NHL Thread Because There Isn't An NHL Thread

How about....go Dallas!

Love the series ending handshake line. One of the best things about sports.

Have no interest in seeing Suter getting a cup, Pavelski would be ok I guess. Definitely have to go with Florida or Carolina because Dallas and Vegas are my least favorite teams in the West. Dallas also has kind of a drive by fan base. Don't really care until they make it deep in the playoffs.

Have no interest in seeing Suter getting a cup, Pavelski would be ok I guess. Definitely have to go with Florida or Carolina because Dallas and Vegas are my least favorite teams in the West. Dallas also has kind of a drive by fan base. Don't really care until they make it deep in the playoffs.
Stars were 7th in total attendance during the 2021-2022 season and their games were 96% full for most of the season. Stars fans are a pretty loyal bunch for a fan base that hasn't celebrated a cup win since 1999.

I'm rooting for Dallas I think, mostly because of Joe Pavelski! Although I wouldn't mine seeing Brent Burns lift Lord Stanley šŸ¤·

Stars were 7th in total attendance during the 2021-2022 season and their games were 96% full for most of the season. Stars fans are a pretty loyal bunch for a fan base that hasn't celebrated a cup win since 1999.

Maybe my Nashville Predators bias is coming out. I will say this about Dallas, they have drafted really well. That 2017 draft especially. Looks like Wyatt Johnson is going to be pretty good as well.

šŸ‘€

The Calgary Flames don't want the Pittsburgh Penguins contacting Brad Treliving about their general manger vacancy - at least for the time being.

The Penguins wanted to reach out to the ex-Flames GM as part of their initial round of interviews, but the Flames wouldn't allow it, reports The Athletic's Pierre LeBrun. Calgary said Pittsburgh would need to wait until Treliving's contract expires June 30 before contacting him.

Though the Flames are paying Treliving for another six weeks or so, the team and the executive agreed to part ways in mid-April. Don Maloney took over as president of hockey operations and interim GM.

The Penguins fired GM Ron Hextall along with president of hockey operations Brian Burke a few days before Calgary and Treliving made their decision official.

Pittsburgh reportedly interviewed 10-12 candidates in the first round of discussions about the GM role, including Peter Chiarelli and Marc Bergevin.

The Penguins are slated to draft 14th overall next month. Calgary will be on the clock two picks later.

Treliving assembled a Flames squad that won the Pacific Division last season. However, Calgary lost in the second round of the playoffs in 2021-22 and failed to make the postseason this campaign after a roller-coaster offseason in which management was forced to overhaul the roster.

The 53-year-old was initially lauded for acquiring Jonathan Huberdeau and Mackenzie Weegar from the Florida Panthers in exchange for Matthew Tkachuk, but the former didn't mesh with head coach Darryl Sutter and had a disappointing season. Calgary fired Sutter in early May.

Treliving had served as Flames GM since April 2014. He drafted the likes of Dillon Dube, Rasmus Andersson, and Andrew Mangiapane and was never afraid to make a blockbuster trade or signing. In 2018, he landed Elias Lindholm and Noah Hanifin in an ill-advised swap with the Carolina Hurricanes in which he gave up future Norris Trophy winner Adam Fox.

The former GM signed Nazem Kadri to a seven-year, $49-million pact last summer, but the gritty forward had a somewhat disappointing campaign. Kadri enjoyed a career year with the Stanley Cup champion Colorado Avalanche last season.

Before joining the Flames, Treliving was the Arizona Coyotes' assistant GM.

Will Uncle Gary finally admit he was wrong? Or will he block a move to Canada?
Tune in next week for the next exciting episode!
Unfortunately the team will not be relocating to Quebec as that would create an imbalance in the conferences šŸ¤· Houston or Kansas City would be more probable destinations imo šŸ˜‰

Where do Coyotes go from here?

The most important part of the statements coming out of Tuesdayā€™s referendum, from both the team and the NHL, is what was left unsaid. There have been plenty of pivot points for the Coyotes over the last two decades, and plenty of official releases from the major stakeholders.

Theyā€™ve always contained some variation on the phrase, ā€œour focus remains on securing a future for the franchise in Arizona.ā€ This time, its absence is conspicuous. ā€” Gentille

Assessing relocation options

Relocation talk had already swirled, and now itā€™s likely to kick into overdrive. Houston and Atlanta are, no doubt, on top of the list.

Both are gigantic U.S. media markets. The former has a hockey-ready arena in the Toyota Center and, in Rockets owner Tillman Fertitta, a potential buyer. Atlanta has an in-the-works arena deal in suburban Alpharetta, spearheaded by a group that would love to give the area a third shot at the NHL.

Quebec City will pop up too, as it did during the Vegas and Seattle expansion process, but the feeling there is that the cityā€™s time has passed. Thereā€™s an arena, sure, but no corporate base to speak of and a metropolitan area of about 800,000 people. ā€” Gentille

Canada 10000% needs another team. Curren representation numbers is fucking stupid. If the league can move Arizona from the pacific to central, they figure out a solution to make Quebec or another city work.

Atlanta seems stupid considering the Thrashers and Houston doesnā€™t need a hockey team.

Bettman needs to pull his head out of his ass and see the American south isnā€™t the answer.

Back