NHL Thread Because There Isn't An NHL Thread

I’m curious to see how much Center Ice will be.
Does Center Ice still exist? I used to have that in the early oughts and it was amazing with all of the juniors/college/Euro/Eastern leagues, etc.

Alas, around here it’s whatever NBCSN puts in front of us or subbing to NHL.tv to stream. Or the screwy Sling + NHLN hoop jumping.

@Turbo

Was just about to comment on it. Not sure how I feel about it, but from what I understand the idea is to build some extra bottom-6 depth. The bench may come in more this year even if players are healthy because of the compressed schedule.

The Habs are going for balance across the 4 lines and defensive pairings this year, because they don't have the top end of the other Canadian teams. On paper, it does look good. The plan is to take advantage of the weaker depth of the other teams, sort of like the Habs-Pens series.
i could tell you how i feel everytime i see the guys face...

....:sick:

Does Center Ice still exist? I used to have that in the early oughts and it was amazing with all of the juniors/college/Euro/Eastern leagues, etc.

Alas, around here it’s whatever NBCSN puts in front of us or subbing to NHL.tv to stream. Or the screwy Sling + NHLN hoop jumping.
It does. I've had it for the last 10 years. I get it slightly discounted because my wife works for the local cable company.

Chicago Blackhawks captain Jonathan Toews will miss the start of the upcoming campaign due to an illness and there is no timetable for his return, the team announced Tuesday.

"This offseason, I've been experiencing symptoms that have left me feeling drained and lethargic. I am working with doctors so I can better understand my condition," Toews said.

"Until I can get my health back to a place where I feel I can perform at an elite level and help my team, I will not be joining the Blackhawks for training camp. I do not have a timetable for when I will rejoin the team. I am extremely disappointed, but it wouldn't be fair to myself or my teammates to attempt to play in my current condition."

Toews registered 60 points in 70 games last season while finishing 15th in Selke Trophy voting and also added five goals with four assists in nine postseason contests.

Chicago's center depth will be put to the test early, as the Blackhawks expect phenom Kirby Dach to miss the first four-to-five months after undergoing wrist surgery.

Dylan Strome, who remains an unsigned restricted free agent, is projected as the team's top center to begin the campaign, followed by offseason additions Carl Soderberg and Lucas Wallmark.

Chara to the Capitals. They’re really into old dudes
Future Hall of Fame defenseman Zdeno Chara signed a one-year, $795,000 contract with the Washington Capitals on Wednesday following a 14-year run with the Boston Bruins, the team announced.

Chara posted a heartfelt farewell to Boston on his Instagram and revealed the Bruins initiated the divorce.

"The Boston Bruins have informed me that they plan to move forward with their many younger and talented players and I respect their decision," he said. "Unfortunately, my time as the proud captain of the Bruins has come to an end."

Chara initially signed with the Bruins on a five-year, $37.5-million contract as a free agent in 2006. The deal is widely considered one of the best free-agent signings of all time.

The towering 6-foot-9 rearguard was immediately named Boston's captain during his first season and won the Norris Trophy three years later as the league's top defenseman. He then captained the Bruins to a Stanley Cup in 2011 and made two more finals appearances in 2013 and 2019.

During his 14 seasons in Boston, Chara was a two-time first-team All-Star and a three-time second-team All-Star. He sits sixth on the Bruins' all-time games played list and third among defensemen, trailing only Ray Bourque and Don Sweeney - Boston's current general manager.

The 43-year-old played in 68 games with the Bruins last season, recording five goals, nine assists, 101 blocks, and 78 hits while averaging 21:01 per contest. The underlying numbers aren't friendly to him offensively, but he can still help in the defensive zone, as outlined by HockeyViz's Micah Blake McCurdy:

Even with Michal Kempny recovering from a torn Achilles tendon, the Capitals still have eight NHL-caliber defensemen. Here's a look at the projected depth chart:

LDRD
Brenden DillonJohn Carlson
Dmitry OrlovJustin Schultz
Zdeno CharaNick Jensen
Jonas SiegenthalerTrevor van Riemsdyk
The Capitals and Bruins are scheduled to play each other eight times this season, with the first meeting coming Jan. 30 in Washington. Chara will make his return to Boston on March 3.

Alberta became the first province to green-light NHL games Thursday, the province said in a statement to The Canadian Press.

Provincial lawmakers approved Calgary and Edmonton for competition on Dec. 25 after examining the league's return-to-play protocols.

Meanwhile, Canada's federal government agreed to allow the start of NHL training camps, citing "national interest grounds."

The four other Canadian provinces that host NHL teams - British Columbia, Manitoba, Ontario, and Quebec - still need to sign off on permitting NHL games.

All seven Canadian clubs will play in the same division as part of the league's realignment for the upcoming campaign.

The Columbus Blue Jackets have secured forward Pierre-Luc Dubois' services for the next two seasons at an average annual value of $5 million, the club announced Thursday.

Dubois was a restricted free agent.

The 22-year-old led Columbus with 49 points and ranked third on the team with 18 goals in 2019-20. It was his third campaign with the Blue Jackets, who drafted him third overall in 2016.

Dubois produced a career-high 27 goals and 61 points in 2018-19.

The Columbus Blue Jackets have secured forward Pierre-Luc Dubois' services for the next two seasons at an average annual value of $5 million, the club announced Thursday.

Dubois was a restricted free agent.

The 22-year-old led Columbus with 49 points and ranked third on the team with 18 goals in 2019-20. It was his third campaign with the Blue Jackets, who drafted him third overall in 2016.

Dubois produced a career-high 27 goals and 61 points in 2018-19.
I like it because he’s ours now for 2 years but I don’t...wish he wanted a longer one. Dude is a stud here...pay him the cash 💰

I like it because he’s ours now for 2 years but I don’t...wish he wanted a longer one. Dude is a stud here...pay him the cash 💰
Despite inking a two-year contract on Thursday, it appears Pierre-Luc Dubois isn't happy with the Columbus Blue Jackets.

The young forward, who was a restricted free agent, and his camp preferred a shorter pact this offseason to give general manager Jarmo Kekalainen time to potentially facilitate a trade, and because it means Dubois avoids being locked in with Columbus long term, according to The Athletic's Aaron Portzline.

The relationship between Dubois and the Blue Jackets changed during negotiations this offseason, sources told Portzline.

It was reported shortly before his $10-million deal was announced that Dubois could be looking for a change of scenery, but Kekalainen and agent Pat Brisson both declined to comment on the matter.

Columbus drafted Dubois third overall in 2016, and he's the club's most promising young forward. The 22-year-old registered a team-leading 49 points in 70 games last season before adding 10 points in 10 playoff games.

The Blue Jackets are set to open training camp Jan. 3, and they'll kick off their 2021 season Jan. 14 versus the Nashville Predators.

Despite inking a two-year contract on Thursday, it appears Pierre-Luc Dubois isn't happy with the Columbus Blue Jackets.

The young forward, who was a restricted free agent, and his camp preferred a shorter pact this offseason to give general manager Jarmo Kekalainen time to potentially facilitate a trade, and because it means Dubois avoids being locked in with Columbus long term, according to The Athletic's Aaron Portzline.

The relationship between Dubois and the Blue Jackets changed during negotiations this offseason, sources told Portzline.

It was reported shortly before his $10-million deal was announced that Dubois could be looking for a change of scenery, but Kekalainen and agent Pat Brisson both declined to comment on the matter.

Columbus drafted Dubois third overall in 2016, and he's the club's most promising young forward. The 22-year-old registered a team-leading 49 points in 70 games last season before adding 10 points in 10 playoff games.

The Blue Jackets are set to open training camp Jan. 3, and they'll kick off their 2021 season Jan. 14 versus the Nashville Predators.
Oh I’m aware🤦🏻‍♂️😡

I want him here for many years to come but this sets up a haul if he wants to leave next season and has a great year this year

First post of 2021...

The NHL plans to stage a two-game "Outdoor Weekend" showcase at Lake Tahoe in Nevada during the 2020-21 season, according to Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman.

The event will see the Colorado Avalanche take on the Vegas Golden Knights on Feb. 20 before the Boston Bruins face the Philadelphia Flyers on Feb. 21, reports Friedman.

Both games will reportedly take place at Edgewood Tahoe Resort, which hosts a popular celebrity golf tournament, and will be played around the 16th, 17th, and 18th holes.

Fans will not be permitted to attend the event, which will be limited to about 400 people including players, team staff, and workers, notes Friedman. He adds that this will give TV broadcasters a unique opportunity to use devices such as drone cameras during game coverage.

The NHL has reportedly been looking to stage an event at an aesthetically pleasing venue during an unusual season. Lake Louise in Alberta was one option that was considered, according to Friedman, as was Park City, Utah.

First post of 2021...

The NHL plans to stage a two-game "Outdoor Weekend" showcase at Lake Tahoe in Nevada during the 2020-21 season, according to Sportsnet's Elliotte Friedman.

The event will see the Colorado Avalanche take on the Vegas Golden Knights on Feb. 20 before the Boston Bruins face the Philadelphia Flyers on Feb. 21, reports Friedman.

Both games will reportedly take place at Edgewood Tahoe Resort, which hosts a popular celebrity golf tournament, and will be played around the 16th, 17th, and 18th holes.

Fans will not be permitted to attend the event, which will be limited to about 400 people including players, team staff, and workers, notes Friedman. He adds that this will give TV broadcasters a unique opportunity to use devices such as drone cameras during game coverage.

The NHL has reportedly been looking to stage an event at an aesthetically pleasing venue during an unusual season. Lake Louise in Alberta was one option that was considered, according to Friedman, as was Park City, Utah.
Yo can you imagine a game on Lake Louise?! I've only been there in the summer, but my god that would be scenic.

The Pittsburgh Penguins locked up defenseman John Marino with a six-year contract extension that carries an average annual value of $4.4 million, the team announced Sunday.

Marino, 23, has one season remaining on his entry-level contract, so the deal will kick in for the 2021-22 campaign.

"We are very fortunate to have a young, skilled defenseman like John in our organization," general manager Jim Rutherford said. "His rookie season proved he is a top-four defenseman with great hockey sense. We were impressed with his strong defensive play and look forward to watching him develop offensively."

The Edmonton Oilers drafted Marino in 2015. He then spent three seasons at Harvard before Edmonton dealt his rights to the Pens for a sixth-round pick prior to his rookie campaign in 2019-20.

Marino showed plenty of promise as an NHL freshman, registering 26 points in 56 games while averaging over 20 minutes per night.

General manager Jim Rutherford believes he can keep the Pittsburgh Penguins' Stanley Cup window open in the latter stages of the Sidney Crosby era by making a splash in free agency.

The Pens only project to hold $5.4 million in cap space next offseason, according to CapFriendly. However, they could have nearly $35 million in flexibility after the 2022 campaign when Evgeni Malkin, Kris Letang, Bryan Rust, and others come off the books. That might be when Rutherford plans to strike.

"The key to this as we go forward a couple of years down the road will be plugging in an impact player into the lineup. Maybe a couple of impact players. Not just a good player, but an impact guy," Rutherford told The Athletic's Josh Yohe. "It's hard to get the truly impactful guys, players like Crosby, Malkin, and Letang. But the time will come when we'll have to add one of those types of players.

"It's something we'll probably have to do through free agency. We'll have to find the right year to do it, but the time will come when we'll need to find a truly impactful player who is probably in his mid-20s. As the years go on and some of the veterans eventually move out of our lineup, we'll have to get two, three guys in their mid-20s. Impactful players. We can do it."

It's typically difficult to add high-impact players in their mid-20s through unrestricted free agency. Most players are in their late-20s or early-30s when they hit the open market. Nevertheless, the 2022 UFA class includes a long list of players who should still be in their primes. Here are the most noteworthy:

PLAYERPOSITION2022 AGE
Aleksander BarkovC26
Mika ZibanejadC29
Sean CouturierC29
Filip ForsbergLW27
Johnny GaudreauLW28
Seth JonesD27
Ryan PulockD27
Morgan RiellyD28
John KlingbergD29
*Age as of July 1, 2022

Of course, many of these players could re-sign with their current clubs before reaching free agency. However, the idea that a superstar free agent would be intrigued by possibly playing with Crosby and Malkin in the duo's final years isn't lost on Rutherford.

"Nope," the Hall of Fame executive said with a laugh.

Back