. The 33-year-old was most recently docked $5,000 for cross-checking in 2018, and he was fined $10,000 for slew-footing then-Detroit Red Wings defenseman Niklas Kronwall in 2017.

The Bruins winger has a history of animosity with the Canucks. He was suspended five games for clipping Vancouver blue-liner Sami Salo in 2012, and he infamously sent Canucks star Daniel Sedin flying during Game 4 of the Stanley Cup Final in 2011.

I’m sure the league will find a way to suspend Kadri for Marchand’s infraction because we know there will never be any meaningful consequences in this league.

Seems like the department of player safety needs to be improved and the league should start cleaning house with repeat offenders.

Ok wait hear me out.
Two simple things to make the shootout suck less:
1) 2 drink minimum for every shooter prior to the shot
2) tendies not only allowed but encouraged to make physical contact with the shooter
How about bringing out bigger nets and the shooter has to shoot from one spot.

It appears Evgeni Malkin will require more time recovering from offseason knee surgery than initially anticipated.

Pittsburgh Penguins president of hockey operations Brian Burke pumped the breaks on any possible return in the near future for Malkin, despite the fact that the star center participated in the team's morning skate Monday.

"He's not close to playing," Burke told Sportsnet, according to Seth Rorabaugh of the Pittsburgh Tribune-Review. "He's still a ways away. But just his presence out there gave us a lift.

"He's an elite player. He's a great kid and it was really nice to see him out there, even though, like I say, let's not get carried away here. This guy still (has) some time to go."

Malkin underwent knee surgery in June. He was given a timeline of "at least two more months" on Sept. 23.

But despite missing Malkin and Sidney Crosby being out for 12 games, the Penguins entered Monday with a 10-7-4 record.

Malkin's recovery has significant international ramifications as well. If he's unable to return in time for the Olympics in February, the Russian Olympic Committee will be razor thin down the middle of the ice, considering Evgeny Kuznetsov is still serving a four-year ban by the IIHF. That would leave Ivan Barbashev as the nation's top remaining center option from the NHL.

The 35-year-old Malkin was productive when healthy in 2020-21, recording 28 points in 33 games.

Colorado Avalanche superstar Nathan MacKinnon will suit up against the Toronto Maple Leafs on Wednesday night, head coach Jared Bednar confirmed Tuesday.

"He'll be in," Bednar said on Denver's Altitude Sports Radio. "He'll be playing (Wednesday). It would take a lot to keep him out."

MacKinnon has missed the last eight games with a lower-body injury. Bednar said on Nov. 10 that MacKinnon would miss "give or take three weeks."

The 26-year-old has produced a goal and nine assists over eight games this season.

Colorado went 7-1-0 during his most recent absence. MacKinnon also missed the first two contests of the campaign, over which the club went 1-1-0.

The bolstered Avalanche will face a Maple Leafs squad that's currently the hottest team in the NHL. Toronto has won four straight games and nine of the last 10.

😷

Boston Bruins head coach Bruce Cassidy is in COVID-19 protocol, the club announced.

Cassidy has mild symptoms, and assistant coach Joe Sacco will assume primary duties behind the bench, Bruins general manager Don Sweeney said Tuesday, according to the Boston Globe's Matt Porter.

Boston is already without suspended star Brad Marchand, who was handed a three-game ban Monday for slew-footing Vancouver Canucks defenseman Oliver Ekman-Larsson on Sunday.

It hasn't been an ideal 24-hour period for the Bruins. Forward Jake DeBrusk's agent confirmed Monday his client is requesting a trade. He will remain with the team while the club and his representative try to arrange a deal.

Boston entered Tuesday's action sitting in fifth place in the Atlantic Division - albeit fourth in terms of point percentage - with a record of 11-7-0.

Back